Tips for choosing a server

Nostromo86

Nostromo86

hello,

I would like to take a dedicated server or vps on windows for 25 users and only strm. Do you have any advice? a good web host?

Actually i have this Intel Core i5 9600k 64GB DDR4 and ssd on IKOULA. But i have a lot of problem with IKOULA host. I want to change

Thank you 

rodainas

From my experience using a vps, not exactly the same scenario as you, but in general it should help.

For the connections
Look for good upload speed (250mbit and upwards, this depends on the quality and bitrate of your media), better if its unmetered or a high bandwidth limit.

Server and users  location is important too, you need good peering otherwise the users will get bad speeds from server, you can try putting it behind cloudfare it normally helps with peering issues.

For the specs:

Also it depends if you are going to be using transcoding a lot or not and  how many users will be transcoding at the same time (processor power). 
A minimum of 4gb of ram to avoid problems 

Hi, Personally (just me), I would not use strm files for that many users especially if the media files are mounted on some remote storage cloud.

I would build a dedicated server with adequate storage to hold the media you want to have loaded. Personally I'd rather have 500 movies and 50 TV Shows local that are great than 5000K movies and 500 TV Shows. Quality over Quantity IMHO.  So a single 8 to 16TB drive would be plenty of storage to start with.

I would use an i5 to i7 Intel CPU with at least a 10th Gen proc or add a Nvidia GPU which should comfortably handle any transcoding.

I would bank on having 10 to 15Mb of upload bandwidth per simultaneous user. 15Mb being more optimal for at least the first 5 users.