HEVC Playing On NUC Pc - Fan Noise Too Loud

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

Recently i noticed that some of the videos i play make NUC pc cooling fan go very loud and it seems to be whenever i play HEVC files. The fan noise is so bad that its drowning out the sound, i cant turn the volume up too high because of my neighbours. If i play the same file using VLC i dont even hear the fan increase at all. Why is Emby causing this to happen when VLC can play the file effortlessly? cheers guys ;)

Hi, this would likely be because you're trying to playback HEVC on a client that can't play it back so the server has to transcode it to AVC.  Likely you do not have GPU assisted transcoding so it's done on the CPU which makes it run hot and of course kick in the fans.

What client are you currently using?

• Like 2

mystic.bertie
19 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, this would likely be because you're trying to playback HEVC on a client that can't play it back so the server has to transcode it to AVC.  Likely you do not have GPU assisted transcoding so it's done on the CPU which makes it run hot and of course kick in the fans.

What client are you currently using?

Thanks for your reply mate. Im using Emby Theatre 3.0.15 ans Emby Server 4.6.2.0. The video is direct playing when this happens. Like i said the fans are quiet when using VLC. ;)

Try this for me.  Play back one of these media files then go look at your logs.

Do you see a log file starting with ffmpeg with the same time as when you started playing this file?
If so upload that ffmpeg file here please.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie

Thanks for your reply the log file just says 'embyserver.txt' ;)

mystic.bertie
1 hour ago, generiq said:

Make sure hardware acceleration is set to auto

thanks for your reply, it is set to auto as is the first 4 video settings ;)

generiq

My guess is that the video is 10bit and your hardware doesn't support the pixel format, so it falls back to software, and then the fan kicks on. Try auto copyback.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mystic.bertie said:

Thanks for your reply the log file just says 'embyserver.txt' ;)

You don't have any ffmpeg named files looking at the Logs menu like this?
image.png.28d9d23b4adb2c4a240f67421e443830.png

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
1 hour ago, generiq said:

My guess is that the video is 10bit and your hardware doesn't support the pixel format, so it falls back to software, and then the fan kicks on. Try auto copyback.

Thanks for your reply. The bit depth is 8 bit according to Mediainfo. I tried auto copy back but it did not help im afraid. ;)

mystic.bertie
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

You don't have any ffmpeg named files looking at the Logs menu like this?

No mate they all look like this.

Capture.JPG

OK, thanks for checking.

I just went back and re-read your op post.  Do you have a NUC you use for running Theater as well as a separate Emby Server?

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK, thanks for checking.

I just went back and re-read your op post.  Do you have a NUC you use for running Theater as well as a separate Emby Server?

Yes that is correct, sorry for not mentioning that.

OK so what is likely happening is that the client, not the server is trying to process this file and that is what is kicking in the fans.

If you play this back in Theater and bring up stats for nerds what does it show?  Can you grab a screen shot?

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
36 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK so what is likely happening is that the client, not the server is trying to process this file and that is what is kicking in the fans.

If you play this back in Theater and bring up stats for nerds what does it show?  Can you grab a screen shot?

thanks and here you go 

Capture.thumb.JPG.1fff1a0eb3913b9eec88a3b2d61689c4.JPG

Captureb.JPG

generiq

There's your answer. It's dropping frames. Switch your hardware acceleration back to auto and change the renderer to GPU.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

mystic.bertie
27 minutes ago, generiq said:

There's your answer. It's dropping frames. Switch your hardware acceleration back to auto and change the renderer to GPU.

Wow this is amazing, it works great now and there is no fan noise at all. Well done to everyone and very well spotted mate ;) Your a star :)

mystic.bertie
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback !

no problem and im glad there was an easy solution. ;)

• Like 1