recognizing subtitles folders

macv

I noticed that a lot of videos put subtitles in a folder, most often "Subs".

As a feature request, can emby look in subdirs for the subtitles?

Currently, you'd need to copy the subtitle files up a level, rename them to the same name as the video, and then remember to clean up the file afterwards because utorrent does not delete the copied file when cleaning things up.

Hi, You really don't want to point Emby to folders that have been created by torrent or magnet programs as they rarely follow our naming guides.
Instead what you really want to do is run those downloads through a naming program such as bulk renamer or filebot which will create proper folders and rename files correctly to match Emby naming guides for Movies and TV Shows.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Edited by cayars

@cayars eh I'd imagine most people really do *not* want to be running a naming program [and breaking other stuff].

And that we'd really want Emby to recognize what's already there, to take the extra small step of looking in a subdir.

@Luke has not worked for the 10+ files I've tried that are in their own folders. I've always had to do the copy & rename process in the OP.

Edited by macv

No I think you'll find most people do this because you really do not want music, tv and movies together as each needs its own location and very different types of libraries setup for them. There is no "other stuff" involved once your media is in Emby. You do not want other programs constantly reading or writing to areas where your libraries are stored as that will cause constant rescanning. You certainly don't want partially downloaded files in your Emby libraries.  Emby is not going to work well sitting on top a torrent seed if that is what you are thinking.

In order to take advantage of many of Emby's features you need to name your files per our guides. Certain things in Emby only work this way.

How you source your files is your business but add a proper file naming step to your set of routines before you add them to Emby so that your following our guides mentioned above.

Hmm what does music have to do with this?

constantly reading or writing
what exactly would be constantly reading/writing? The suggestion is for Emby to look at the subdir for subtitles, that's it, and seems like an oversight that it wasn't done when looking for subtitles at all.

In order to take advantage of many of Emby's features 

this is a feature request, I understand if it's rejected but it is about enhancing the way it works and not how to conform to the way it currently works, which I already know how to do and am saying it's not a good workaround

I have no idea how/what you use torrents for but the 3 media types I mentioned are quite commonly used. Some people try to use Emby on top of there "seed" files which is not going to work well if at all. If you use utorrent, keep the download paths away from your Emby libraries and there is nothing more to discuss as they are now independent systems. 

You can then move finished media from one system to the other and do any file renaming at this point in the transfer.  That's what I was getting at before.

Got you on the feature request.  It's a really good request. Like Luke said, we do this for Movies already, just not for shows but I'm sure it would be welcome there as well!

we do this for Movies already,

Has this worked before for you? I don't remember it working in the past couple of years since I've used Emby.

The file structure would be like:
movies/foo/foo.mkv
movies/foo/Subs/english.srt

And Emby does not recognize the subtitle. I have to move english.srt up to foo/, rename it to foo.srt, and only then does Emby recognize the subtitle.

Edited by macv

I honestly don't know how this should work.  I know I haven't documented it nor seen it that I can remember.

@Luke any ideas on this?

When a movie is in it's own folder you can have a "subs" or a "subtitles" sub-folder containing subtitle files.

19 minutes ago, Luke said:

When a movie is in it's own folder you can have a "subs" or a "subtitles" sub-folder containing subtitle files.

Sorry to be a broken record but that has _never_ worked for me since using Emby from a few years ago, using the file structure listed above.

Did you try it?

The suggestion here is to not have to change anything on the filesystem, and for Emby to look into subdirs no matter how they're named.

Edited by macv

bump. If it’s supposed to work with a lowercase sub folder, (I no longer have the file to try, is it in the code?), would it be reasonable to modify to support variations of the name, if not remove restrictions on the name altogether?

Happy2Play

Yes subfolder subs/Subs does work but filenames are still required to match the media.

@Lukeshould the subs subfolder require subtitle specific naming or have the same tolerance as a trailers subfolder (no naming restriction)?

subs.thumb.jpg.eb0515ff696239ee5c690a61f1c1243e.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Many if not most examples I’ve seen name subtitle files by the language only if packaged with the video file.

Hopefully variations of “subtitle” subdir names also get recognized, and not just “subs”?

• 4 weeks later...

Came across more "English.srt", "english.srt", "0-English.srt" variations in a subfolder. Had to move and rename.

How about relaxing the rules for detection?  I don't see the benefit of treating folders and files differently.

That can be handled separately, if a folder contains more than Foo.vid and Foo*sample*.vid among video files.

Edited by macv

On 6/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, Luke said:

Yes, try lowercasing the subs folder.

I realize I'm barking up a dead end but just thought I'd throw the issue out there in case others would like to see the same thing.

And as a general comment, it took way too many posts to communicate the issue.

This quote, for example. It was actually a "No, I tried something other than what was described" in lowercasing the subs folder. Doing something different is not how to repro an issue.

• 1 year later...
oligopoly

I completely recognise this request from @macv and would absolutely love emby to handle these better. I prefer to watch most things with subtitles and it is such a pain to remember to have to cut and paste then rename to match the filename in order to get the sub playing properly. It would be one of the best possible updates I could think of if emby was able to scan the folder for subtitles and then load up the subtitle file(s) as options to select when playing the movie/tv show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
strichmo

This is still a massive pain with Emby. I understand the restrictions around naming to avoid problems with flat folder structure but surely the following ruleset works for all cases and would greatly improve the usability of honestly the majority of users:

If there is a "subs" folder alongside the movie, look in that folder and accept sub files with only the language name "english.srt". Otherwise only look for subs matching the "filename+lang.srt"

Mnejing

I'm sorry, but is the complaint here that Emby is making seeding pirated torrents too difficult?

If the main concern is dealing with people stuck using literally decades-old conventions for subtitle folders so that you can keep seeding, there are trivial ways to do this. First, decide what arbitrary system you want to deal with, but a hint is you're playing by Emby rules, not scene.

So keep seeding your subs folder, convert your srt file, rename it to the same as the video+.en.srt

It takes less than a minute to deal with it yourself.

There's too much generalizing in here though, a lot of anecdotal "majority of users" statements aren't worth the effort to type out.

I'm sorry if this comes across as terse or overly direct, but I think it's worth saying. If you're pirating your content, you can take the extra literal minute it takes to rename your subs.

I'm meticulous about my subtitles, and it really does only take a minute to name things.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, strichmo said:

This is still a massive pain with Emby. I understand the restrictions around naming to avoid problems with flat folder structure but surely the following ruleset works for all cases and would greatly improve the usability of honestly the majority of users:

If there is a "subs" folder alongside the movie, look in that folder and accept sub files with only the language name "english.srt". Otherwise only look for subs matching the "filename+lang.srt"

This should be improved with the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.