4.6.1 vs. 4.5.4 - partially slow in browsing in libraries/collections

letterman

letterman

After the update using emby in everyday use it is very very slow and demotivating.

My librarysize may be huge (5 GB) and contains a mass of files with ~30 libraries.

But the new speed is totally different to 4.5.4, which was not the fastest, but for daily use ok.

I think, because everything is tag based now, each procedure requires a database requiry through the whole database.

In detail: On the start screen it is impossible to activate "show new media". I lasts minutes till I get the lists. On mobile app it does not load at all, stops after a few lists - maybe timeout.

While browsing and navigating to albums, it also takes a long time to see the content of each album.

Opening Collection takes a long time, too and so on.

What is working fine is browsing in folder view.

I hope you will find a solution to speed up the database quiries and/or develop a tool to really cleanup old, unused, wrong entries in the database.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Sorry I can't say I have the same experience.  I believe this new version is actually faster for me.

But can only assume you need to tweak the hidden configs to optimize your system.  Some discussion here.

5 minutes ago, letterman said:

I hope you will find a solution to speed up the database quiries and/or develop a tool to really cleanup old, unused, wrong entries in the database.

Honesetly unless you are manually digging through the database what's there is there.  I have a original build with a database with multiple obsolete tables and bloat do to multiple changes over the years, but don't feel it is time to start from scratch yet.  But would almost guarantee there would be better performance on a clean new install.

Hi, Could you give us a bit of info about your system?
What OS are you running on?
What type of hardware?  SSD for Emby or HDD?

Can you upload you latest server log so we can take a look to see if there is anything out of the ordinary?

letterman

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz 
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
8 GB RAM
512 SSD
W10 20H2
@cayars I do send you the log PM

I was hoping to be able to get another server log since your last one has a lot of fanart errors in it due to their certificate issue.  But right now it's still a problem.

I do however see many queries taking 4+ seconds that should be rather quick to execute.
There are a few things we can do to optimize your database.  Do you know how to get to the config xml files on your computer for Emby?

For me on Windows they are stored here
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config

You would need to change Administrator to your own name if using the standard install location.
If you can find the system.xml file I have a couple things to try.  Let me know.

Carlo

letterman

@cayars: No problem. I have access ...\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml file

OK Shutdown Emby Server.  With it shutdown make a copy of system.xml.

Now open it in notepad or other text editor.

The following options the same way as shown here:
  <VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>true</VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>
  <DatabaseCacheSizeMB>512</DatabaseCacheSizeMB>
  <EnableSqLiteMmio>true</EnableSqLiteMmio>

Save the file and restart Emby Server.  It's going to do a database optimization on startup so don't be alarmed if you can't get into the system for a few minutes.  Just be patient and wait.

Once back in try normal activities but don't do any scans or refreshes right now as one of the providers is having an issue.  We just want to see if normal activity feels better/faster.

Carlo

PS if you hit any issues, stop and reach out to me via PM and I'll assist.

letterman

@cayars Thx. That helped! No my database is just 2,7 GB from 5 GB before. The whole behavior seems to be fine on the first look. Still a little bit slow is requesting "new media" on the start screen. I have about 25 libraries. I know it a challenge, it loads 1:30 Min. to show them all. Is there a possibility to try a couple of more things to make the database faster? by the way: I use 4.7.00 beta now. 4.6.1.0 was not working at all with my database. Luke helped me changing some parameters.

What version are you running?  Can you take a look at the dashboard to confirm?

18 minutes ago, letterman said:

I have about 25 libraries.... it loads 1:30 Min. to show them all. Is there a possibility to try a couple of more things to make the database faster?

Do you really need to see latest rows for all of those libraries?  You could exclude some of them from the latest media section...

Depending on your needs you can change the sort order of your libraries to show most recent at the top.  If you do that you may find you don't even want all those sections on your home screen.  I keep mine nice and tidy with only continue and next up present.

letterman

@ebr no, to be honest, I can reduce it, but it is very nice to see them all

@cayars i will try to reduce it 🙂

joking aside: i think we solved this problem with the slow database. It never can be fast enough. 
  <DatabaseCacheSizeMB>512</DatabaseCacheSizeMB> May a larger cache will speed it up even more?

A quick way to test is to create a new user and just remove any canned home page items. Then give this user access to all libs.

This way you don't have to touch your main account until satisfied with results you get with the test account.

2 hours ago, letterman said:

@ebr no, to be honest, I can reduce it, but it is very nice to see them all

@cayars i will try to reduce it 🙂

joking aside: i think we solved this problem with the slow database. It never can be fast enough. 
  <DatabaseCacheSizeMB>512</DatabaseCacheSizeMB> May a larger cache will speed it up even more?

You could try 1024 but I doubt if it will help much.

My personal library.db is about 2 to 3 times bigger than yours and I run 1024 but it usually isn't using all that it can of the 1024.