Bad Sound with EAC3 DD etc. on Xiaomi 4S Android TV

darkside40

darkside40

Hi there,

i have a problem with all Multi Channel Audio (E-AC3, AC3 etc) which is downmixed to 2.0 on my Xiaomi Android TV.

Voices sound robotic, like they have artifacts in it or if somebody speaks into a can. I only have this kind of problem with the Emby App. If i let the files Play via the Kodi App on the same TV it sounds normal. So i know it is not a problem with the TV or with the Emby Server, it must be the App.

I am using the Emby Server 4.5.4.0 and the Emby App 2.0.09g.

Form the dash of the server i can see that the files are direct play, so no transcoding involved. I also dont think it is a setting problem, because there is no much to alter in the sound settings of the App.

Is this kind of problem already known?

Hi.  No, this is the first we've heard of such an issue.  Can you please play one of these items for just a few seconds and then send a log from the app?  You can send the log right from the cog menu during playback.

Thanks.

It is using the TVs internal decoders for the audio.  Are you just using the TV speakers or is there other audio equipment involved?

Have you tried re-booting the TV?

darkside40

No i am using the internal speakers of the TV and yes i have rebooted it several times. 

What i dont understand: if i play the files via Kodi/Embycon on the same device the sound is normal. Thats why i thought that die Emby App is doing some bad downmix etc. 

They may or may not be using the same decoders for audio.  Our app is using the TVs decoders.  If you use the "playback correction" menu option during playback, does it have an effect?

darkside40

I will give that a shot tonight when i am back home.

Whats this playback correction suppose to do?

Correct Playback Issues :)

It tries different things to get your media to playback.  You can use this multiple times with each press trying more drasit things including having the server transcode the file.

darkside40

Okay i have tried it. Seems like the first stage is that it recodes the Audio to 5.1 AAC, which sounds much better.

The Voices are not so robotic anymore. It is not as good as the downmixed 2.0 AAC i have added to the mkv, but a general improvement.

Is there anyway i can force this setting, or a downmix on the Server side for that client?

4 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Is that also available via the Playstore?

Not yet.  Google is about 5 beta versions behind right now.

darkside40

Sorry for the late reply, but it was a busy week an having never sideloaded anything on a Android TV before i had to do a bit of research.

I have now install 2.0.21 and the sound is definitely better. Could be only improved by having the ability to downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 on the client.

1 hour ago, darkside40 said:

Could be only improved by having the ability to downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 on the client.

Hi.  You can do that.  Just select "Downmix to stereo" in the audio output option in playback settings.

2 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Sorry but i cant find such an option. 

Hi there, where are you looking for it?

darkside40

Was looking in the Cog menus you can reach from the home screen (top right corner) and in the cog menu while you playback a file. So i looked in the Emby Client?

Do i need the most recent Emby Server for it? I am still on 4.5.4.0?

Hi, Try the playback menu in the client settings.  If your system support this there will be a menu and if not the option won't be there.

8 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Nope no sound options in that menu. 

Then that means that the system is reporting only stereo support so it is already downmixing to stereo.

• 1 year later...
odeuxcool

Hello !

I encounter exactly the same problem, all the videos which are in EAC3 audio format and on Android TV only, a "robotic" and slightly "jerky" sound since the last update of the television. for other audio formats no problem.

Resetting the TV + reinstalling Emby did not change anything

On 4/27/2023 at 2:09 AM, odeuxcool said:

Hello !

I encounter exactly the same problem, all the videos which are in EAC3 audio format and on Android TV only, a "robotic" and slightly "jerky" sound since the last update of the television. for other audio formats no problem.

Resetting the TV + reinstalling Emby did not change anything

@odeuxcool

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.