Trying to Play Movie Files - Error occurs, the log shows HTTP error 500 Internal Server Error, close to the end.

Steve1974
Go to solution Solved by Steve1974,

Steve1974

Hi All,

New to Emby, though I might try setting up the server on my Shield, for the most part very staright forward, have the TV component working no problems everything else looks good.

Last thing yesterday I tried to play a movie from my library. (MKVs stored on NAS) and received the following;
"Too Many Errors, Giving Up"

Looking at the log (Not that I can decipher much of it) I can see the last to lines refer to "HTTP error 500 Internal Server Error"

I've checked all my mounted shares.
Gone over the settings, everything seems right.
Tried different Transcoding settings
Installed the server on my PC and tried - still fails to stream, but looks to be slightly cause. (No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.)
Tried the file through other applications, can play the files via KODI and Plex no problems, and have been for years.

Any ideas on causes, couldn't seem to find much helpful in the community, that directly relates to this.

Cheers

Android Server Logs attached,
Also PC server logs just as an FYI (d8966531)

ffmpeg-transcode-a0c31916-94c2-48bb-ab13-3ed39cabd77b_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d8966531-4560-475c-a367-c33f5f40a292_1.txt

Hi, are these local media files or cloud attached storage?

Can you provide the server log for these playback events?

Steve1974

Hey,

Did I not.

Ill add them again. Each one is directly after the error.

Give me 5 minutes.

Your log is showing error similar to this one:

SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: Failed to connect to server

Seems you Emby server isn't able to access files on the NAS.

Steve1974

Hmm,
I Figured it my be a permissions thing, not sure how yet.

Is there anything outside of mounting the storage to the shield that I need to do?

I only say that because, all permissions set on the NAS have been working for years from this device for other apps.

I'll have another look at it this after work.

Thanks for your help so far, I'll update the ticket when I get more info for you.

Cheers.

Steve1974

Hi Again,

Had a bit more of a play tonight, the results have largely been the same.
Triple checked permissions, even connected to NAS with full ADMIN rights, still the same.
Checked Playback on KODI again, still the same.

Went back through all my settings, all look good.

As one last ditch attempt I deleted the library "mynas/multimedia/movies/hdmovies" which contains my HD rips. (I only did this so the library wasn't large while testing)
Created a new movie library, the only difference being it was one directory higher at "mynas/multimedia/movies/", also included the root share "mynas/multimedia/" (I beleive I did that previously, but cannot be sure, becuase I didn't find a way to check.

Anyway VIOLA!
Things work.

Really have no clues what I did to rectify it, so if anyone has something they could offer so I can add it to the lessons learnt list, It would be appreciated.
Otherwise, you can marked this one as resolved.

Thanks for the prompt advice and direction.
Steve

4 hours ago, Steve1974 said:

one directory higher at "mynas/multimedia/movies/", also included the root share "mynas/multimedia/"

You do not want to define those two locations for the same library as one is a subset of the other...

• Solution
Steve1974

Hey there,

OK, so that makes sense when I go back and look at the library settings.

I think I have figured out where I went wrong, it seems it was when I defined the path for the library in the first place, not quite sure how we could see files and not play them, but I have found a definate issue.

First I deleted the folders in the library again. (All this just for a better understanding)

So, If i go into the 'add folders area' when setting up a libray for the first time it shows that I can enter a network path manually.
So I just cut and paste the path into the text fields like this;

Folder:
\\mynas\multimedia\movies

(optional) Shared network folder:

The result here is the scan takes place but zero files are showing in the library

If you choose the path as suggested by the drop down;

Folder:
/storage/mynas/multimedia/movies

(optional) Shared network folder:

Everything works fine.

I discovered this when I went back this morning to correct the paths as suggested by @ebr
The other thing I found was that you cannot edit the Folder path once created, the text field is locked.
The optional folder path is fine to edit.

So I think I have figured it out, I somehow screwed up the path when setting up the library in the first place, but inadvertently rectified it, by selecting from the drop down in the second instance.

Thanks for the help guys,

Appreciate it.