No Forced Subtitles

jriker1

jriker1

When I have an MKV file that say has 3 subtitle files all English.  One is flagged and confirmed as forced.  When I try and play the video with the latest version of the client in NVidia Shield 2019 Pro, it doesn't show.  I imagine I could go in the pulldown and manually select it but don't think that's the path I'm supposed to take, especially since I recall this working before and also in the event you also want all the subtitles from the main sub  file displayed.

Note:  Subtitles are inside the MKV file, nothing external.  Only difference from other subtitles I have are I make my other ones as ASS files but these are SRT.  Since they are SRT and pure text I will guess that's not the issue.

Edited by jriker1

Happy2Play

@jriker1What are your subtitle settings?

Unless this is a specific client issue I have no issue with my setting subtitles to forced only and them playing in web client and Roku.

forced.jpg.9b51f265dd4df37ddaa0f779b14a2c90.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Now if the item has been previously played without subtitles then yes you will have to manually select subtitles do to the server remembering last playback.

jriker1

I'm not sure about that.  Is that right?  Forced subs should be forced subs.  I've never had to pick it from the main menu.  To my original comment, if you  have to pick the forced subs, then the full subs, which wouldn't contain the forced pieces, would never be usable.  I have always seen forced subs in the player without physically selecting it.  Kind of the reason for "FORCED".

Just now, jriker1 said:

Forced subs should be forced subs

That depends on your subtitle handling settings.  Can you please show us what those are?

jriker1

Sure, here's what I have.  I think they may have changed though as I had my network settings pre-defined and they are set to auto now.

image.thumb.png.0ef00e8c0b32e5f7dcd349108d662a19.png

Had you ever played this particular item before?  Did it have a sub track marked "Default"?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

Sure, here's what I have.  I think they may have changed though as I had my network settings pre-defined and they are set to auto now.

image.thumb.png.0ef00e8c0b32e5f7dcd349108d662a19.png

Default subs are not always Forced Subs.  You need to change your subtitle mode.

pwhodges
35 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

... the full subs, which wouldn't contain the forced pieces, ...

In my experience, they do.  But maybe my experience is not typical (a high proportion of anime, for a start).

Paul

jriker1
51 minutes ago, ebr said:

Had you ever played this particular item before?  Did it have a sub track marked "Default"?

No, this is the first time but have created a few permutations trying to get it to work.  Only variant is these are SRT files vs my usual ASS.  Also here is the settings on the file:

image.thumb.png.226445d4f7637505c65e06d053550b42.png

Also setting it to Only Forced Subtitles on the server and the subtitle pulldown for the movie set to none doesn't show the forced subs.

Edited by jriker1

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

Also setting it to Only Forced Subtitles on the server and the subtitle pulldown for the movie set to none doesn't show the forced subs.

Are you saying it is defaulting to none with Only Forced Subtitle setting?  But pulldown none means exactly that do not play subtitles.

12 hours ago, jriker1 said:

and the subtitle pulldown for the movie set to none doesn't show the forced subs

Well, it wouldn't show them because the drop down is set to "none"...

13 hours ago, jriker1 said:

No, this is the first time but have created a few permutations trying to get it to work.  Only variant is these are SRT files vs my usual ASS.  Also here is the settings on the file:

image.thumb.png.226445d4f7637505c65e06d053550b42.png

Keep in mind if testing like this you would need to do this for different media because each time to playback the media you will save the current info used when playing.

So to check "default settings" you need to test a piece of media never played back before.

jriker1
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Are your subtitles actually marked as forced?

Possible our posts crossed but the picture I sent shows forced is checked.  I know with let's say a Blu-ray player it will automatically play a subtitle track labeled forced.  I never set that.  Is it set to default in the disc?  Not sure.

So getting down to it, what is things supposed to be set to? 

1. Should the forced subtitles be set to Default in the MKV?

2. What should the settings normally be set to in Emby?

Note I have normally full movies, not Anime, and they usually have some level of forced subtitles and the actual full subtitle file does not contain the forced subs.  

When you open one of these items that has never been played before on the detail screen, what is the subtitle drop down set to and what are the contents of it?

jriker1

Let me take my existing movie and save a copy as another named movie.   Stay tuned.

That said, one item from mkvtoolnix website as I was reading about the various settings:

Now on to the "forced display" flag, in short "forced". If this is set to "on", this track must be played/shown no matter what the user selected for his preferences or what the player would normally chose to show/play.  

Then goes on to say:

"Forced" has nothing to do with "default track". If "forced" is set, the player must play that track no matter what "default track" is set to. In fact, normally a track that has "forced" set does not have "default track" set

I thought when I had forced set before on an MKV Emby would play it no matter what as described above.

Edited by jriker1

I thought when I had forced set before on an MKV Emby would play it no matter what as described above.

Yea try telling that to users: Sorry, but we can't provide you with any options because your video file has a track marked as force, and according to mkv spec we're required to show it.

It doesn't work that way in real life. Users want to be able to control things.

jriker1

Still working on the ask but working from home a certain family members gets pissed when I play during work time.  Easy to have a browser open and type but start playing movies on our TV and will get yelled at. 

In general, I would say this is the way it works in a standard BD player so why would this be any different?  Plus unless I'm off, I think that is how it used to work for Emby.  Standard is a standard.  You don't want it that way, open your MKV and uncheck the forced flag in your file.  But that's just me.

One other thing, maybe I'm off, but there is a default language option in Emby for the subtitles.  I have English selected.  Some of my movies have subtitles in multiple languages and even multiple forced subtitles one for each language.  So if I have English selected in Emby, and I have a subtitle for English that is set to Forced, how many people would know the language the audio was in at those points, that they wouldn't want to show the forced subtitles?  Like if the individual is speaking Russian in the movie on an English track, how many English speakers would know Russian and not need the forced subtitle piece?  As opposed to watching the full Russian track in the first place so wouldn't need the subtitles and for that language wouldn't have one at all.  So in theory, the forced subtitles should always play if the language defined in Emby for subtitles matches a forced subtitle tracks' defined language in an MKV.  But what do I know, probably just confused thinks more than helped.

Edited by jriker1

1 hour ago, jriker1 said:

Some of my movies have subtitles in multiple languages and even multiple forced subtitles one for each language

How does that jibe with what you said before - that the forced track should be played no matter what?  Are all the subs supposed to play at the same time?  Of course not but that is an example of why the statements you found just aren't realistic.

I've actually never seen those statements anywhere before but, if I as a user set the subtitles to "None" then I expect that to be exactly what I get - no subtitles.

• Like 1

jriker1

Which statements you never saw before?  The ones from mkvtoolnix?  Those are from here:

Default and forced flags and default yes no in the GUI · Wiki · Moritz Bunkus / MKVToolNix · GitLab

Also I never said I want all subs playing at the same time.  My belief is this:

1. If there is a forced sub, and the preferred subtitle language matches, then it should always play.

2. If I turn on the full subtitles, because standard movies, not Anime, do not include the forced sub content, that should play as well, so partly I guess to playing "multiple".

Is this different than the MKVToolNix site or from what a BD Player would do?

jriker1

OK so copied the show to another random show off the movie list out there.  Have Emby set to Preferred Subtitle Language English and Subtitle Mode Default.  When clicking on the show English (Forced ASS) is pre-selected.  Changed the subs to ASS.  Is this expected?  So assume if I was watching the movie with Subtitles on for whatever reason, and someone was speaking a foreign language, would have to back it up, stop it, change the subtitles to Forced, and then play again?  Then go back and switch them to the full subs again?

Side question when I look at the list of subtitles I get:

Off

English (Forced ASS)

English (ASS)

English (ASS)

Obviously the last two are a problem.  One is the standard subtitles, the other the SDH file.  I've seen where Emby shows this with the additional detail.  Is there some format I need to save the "Name" to so it shows in Emby with more detail? 

image.thumb.png.b85d2d7490b75d9befb4c33371c70a33.png

Why would you need to keep changing the sub? You either:

Use the default as setup.
Override the selection before starting to play the media.
Change while playing back if you didn't remember to change it before playback.

But once you have the sub you want regardless of how/when you selected it you wouldn't need to keep changing it.  Set and forget it.

Happy2Play

If your full subtitles do not have the foreign parts also that would be a defect in the subtitles itself to me.

• Like 1

Exactly.  That would sort of defeat the purpose of the sub.