Something change? Paused video no longer prevents screensaver.

MEB

MEB

On beta branch 2.0.09 on Shield and when I pause something, after my daydream timeout which is 5min it stops the video and starts the screensaver. So when I come back I have to start the video again which if I had subtitles on o have to enable them again. Been catching up on Expanse and I need subs for the belters speech lol. Just wondering if some code was changed that causes the shield to think nothing is playing when paused. Only been happening a few days.

Hi.  Yes, this was changed by request.

If you select the subtitles before starting playback, they are still selected when you re-start, no?

MEB
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes, this was changed by request.

If you select the subtitles before starting playback, they are still selected when you re-start, no?

I guess so but why would this be default now? It should be an option not forced. Makes more sense to be able to pause indefinitely and allow the timer to expire on the menu screen. Now I have to set a longer timer for the screensaver which means it won't activate on the menu until way later. Also why stop the pause? Can we get a setting in emby for pause timeout?

Hi.  It should be a single click to re-start the video upon cancelling the screen saver.  This doesn't really seem like a large enough burden to warrant an option...

This also avoids the server being left in a state of limbo for an indeterminant time.

MEB
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It should be a single click to re-start the video upon cancelling the screen saver.  This doesn't really seem like a large enough burden to warrant an option...

This also avoids the server being left in a state of limbo for an indeterminant time.

Then why have a pause option? Might as well only have stop and play. Any change that changes original work flow should have an option to disable.

Because pausing and stop/start are two different things.  You can certainly pause a video without the screen saver kicking in.

MEB
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Because pausing and stop/start are two different things.  You can certainly pause a video without the screen saver kicking in.

But only for as long as the SS is set for. If you have it set for 5min you only can pause for 5min. But if you set for 30min then you get 30min pause but also the menu is also set for 30min. I use aireal videos that I want to kick in as a visual when I'm not watching anything and would rather not see the menu for 30min but want a longer pause so I can use the bathroom or make popcorn. Also allowing the server to stay awake with a pause lets me keep my media streaming machine awake while watching something past it's sleep time. If it stops the video while I'm away on pause I have to go wake the machine up. There's just many reasons to let pause keep things online. 

And let's not forget anyone that has automations set up with home assistant, stopping my pause triggers my stopped video automations and turns things on like lights and fans that have been silenced.

Edited by MEB

Correct but you can adjust the SS timeout so YOU have direct control over that and set it to something realistic to use for your environment. Same with any sleep timers or your home automation setup which are in your control.

MEB
32 minutes ago, cayars said:

Correct but you can adjust the SS timeout so YOU have direct control over that and set it to something realistic to use for your environment. Same with any sleep timers or your home automation setup which are in your control.

But I don't want a SS to come on while paused ever only when on menu screen. I'm forced to either disable SS or set it to something that makes my menu screen show for a extremely long time. The problem is control was taken away. No other app behaves this way YouTube stays paused, and so does Disney.

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

YouTube stays paused

It didn't the last time I tested it but perhaps their behavior has changed.

MEB
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

It didn't the last time I tested it but perhaps their behavior has changed.

Alright it doesn't prevent SS but it also doesn't stop the video, when exiting the SS the video resumes playing. Which is still better than stopping the video.

Edited by MEB

MEB

What changed here?

Devs were pretty much on the side of not allowing this then suddenly it's changed. If you were so against allowing it why not just allow a option to enable or disable it? You already made the exception for live tv just let users decide.