help understanding audio compatibility

justinrh

justinrh

First, how can I determine the audio playback capability of a client device?

Second, I have video with 6-channel audio that Emby reports as 5.1 (as seen in nerd stats) on my Shield.  Emby shows the audio as direct play-ing, but my TV has only two speakers and supports DTS.  Why doesn't Emby downgrade the audio?  How can it play 5.1 audio?  Is the TV accepting 5.1 but internally downgrades it?

It is channel mapping, DTS support would mean this.. 5.1 is 6 channels so no issue there... they also call it downmixing... So answer to last question is yes. More than likely if you were watching 6 channel video from a source and went out to an AVR of some kind with the right kind of output ( if it has one ) it would also play in original out put but channel maps everything for those two speakers as well..

justinrh
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Did this answer your questions?

Not the first question.  The reason for the question is that I want to be sure my media has the correct formats and specs for the client so as to avoid transcoding.

There isn't a simple answer to that as the answer depends on the exact media and devices involved.  However, it isn't going to get too much more compatible than a Shield as far as audio support goes.  Pretty much everything should direct play there unless dealing with things like AVI containers or you request to convert unsupported audio to DD.

justinrh

Doesn't Emby have to probe the client's capability to know if it can direct play or transcode?  Is there any way for a user to see what info Emby has for a client?

45 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Doesn't Emby have to probe the client's capability to know if it can direct play or transcode?

Yes but that depends on a lot of factors - all of which could change at any moment.

What content are you concerned about and exactly what hardware will be involved?

As I said, the Shield is going to play just about everything.