Emby no longer seeing external gpu on latest qts and nvidia drivers

nevolex

nevolex

Hi guys,

I'm on tvs473 and was having external nvidia gpu working just fine with emby latest version, but got qts upgraded today to  4.5.3.1652

that pulled new software:

Nvkernel 4.5.3.1652 (from 4/30)
Nvidia gpu driver 5.0.2 (from 5/01)

Unfortunately after that Emby stopped recognizing the card (p400)

I tried the reinstall the drivers a few times with no success 

may  you please help @softworkz or @Luke ? 

thank a lot

alex

Edited by nevolex

blickfeld
On 5/2/2021 at 9:45 PM, softworkz said:

You need to install the latest driver from the Nvidia website.

Where can I find the latest drivers for qnap on the nvidia site @softworkz? on the official qnap site those are the newest:
Nvkernel 4.5.3.1652 (from 4/30)
Nvidia gpu driver 5.0.2 (from 5/01)

Edited by blickfeld

• 2 weeks later...
ricostuart

Hi, I have the same issue here. Have the latest QTS, drivers, etc and for some reason emby no longer shows the card available for transcoding.

I'm not familiar with QNAP at all. I just know that Linux distributions often strip the CUDA runtime and media processing components from the Nvidia drivers, and what always helps is to follow the instructions on the Nvidia site for installing the drivers on Linux.

nevolex
52 minutes ago, softworkz said:

I'm not familiar with QNAP at all. I just know that Linux distributions often strip the CUDA runtime and media processing components from the Nvidia drivers, and what always helps is to follow the instructions on the Nvidia site for installing the drivers on Linux.

you cannot just install the latest nvidia drivers in qnap it's  a closed platform, so the drivers are compilated by qnap for QTS (nas's linux os they run) and can only be installed via their store or uploaded directly but it has to be a qnap assigned driver 

nevolex

I ended up removing the card all together, no point is even asking qnap for support for a non-officially-supported box. It just worked perfectly until they updated qts and the diver stopped recognizing the card for transcoding 

5 minutes ago, nevolex said:

I ended up removing the card all together, no point is even asking qnap for support for a non-officially-supported box. It just worked perfectly until they updated qts and the diver stopped recognizing the card for transcoding 

Why not give it a try to install according to Nvidia's instructions?

It's just about the user-mode part of the driver, not the kernel side.

nevolex
2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Why not give it a try to install according to Nvidia's instructions?

It's just about the user-mode part of the driver, not the kernel side.

thank you softworkz but I don't know how to do it  and frankly, not sure it it even works, if I had an ubuntu server per say, yes for sure I would try, but not sure how that would impact stability of the system, we have not much of knowledge of. I mean yes  I have root access to the box via ssh, but if something goes wrong I might not be able to boot the system, to much of a risk. However looks like their enterprise series now come with true dual os mode (2 qts primary and backup) if I had one of those I would try for sure.

Not sure maybe @ricostuart is willing to try?

Sure, I understand.

Anyway I wonder how you can use an Nvidia board - aren't those boxes too small for this?

nevolex
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Sure, I understand.

Anyway I wonder how you can use an Nvidia board - aren't those boxes too small for this?

they are small but mighty 😄,  they have 2  pcie express ports so an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti can fit fine, but will cover the second slot, I had a nvidia quadro p400 that was working perfectly.

For some reason my tvx473 had a closed pcie port so i had to open it with the help of some tools, thankfully it worked, but it was all done for nothing now :(

thanks for your support anyway softworkz :)

• Like 1