No audio on FireTV with AC3

Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hello, 

unfortunately I do not have any sound with some files when viewing them over WAN on my FireTV device. 

The files all have AC3 audio and they all play fine on:

- browser (WAN and LAN)
- FireTV (same device but different app)
- emby for kodi
- VLC

What can I do to have audio with these files?

The next time I have access to this FireTV I will open the SFN window and get logs and further information. 

rbjtech

Which Gen of FireTV stick ?

I have noticed and reported that the Gen2 FireTV stick is not recognising AC3, so it is converting to AAC (which plays, but it should not need to do this).

This could be related.

Are any ffmpeg logs generated when you play the items with the failed Audio ?

Hi.  How have you set the audio settings in the Fire TV settings themselves?  It is possible on these devices to set those in such a way that you will not get any audio if you don't have the proper equipment.

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Which Gen of FireTV stick ?

I have noticed and reported that the Gen2 FireTV stick is not recognising AC3, so it is converting to AAC (which plays, but it should not need to do this).

This could be related.

Are any ffmpeg logs generated when you play the items with the failed Audio ?

I am using a Gen 1 Stick. 

Yes, there are logs - I attached the one from my last test. Just a few seconds to test some settings I changed in the client and the FireTV Stick - but no sound. 

6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  How have you set the audio settings in the Fire TV settings themselves?  It is possible on these devices to set those in such a way that you will not get any audio if you don't have the proper equipment.

I changed almost every setting but reverted them back to standard as none of them changed anything. 
Audio plays fine with the same video using a different client on the same FireTV stick. 

ffmpeg-remux-6934d24b-5021-49be-a65b-731e966953df_1.txt

Hi.  The server is converting to 5.1 AAC - which isn't going to work.

In the app playback settings, there is an "Audio" option.  Try setting that to "Mix down to stereo".

13 minutes ago, ebr said:

In the app playback settings, there is an "Audio" option.  Try setting that to "Mix down to stereo".

Yes, I did that as I read that somewhere here - still no sound 😞
Or do I have to restart the app after changing that option?

No, you don't have to restart the app but it sounds like maybe restarting the device might be something to try.

What is all the equipment involved and how is it connected?

The device is restarted every day (power on/off cycle). But I will change the setting and directly afterwards restart the device. 
There's only the FireTV and a TV - nothing more. 

The FireTV is directly attached to the TV via HDMI. LAN/WAN via WiFi

rbjtech
17 hours ago, ebr said:

5.1 AAC should work ?  It's not desirable as AC3 should work directly - but there is an issue with the FireTV recognising AC3 - Same issue on the Gen2.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-stick.html?v=ftvstickgen1

I note the first Audio track is German - followed by an English track.

In Audio/Subtitle settings on the client, there is a 'Preferred Audio Language' and a 'Play default Audio Track regardless of Language' - have you set these options ?

Edited by rbjtech

25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

5.1 AAC should work ?

Not on a 1st gen Fire stick I'm afraid - depending on what the stick is plugged into.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I note the first Audio track is German - followed by an English track.

In Audio/Subtitle settings on the client, there is a 'Preferred Audio Language' and a 'Play default Audio Track regardless of Language' - have you set these options ?

I am not sure about the first one but I've set the latter option. 

It doesn't matter which audio stream is selected - there's no sound with either of them. 

@Luke

Yes, I do but I did not have the opportunity to check the audio settings, yet. I'll do so on Wednesday evening and report back. 

I will check "Mix down to stereo" and both options 'Preferred Audio Language' and a 'Play default Audio Track regardless of Language' and do a restart of the stick. 

Do you need any additional log files?

17 hours ago, Razorblade said:

I will check "Mix down to stereo" and both options 'Preferred Audio Language' and a 'Play default Audio Track regardless of Language' and do a restart of the stick. 

Hi.  He means the audio setting in the Fire stick itself.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Razorblade said:

Yes, I did check these settings and they should be fine as the same files are playing fine using a different app

Exactly how are they set?

Hi, 

sorry, I first had to check and get all the requested information.

Audio settings in the Stick are set as follows:

• Audio Output
    set to "Auto"
    Changing to "Downmix" did not change anything
  • Dolby Digital Output
    set to DD Plus Auto

Opening the SFN window tells me that it's transcoding because of unsupported audio format

• Player: exoplayer
  • Method: Direct Stream
  • Type: HLS
  • Video Codec: H264 (direct)
  • Audio Codec: AAC
  • Channels: 5.1

Media Information:

• Container: mkv
  • Video Codec: H264
  • Audio Codec: DOLBY
  • Channels: 5.1

Do you need any further information?

1 hour ago, Razorblade said:

Changing to "Downmix" did not change anything

Are you positive?  Because that should stop it from converting on the server and decode and downmix it locally...

13 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you positive?

Yes, I absolutely am. I did change this multiple times and checked multiple files with that setting. I even changed this setting before coming here and posting this issue. 

13 hours ago, ebr said:

Because that should stop it from converting on the server and decode and downmix it locally...

This is also what I thought. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:09 AM, Razorblade said:

@ebr

Yes, I will create these log files and report back as soon as I am back. 

Great, thanks !

@Luke @ebr

Hi, 

I just sent/uploaded the debug logfiles. 

I played an episode of "The 100", the logged in user was embyuser and the time was around 10:55 UTC-5

Please let me know whether you need further information or log files. 

Edit: Oh, and of course, I enabled the "Downmix" option 🙂

Edited by Razorblade

• Solution

Okay, the system is reporting no support for Dolby and that is causing it to convert on the server in that version.  The next version of the app will behave differently and decode it locally.

There is also some sort of network issue as there was a timeout at one point during your playback which cause another fallback to transcoding.

E/EventLogger( 8231): internalError [eventTime=51.66, mediaPos=0.00, window=0, period=0, loadError]
E/EventLogger( 8231): com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.HttpDataSource$HttpDataSourceException: Unable to connect to https://xxxxx/emby/videos/93243/hls1/main/0.ts?DeviceId=ce73dc628741dae8&MediaSourceId=fe596cb4f917052c4ae620f5fc2d9722&PlaySessionId=d0deadf3e3494e428e84442aa473542a&api_key=2b6a83b8db934346974957c5a23ad185&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg2video&AudioCodec=aac_latm,mp4a_latm,aac,mp3&VideoBitrate=73259411&AudioBitrate=384000&MaxHeight=1080&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleMethod=Encode&CopyTimestamps=true&SegmentContainer=ts&MinSegments=2&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline&h264-level=41&aac_latm-audiochannels=8&mp4a_latm-audiochannels=8&aac-audiochannels=8&mp3-audiochannels=8&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported
E/EventLogger( 8231): Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

• Like 1

Hi, 

Thank you very much for looking into this. 

Yes, I already noticed some networking issues and I am trying to find out why. 

Do you know when the new version will be available?