Emby Server not updating

Hayden-alaric

Hayden-alaric

Hello. I'm currently running Emby on my Freenas machine. I am able to log into Emby via webpage but as soon as I try and log into Emby through an app, IOS, Android, Smart tv, etc... it refuses to connect saying Emby needs to be updated. on the Emby web page I go to dashboard and it says Emby is up to date. Emby is running on version 4.1.0.26. I'm pretty sure that's not the latest version. It will not let me update it through Emby and I tried updating Emby Through Freenas. plugins, Installed, Update Emby, and all it says there is snapshot already exists. what am I missing here. I don't know why it is such a hassle to update a plugin.  oh and also when i'm in my Emby webpage and click restart Emby, in yellow highlight it says restart Emby to install updates for a split second right when I click restart Emby.  When Emby restarts and comes back on, it still says its the latest version 

If anyone has anything for me it would be great help. I've been having so many issues with Emby lately and am considering switching to plex if nothing works

MRobi

The snapshot already exists is a pain in the ass issue. Before updating the plugin, it creates a snapshot of the jail. If it fails for any reason, you won't be able to update it until you go and remove any snapshots that exist for that jail. Which can sometimes be 30-40 snapshots. Then you can try updating again and potentially fail again.

To me the simpler way would be to go into the shell of the jail and run these commands.

service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install -f emby-server
service emby-server start

you may not need the pkg install line depending on how it was originally installed, but it won't hurt to have it in there. It's also completely normal not to be able to click the update button in emby itself, this does not work on FreeNAS.

And yes, you're on an extremely old version 4.1.0.26 released on April 19, 2019... almost 2 years old now. The latest stable is 4.5.4.0 and 4.6 is in beta. To prevent future issues, I'd recommend you stay on top of your updating. 

• Like 1

Hayden-alaric

Hi @MRobi, thanks for the response,

Thanks for the reply. I had just installed Emby in Freenas and that's the version that installed. I had tried running those commands and it still did not work. I'd run the commands restart emby and it would be the same version when Emby opened up again.  I also even tried just deleting emby it's self and reinstalling the plugin but it installed the same version of emby and again, same issue

MRobi
17 hours ago, Hayden-alaric said:

Hi @MRobi, thanks for the response,

Thanks for the reply. I had just installed Emby in Freenas and that's the version that installed. I had tried running those commands and it still did not work. I'd run the commands restart emby and it would be the same version when Emby opened up again.  I also even tried just deleting emby it's self and reinstalling the plugin but it installed the same version of emby and again, same issue

How old is the instance of FreeNAS you're running? AKA when was the last time you updated that?

It's been renamed to TrueNAS and both the DHCP and NAT plugins are pointed to the latest version of Emby. It's possible if you haven't updated FreeNAS in over 2 years that it's still pointed to an old plugin.

Hayden-alaric

@MRobi I had figured it out. Yeah it has turned out that I needed to update freenas. I was running freenas 11.2 and updating it to 11.3 made everything just work again. Thanks again for everything

• Like 1