Using Emby as a music player on Android

Mister Steve

Mister Steve

Emby on Android Mobile technically works as a disconnected music player, but without the ability to support playlists it is too limited for my use.  Maybe there are settings I am missing, my experience is:  

- Downloading to Android works great, I can select a playlist of music and have it downloaded to my Android phone when the phone is connected to the Emby server, artwork and artist info is included.  

- Playlists do not work on Android mobile.   When downloading a playlist, the songs are downloaded but not the playlist data.   The mobile app has options to add tracks to a playlist but they do not seem to work when disconnected.  So I can only select shuffle-all, or albums, or +/- tracks from the queue. 

- When starting Emby on Android disconnected from the LAN, the app takes about 15 seconds looking for a server before it responds and prompts for downloads.  Not a dealbreaker but it would be nice to have the option to go to Downloads while searching for a server.   It'd be ideal if there was a companion music player app that used the Emby downloaded media.

Any suggestions to make the experience better?   My 256gb SD can hold a lot of music and I'd like to use Emby as my primary music player.  I'm not interested in Spotify, YT-Music, Tidal, etc.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

HI, yes playlist download support is planned for the future. And i agree we need to improve the startup experience so that you can get into downloads quicker when offline. Thanks for teh feedback.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Any update on when this feature will be added?  It looks like it has been in "planning" for a long time.  This is currently the only reason I've found to keep my Plex server running.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, primed said:

Any update on when this feature will be added?  It looks like it has been in "planning" for a long time.  This is currently the only reason I've found to keep my Plex server running.  Thanks!

Hi, no ETA, but it's planned for the future. Thanks.