"Failed to Install" when trying to install Emby on a new qnap TS-253D

JDutton

The QTS version is 4.5.2.1566. 

The complete message is "[App Center] Failed to install Emby-server-qnap_4.5.4.0_x86_64.qpkg. Try again later."
As far as I know there is nothing else running, and this is the only information I can find. I am totally new to working with an NAS or any media server.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Agree 1

I have gotten the same error message again. The first two attempts were yesterday. I am using the "Install Manually" option in AppCenter. The file is on my PC, and I am able to find it using Browse. After I click on Install it says "Uploading and Processing". The first time it got to uploading 2%. The next time was 50% and today it stopped at 51%. In the System Event Log it is exactly the same message.

alucryd

The 253D doesn't have an exotic CPU so it should work. What browser are you using to upload the package? Is your connection stable (wifi or ethernet)? The installation would crash at sthe same time every time if the package wasn't compatible.

Also, did you perhaps name your user emby? We need it for the package so it shouldn't already exist on your system.

Can you also verify the md5 of the package matches the signature on the github release? On linux you can use md5sum, on windows I don't know but Google will have the answer.

Edited by alucryd

The browser is Google Chrome. The connection between the Windows PC and the NAS is Ethernet. I don’t have a user named emby.

I’m sorry, I have no idea what an md5 is.

I do have a couple questions:

I downloaded the package to a folder on the PC and to a folder on the NAS and they both had the same installation failure. Is there a specific folder that the installation needs to be run from? Also, someone told me that the package needed to be unzipped, but since it doesn’t end with .zip that didn’t’t make sense to me. Am I missing something there?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your interest.

• 4 weeks later...
alucryd

Thanks for your answers, and apologies for the huge delay.

The md5 is a hash to verify the package you downloaded isn't corrupted. And your assumption was right, there's no need to unzip anything.

I've got my hands tied for now and can't try much on my end, but if you had an open SSH access (or a VPN and local SSH access) to your NAS I could run some tests.

JDutton

I appreciate your post. At about the time of my last post a person in Qnap support connected to my PC and downloaded and installed Emby via SSH using an app called Putty.

For the moment, things are working well. I have been using Emby with no problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
sezsat
On 3/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, JDutton said:

I appreciate your post. At about the time of my last post a person in Qnap support connected to my PC and downloaded and installed Emby via SSH using an app called Putty.

For the moment, things are working well. I have been using Emby with no problems.

hi, were you able to see the commands they used on installing the emby server thru ssh? sorry im a total noob in ssh.

JDutton

I could see the commands and the activity, but to tell the truth it meant very little to me because I'm not familiar with SSH or Putty.

• 1 year later...
djbradp1

Would be great if Emby tech would post the info on how to make this work via Putty for the rest of us so we don't have to call them each time.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, djbradp1 said:

Would be great if Emby tech would post the info on how to make this work via Putty for the rest of us so we don't have to call them each time.

@djbradp1 I guess the first question is why are you getting to that point? Can we look at what's preventing you from using the normal install steps? Thanks !