Playback randomly stopped on Chromecast

Guest yoriiis

Guest yoriiis

Hi,

I use Emby on a dedicated server (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) with the latest official image on Docker (emby/embyserver:4.5.4.0). The stack have Docker Compose and Nginx proxy.

The playback is trigger from the latest version of the Android application (Emby for Android) which is connected to the server. All medias playback randomly stop when viewed from the Chromecast (v3). For example on a media with a duration of 1h, the playback can stop two or three times. The screen switch to "Ready to cast" and then start the next episode if it is a series.

All playback/network/transcoding settings are set to "auto". The home internet connexion is fiber optic and the server internet connexion is 250 Mbps.
Playback stops occurs in "direct play" or "transcode".
Chromecast have the latest firmware.
No problem if the media is play on the internet browser with the UI Emby.

The problem is recent, in the order of a few months.

Tested with another Chromecast v2 and v3, another Android phone, another internet connection, another TV, a video projector, same problem.
Tested with a fresh install of a previous version with the Docker image (emby/embyserver:4.4.3.0), same problem.
Tested with the phone without sleep mode, with the screen enable during all the playback, same problem.
Tested with the phone without the battery optimization mode which can put energy-consuming applications to sleep, same problem.
Tested in reduce the bitrate for the network and the Chromecast, same problem.

The log displays the following message, but it does not give much explanation on the cause.

Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Emby for Chromecast 2.1.0 playing <MEDIA_NAME>

I've attached the complete log file.
For privacy, I've change personal data with the following replacements:

• Host: `example.com`
  • IP (X-Forwarded-For): `200.200.200.200` and `201.201.201.201`
  • User: `john` and `jack`

I've run several debug without find a solution. How can I fix this issue please?

embyserver-logs.txt

Edited by yoriiis

Hi, I wonder if the bitrate is just too high. Can you try lowering the Chromecast quality setting from the app that you're casting with? Try doing this prior to playback and see if that helps. Set it to let's say 1 mbps, then work your way up as you see success. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Guest yoriiis

Hi @Luke, I have run several tests with the following results (the log displays the same message at the one above):

• 720p 1Mpbs, the stream succeed with transcoding (~2h)
  • 720p 1.5Mpbs, the stream succeed with transcoding (~1h20)
  • 720p 2Mpbs the stream success with transcoding (~1h40)
  • 720p 3Mpbs the stream failed with direct stream (~58min)
  • 720p 4Mpbs the stream failed with direct stream (~55min)
  • 1080p 4Mpbs the stream failed with direct stream (~55min)

Strangely several tests fail at the same time (just under an hour).

Lowering the bitrate forces to reduce the resolution, the maximum for these tests was 720p and the quality is degraded on a 1080p screen. This is a debugging solution, but hope there is a more suitable solution, as the stream sometimes works for almost 1 hour without a problem. I think, there is an issue with the "auto" mode for the Chromecast which does not seem to be working properly and should handle the bitrate on its own.

Thanks

Hi, the problem is that stuttering or stopping is usually a sign of the network connection not keeping up. That's why reducing the bitrate resolves the issue.

Guest yoriiis

Hi @luke, yes it is probably a network problem.

But it is recent, in the order of a few months. I didn't have this problem on the first version of Emby I was using (emby/embyserver:4.2.1.0). However, I cannot re-test with it because the Android application crashes with the update obligation of Emby server to a newer version. 

Imo there is a regression with the playback on a Chromecast and the bitrate management on Emby. Can you test this case please?

Yea I mean I already test Chromecast pretty much daily due to the fact that such a large number of people use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well... I’m having the same issue with Chromecast : playback working perfectly and then stopping for no reason after some time. it used to work very well but now I just can’t watch a movie without it being stopped several times. It’s becoming anoying...my emby server is running on nvidia shield (4.5.4.0), network connection is perfectly fine for everything else.

I can provide logs as well if needed

5 minutes ago, Ixnay7 said:

Hi,

Well... I’m having the same issue with Chromecast : playback working perfectly and then stopping for no reason after some time. it used to work very well but now I just can’t watch a movie without it being stopped several times. It’s becoming anoying...my emby server is running on nvidia shield (4.5.4.0), network connection is perfectly fine for everything else.

I can provide logs as well if needed

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hi Luke,

See the logs attached.

I watched a movie yesterday around 21:00, directly on the Shield, no issue at all.

Then around 22:20 I switched to another TV using the Chromecast.

I struggled a bit to launch the movie but basically I was able to watch the end in 2 sessions :

- 22:23 : playback ok until it stopped at 22:34

- I then launched again (between 22:34 and 37) and it stopped again at 22:59, just before the end of the movie

embyserver-63749462481.txt

9 hours ago, Ixnay7 said:

Hi Luke,

See the logs attached.

I watched a movie yesterday around 21:00, directly on the Shield, no issue at all.

Then around 22:20 I switched to another TV using the Chromecast.

I struggled a bit to launch the movie but basically I was able to watch the end in 2 sessions :

- 22:23 : playback ok until it stopped at 22:34

- I then launched again (between 22:34 and 37) and it stopped again at 22:59, just before the end of the movie

embyserver-63749462481.txt 1.6 MB · 0 downloads

Hi, was there an ffmpeg log? Please attach that as well. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ixnay7 said:

Hi there, can you please try lowering the Chromecast quality setting from the app that you're casting from? Please see if that helps. Thanks !