Why two Android apps

sammy2

I am using the Emby Android mobile app and the Emby Android TV app on my nVidia Shield. Before I installed the mobile app I was very frustrated with the feature set and interface of the Android TV app. Then I installed the mobile app and was so delighted with everything about the it. A few things I don't like about the TV app are the size of the icons on the home screen and no way to adjust them, one line horizontal scrolling in many places, under more (...) on the detailed view of an item many option are missing, the side menu for options when browsing a library.

Go to the mobile app or the LG app (which looks very similar to the mobile app) and I find an interface that is close to perfection.

• Like 2

Hi, two apps is just how we started a long time ago but we're gradually working on unifying over time.

You're running the mobile app on your ShieldTV?

AndroidTV is a different OS than Android and the app is written specifically for that. Nothing wrong with liking the mobile app but can you post side by side screen shots of each explaining what it is that you like about the mobile app vs the TV app?

Just now, Luke said:

Hi, two apps is just how we started a long time ago but we're gradually working on unifying over time.

Does the remote function the same using the mobile app on an AndroidTV device?

Sammy, I don't blame you for asking because I was surprised too. It functions flawlessly. And my requirements are demanding. High bit rate and a variety of audio formats. My output goes to a receiver and i verify it's getting what it should. 

The complaints I listed about the TV app are mostly self expiatory.

CBers
On 27/01/2021 at 18:43, Sammy said:

You're running the mobile app on your ShieldTV?

AndroidTV is a different OS than Android and the app is written specifically for that. Nothing wrong with liking the mobile app but can you post side by side screen shots of each explaining what it is that you like about the mobile app vs the TV app?

On 27/01/2021 at 18:44, Sammy said:

Does the remote function the same using the mobile app on an AndroidTV device?

@Sammy Sideload it and try it.

• 1 year later...