Double nat can't access remotely.

Dg9813

So I cannot seem to access emby server remotely on shield? I have recently moved from Plex as sick of server not connecting locally and transcoding issues. So I have a fibre ftth gateway genixis unit thingy which fibre providers installed, with Google WiFi nest router running into ethernet port in gateway. With a Google puck mesh system round house. So I did a command prompt tecert on pc two 192.1### came up. So is this a indication of double NAT? Also Google router settings show wan IP 192?

I have been in gateway unit settings WiFi is turned off, there is no option for bridge mode, there is dzm option which I enabled and put Google router wan IP in, is this right? But made no difference I could see.

Also providers gave me one plume puck router mesh unit which could be put in bridge mode which I plugged in and connected but I still could not connect remotely.

I tried on old Plex server also I could get remote access to enable on WiFi in housebut when I tried to connect outside on 4g mobile would immediately disconnect?

I have a vague understanding of it all but it's starting to get beyond me🤯

I have also followed the the emby remote connection pages to no avail and set up emby connect.

Any help or advice much appreciated

But emby does seem to work seamlessly in the house. 😁

That's a bit hard to follow.  Can you give us a stick drawling of your devices and network setup along with what's wifi vs ethernet and what is routers?

First device- So basically my fibre runs straight to ftth gateway router WiFi is turned off on this device. 

Second device- My Google WiFi nest router is connected to this device .  And have a Google WiFi mesh system from this device 2 other Google pucks. 

My emby server is via wifi so only through the Google WiFi nest router.

When I did command prompt>tracert on pc to see if I have double nat it popped up two 192 IP addresses.

I tried to enable DMZ in first device (ftth gateway router)as read this can resolve issue but had no effect. 

Try something for us.

From your Emby Server do a trace route to 8.8.8.8

You only need to publish the internal IP and can stop as soon as your get to public IPs

This should show us the routes/NATs being used.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Dg9813 said:

My emby server is via wifi so only through the Google WiFi nest router.

When I did command prompt>tracert on pc to see if I have double nat it popped up two 192 IP addresses.

I tried to enable DMZ in first device (ftth gateway router)as read this can resolve issue but had no effect. 

For a external connection you will need to port forward on each router.  As your second router is getting a WAN address from the first router.  So you have to forward router 1 to the WAN address on 2, and on 2 you have to port forward to server ip.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

For a external connection you will need to port forward on each router.  As your second router is getting a WAN address from the first router.  So you have to forward router 1 to the WAN address on 2, and on 2 you have to port forward to server ip.

Thanks will try on Monday as working all weekend thanks dg

10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Try something for us.

You only need to publish the internal IP and can stop as soon as your get to public IPs

Not entirely sure how to go about that, my knowledge on this stuff is vague. But will try to have a look on Monday thanks dg

19 minutes ago, cayars said:

Try something for us.

Sorry did a tracert 8.8.8.8 yesterday and two 192 addresses popped up on first two lines. Will post on Monday the actual addresses.

If you need help I can remote in and help sort this out pretty quickly.  It's very likely to be just a pure Double NAT situation just as Happy2Play said.
It's easy to fix when you understand it or get be a bit tough if it's your first time.

So if you need help let me know and I can explain it as we fix it.

Carlo

PS is there no way to put your Emby Server on Ethernet vs WIFI?  That's not idea for the server.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

If you need help I can remote in and help sort this out pretty quickly.  It's very likely to be just a pure Double NAT situation just as Happy2Play said.
It's easy to fix when you understand it or get be a bit tough if it's your first time.

So if you need help let me know and I can explain it as we fix it.

Carlo

PS is there no way to put your Emby Server on Ethernet vs WIFI?  That's not idea for the server.

Cheers that would be a great help I can have Nvidia shield emby server on ethernet straight into ftth gateway router (first device). I did have it this way intially just took it off when messing around trying to sort this out. I literally only got Google mesh system so I can get reasonable signal and speeds to every room in house. I will probably have a go Monday to sort it.

If you have the Emby Server/Shield plugged into the first device you shouldn't have a double NAT situation for the Emby Server but do for other parts of your network (not a bad thing).
Send me a PM when you have some time available and we can do a remote session.

But also feel free to try it on your own in your own time and ask questions here.

Here is the question I'd have for you.

What is the IP of your Shield TV and what IP address range is your Fifth Gateway Router handing out via DHCP?

Edited by cayars

Still cannot remote connect to emby, have connected shield TV with server straight to router now tried enabling dzm, port forwarding, and enabling upnp. Not connecting, I did tracert 8.8.8.8 and one 192 IP and a 100 IP addresses came up in first two hops hop 7 request timed out?. My DHCP server pool starts at 192.168.1.64 and ends at 192.168.1.253 then Nvidia is 192.168.1.121 Cheers dg

Dg9813 you interested in doing the remote session today.  Might be easier than trying to do it in the forum.

Download and install Teamviewer from www.teamviwer.com

PM me the ID and one-time use password you get on launch.
I'll connect and open a chat with you.

Updating the thread,

We did a remote session with him and his Emby Server is no longer in a double NAT after he plugged it directly into his first router.
But he's behind a CGNAT.  He has a VPN provider but they don't support port forwarding.

He's going to check with his ISP and see if he can get a static IP on the Internet and if not we'll explore other options.

• Like 1