Audio drops out

foleys
Go to solution Solved by foleys,

I'm experiencing a unique issue with one specific setup in my house. This issue only occurs in my living room where I have a receiver, with my Fire TV device plugged into the receiver.

When watching a TV series on shuffle, lets say Big Bang Theory, every time one episode ends and the next one begins, the audio drops out completely. I can fix it by power cycling either the TV or receiver, unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable, or sometimes by cycling the inputs on the TV or receiver. The weird thing is that this issue only occurs if I let the episode naturally end and emby automatically starts playing the next episode. If I press the "Start Now" button that appears towards the end of the episode, the audio never drops out. Another thing to note is that when the audio drop out occurs in emby, I can open other apps like netflix or hulu and the audio does not function in those apps either. It seems like an HDMI negotiation/sync issue.

I have tried a Denon AVR-1603 and a Yamaha TSR-700 receiver. This issue occurs with both a Fire TV Stick 4k and Fire TV Cube (Gen2), but much more often with the Cube. I've also tried multiple brand HDMI cables.

Where do I begin to debug this?

Directly into the receiver. All my inputs go through the receiver, so ARC should not be used for anything. I also disabled ARC on the receiver for testing.

Edited by foleys

Interesting.  I cannot say I have any ideas at the moment, unfortunately.  Any one else ever seen anything like this?

I submitted my "Emby for Android TV/Fire TV" debug logs on 1/24/2021 @ 10:24am EST
The local emby username is "foleys"
I was playing the episode "Cougar Town - Free Fallin", which transitioned to "Cougar Town - To Find a Friend" when the audio dropped out.

Also attached is my embyserver.txt log file from the time period of concern. No ffmpeg log files were created because the videos are direct play.

embyserver.txt

Edited by foleys

Hi.  I don't see anything of interest in that log but that doesn't really surprise me.  This sounds like a hardware issue of some kind.  Were all the HDMI cables high-quality (and 4K rated)?

My TV is only 1080p, but I did replace the cables with 4k rated ones as part of my debugging. I also tried every other cable I have in the house, which is about 3 different brands.

Make sure the cables are rated for HDMI 2.0 as that is required for full eARC support. Is the output on your TV ARC or eARC? If it is eARC you should be using it.

Edited by speechles

I Know. But if you are using ARC is there still an issue? That is where I am headed.. lol.

The reason for the drop out is the HDCP is broken probably. But only affects the audio strangely. Maybe this is Cinavia? It blanks the audio to protect itself.

That is why I think if you used the HDMI chain for both video and audio and introduced ARC you would not have the problem.

Reading around the interwebs have you tried this fix:
So I went to the audio settings and instead of selecting "best available" I selected "Always use Dolby Digital Plus"

https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick/comments/je9jgw/solved_audio_stutter_audio_dropout_with_firestick/

Edited by speechles

Thank you for the suggestion speechles. While forcing either Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus did not change anything, forcing Stereo did eliminate the audio drop out. Obviously that's not a solution because I want more than PCM 2 channel, but maybe its a good point for comparison?

Another point for comparison: I ran the same TV show on shuffle for over 8 hours with an nvidia shield and the audio never dropped out. The shield was connected in the same way as the FireTV device.

When the audio drops out, I can note the particular episode(s) that caused the drop out and then play them manually with no issues. The audio drop out only occurs with shuffle, or probably more accurate is that it only happens when emby transitions from one episode to another; its just that in my case shuffle is the mechanism facilitating the episode transitions. I also tested using the "Play All" feature instead of Shuffle, and that exhibited the same behavior.

And remember there's a nuance here that seems most odd to me; the audio only drops out when I let emby handle the automatic transition from one episode to the next episode. If I press the "Start Now" button the audio never drops out. Is there a difference in how the media is loaded or played with these two methods?

2 hours ago, foleys said:

Is there a difference in how the media is loaded or played with these two methods?

Not from our perspective but the events occurring in the player are different.  Also, the issue could be related to something that is at the very end of these episodes...

Apparently my TV does not support ARC, so I'm unable to test that route.
I did however plug the Cube directly into my TV and the audio never dropped out when using the TV's builtin speakers.

ebr, you mentioned that it could be something towards the end of the episodes, so I tried manipulating the files. The files in question are x265, AAC-LC 6 channel, mkv.
Things that did NOT resolve the issue:
 - remuxed to mkv and mp4 to test for container flaws
 - trimmed a couple minutes off the beginning and end of the files
 - removed all chapters/subtitles/flags/etc, leaving only the video and audio elements in the container
 - re-encode the video to H264 mkv
 - re-encode the audio track to fdk_aac 6 channel (keeping the original bitrate, and changing the bitrate to 320k)
Things that DID resolve the issue:
 - downmix the AAC-LC 6 channel audio track to AAC-LC 2 channel stereo
 - re-encode the audio track to AC3 6 channel

So, it appears its possible the system might have an issue with the playback of the audio track. But again, why does this only occur when emby transitions from one episode to the next? And this affects entire series of TV shows, not just an episode here and there, but every single episode in many TV series. So its hard for me to blame the files themselves as being corrupt or flawed.

Is there anything else I can test, try, or gather to help narrow this down?

I'm using the emby shuffle feature, so I did not think that consecutive mattered. I added some random episodes to a playlist and ran repeated shuffle tests to ensure that both files caused the audio to drop out.

I figured as much.

ebr, you mentioned the below:

On 1/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, ebr said:

Not from our perspective but the events occurring in the player are different.  Also, the issue could be related to something that is at the very end of these episodes...

Is there a way to influence the player behavior in the two different transition scenarios? Even if its just for debugging?

13 hours ago, foleys said:

Is there a way to influence the player behavior in the two different transition scenarios? Even if its just for debugging?

Not that I can think of.