Audio drops out

foleys
Go to solution Solved by foleys,

For the most part yes. Some shows it never happens, most shows it happens on literally every transition, and some shows it just happens sporadic.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, foleys said:

I have not. Is obtaining access to the Amazon Fire TV App beta still accomplished as described in this post?

Yes.  Please PM me your Amazon region.

rbjtech

An interesting one.

Can you create a short 10 second media file with just Video - no Audio.

Then add this to play after the normal media so

Media (AV) > Media (no Audio) > Media (AV)

I feel it's something to do with the AVR handshake/HDCP, so maybe playing a short video with no Audio resets it somehow.  Just something to try ? ;)

edit --

Or - using your own tests, instead of a blank Audio media, playback a file using one of the two Audio methods below - again, with the idea that this resets the HDCP, ready for the 'next' track.  I agree with your logic, it's the transition from one to another which is tripping this up - as playing it manually works fine.

Things that DID resolve the issue:
 - downmix the AAC-LC 6 channel audio track to AAC-LC 2 channel stereo
 - re-encode the audio track to AC3 6 channe

I have a spare Gen 2 FireTV stick and free HDMI ports on my Denon AVR, so I may try and recreate this myself. 

edit 2 - Ah this HEVC profile is not compatible with a Gen2 fireTV stick - they transcode, so not a fair test - so can't reproduce the test scenario, sorry.

Edited by rbjtech

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I feel it's something to do with the AVR handshake/HDCP

I agree.  That seems like the most likely culprit.  Just not sure why.  I cannot reproduce it either.

foleys
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Media (AV) > Media (no Audio) > Media (AV)

Unfortunately this did not help. I had actually previously tried something similar by sandwiching the offending media with known-good media in a playlist.

rbjtech

If I understood your post above, if you converted the media to AC3 instead of 6 channel AAC, the issue appears to resolve itself ?

The latest Yammy f/w (7th Jan) does mention an Audio Drop Out issue - it may be totally unrelated of course.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/rx-a2a_rx-v6a_tsr-700_firm.html

Edited by rbjtech

foleys
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

If I understood your post above, if you converted the media to AC3 instead of 6 channel AAC, the issue appears to resolve itself ?

Yes that is correct. I used mkvtoolnix to extract all the individual streams, then re-encode the audio to AC3, and remux.

Good find on the firmware, but unfortunately this did not fix the issue either. I'm not using ARC, so I would not have necessarily expected it to help.

• 3 months later...
  • Solution
foleys

This issue appears to be resolved with either the Server 4.6 release or the Android/FireTV client 2.0 release. They were both released in to close of a time frame that I was unable to test each new release individually.