Question about my user transcoding permissions

cochize1

cochize1

So, is that figured out already?

Why is live tv from m3u playing without transcoding on Firefox and Safari but fail to even start in Chrome and Opera?

cochize1

Here you go, the steps I followed:

~12:29PM: I restarted the server 4.5.4.0 on Synology NAS with transcoding turned off.

~12:30PM:. Tried playing my m3u list in Chrome but the circle just keeps spinning and no programm is being played.

~12:31PM: I logged out of Chrome, logged into Firefox, played the same channel and it started instantly playing smoothly.

~12:32PM: I logged out of Firefox, logged into Chrome, enabled transcoding and changed playback bitrate to 1080p - 8Mbps and played the same channel, it plays smoothly with transcoding (I also tried with bitrate set to automatic + transcoding on but it failed to start)

My question, Is there a way to play m3u lists in Chrome without transcoding enabled and with bitrate set to automatic, just like in Firefox?

Logs attached.

Chrome version is  87.0.4280.141 (64 bit)

Firefox version is 84.0.2 (64 bit)

PS: not sure it is relevant because I don't know how to read the logs but the password to my m3u list is i.e password123 whereas I see in logs that there are extre '3333' added and it looks like password1233333

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f42a2d7d-16e5-4b59-bcba-2542fefbecfe_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-e216c0fb-f49c-4126-b0e6-d7ebc1c7018b_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-df1f90b3-bd8f-4459-bb57-019616e4f484_1.txt

Edited by cochize1

2 hours ago, cochize1 said:

enabled transcoding

When you disabled this option, there was text underneath it explaining that doing so could cause playback failures in some apps, correct?

cochize1
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

When you disabled this option, there was text underneath it explaining that doing so could cause playback failures in some apps, correct?

I am talking about this option being disabled as i have it always switched off for all users and myself. So no,  there's not any message being displayed.

When I turn it on and turn bitrate to i.e 8 Mbps I can play Live TV in Chrome, but I want to have it disabled and bitrate set to automatic and still be able to play TV in Chrome, just like in Firefox.

image.png.f3a144270ab12d2c8f97ac80ad7cb8a0.png

Edited by cochize1

Hi.  The answer to your question is in the image you posted.  Disabling transcoding means that some content will not be able to play on some platforms/apps.

image.png

cochize1

Ok, since that is a little vague, is there any reason why it can play in Firefox or Safari but it can't in Chrome?

And is there anything I can do to make it available in Chrome without transcoding being enabled?

Each browser supports it's own set of media formats. This needs to be converted in order to be playable but you've taken away that permission, so that's why you're getting an error.

cochize1

I wouldn't have a problem with that being always enabled if it would be just for live TV and not for all media as well (maybe feature request). I've seen examples of my x264 low bitrate files being transcoded for no particular reason (probably internet connection on the user's side) but since I have turned that off everything plays just fine. Well except for Live TV in most of people's browser of first choice.

So the final answer would be that Chrome browser cannot play live tv without transcoding enabled and there is no any way around it, is that correct?

1 minute ago, cochize1 said:

So the final answer would be that Chrome browser cannot play live tv without transcoding enabled and there is no any way around it, is that correct?

No that's not true in all cases. The final answer is Chrome cannot play this particular stream without transcoding enabled, but other users may have streams in different formats that the browser can direct play just fine.

cochize1

@Lukejust one final question, does the fact the hls.min.js fails to load can be the culprint or is just the outcome of trying to play hls list in Chrome?

image.thumb.png.1b94d1d5a44f4a3ac072c8f5c146d436.png