4k Stutter

poormanshummer

poormanshummer

After reading through the forums I've seen a number of people having problems playing 4k content. I've been trying on and off for months but I cannot get Emby Theater to play 4k content smoothly (VLC plays them fine).

The setup I'm using:

Server: Synology DS918+

Client: Win 10 PC

I've been able to stream 4k content or direct play over the network with no issues and minimal resources so I don't believe it's a hardware setup. I've tried all the setting in ET that I can find (through the GUI), some cause certain files to play smoothly but not others. I love the interface but it's been garbage for 4k. Does anyone have any suggestions that I'm missing? I haven't tried Plex yet - is that a better option for 4k?

image.thumb.png.baad2929e26aea37785a144da4135d21.png

Any tips or tricks would be muchly appreciated!

Cheers

image.png

Edited by poormanhummer

Hello poormanhummer,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

On 1/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, poormanhummer said:

Hi, This log file shows transcode performance of 35% of what is needed at a minimum to transcode this file.

You you sure this transcode corresponds with the Theater playback?  Theater is showing direct play while this is a transcode.

poormanshummer
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, This log file shows transcode performance of 35% of what is needed at a minimum to transcode this file.

You you sure this transcode corresponds with the Theater playback?  Theater is showing direct play while this is a transcode.

Hi Cayars,

It does seem odd but yes - ET shows direct play while the server shows transcode.

poormanshummer
2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

It's not transcoding. Change your hardware acceleration to d3d11.

2 hours ago, sooty234 said:

And you also haven't used the optional network path in the library config. I'd suggest you do that.

Hi Sooty234,

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll give that a try and let you know if that works.

Cheers

57 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

Hi Cayars,

It does seem odd but yes - ET shows direct play while the server shows transcode.

But I don't think it was a transcode.

You could delete the contents of your log folder if you don't need them while Emby is running.  It won't delete the current log but will get rid of all the ffmpeg logs.
Then try playing back in Theater and see if an ffmpeg log file is generated.

poormanshummer
4 hours ago, sooty234 said:

And you also haven't used the optional network path in the library config. I'd suggest you do that.

I added the optional network path. No difference to playback. I was not able to delete the original file path. Does that matter? Should I create a new library?

Happy2Play

The log above is for Chrome and would be expected to transcode. 

TranscodeReasons=VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported
fps=8.7 speed=0.363x

This would have nothing to do with ET.

May need to see a server log.

Moving to ET section.

Edited by Happy2Play

sooty234
16 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

I added the optional network path. No difference to playback. I was not able to delete the original file path. Does that matter? Should I create a new library?

Please post a screenshot of your video settings in Theater. And another screenshot of the stats for nerds with d3d11 selected for hardware acceleration 

poormanshummer
11 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Please post a screenshot of your video settings in Theater. And another screenshot of the stats for nerds with d3d11 selected for hardware acceleration 

image.thumb.png.b75b4d821a198f8cc5480a84aec7fee9.png

image.thumb.png.b8a3811ae9732d6a44635cc7d05f2277.png

image.thumb.png.5d910b49579a7fd3104c3446fd616b4b.png

image.thumb.png.1bec14c66a2ba83245fdb5db580034f6.png

image.thumb.png.732282f68c8b5d138f2cb4853f6aedca.png

Does that help?

Cheers

Happy2Play

Something does not look right here to me.  How is a 60.2Mbps video direct playing at 27.6Mbps?

sooty234
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Something does not look right here to me.  How is a 60.2Mbps video direct playing at 27.6Mbps?

Variable bit rate. mpv shows that and not a fixed number

sooty234

Try disabling interpolation. That's weird it's making you think that it's actually working, when it shouldn't be. But try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

poormanshummer
18 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Try disabling interpolation. That's weird it's making you think that it's actually working, when it shouldn't be. But try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

I disabled it but no difference.

sooty234

Ah, so there is where I think the problem lies. Please post a screenshot of your audio settings in Theater, and describe your audio equipment and it's configuration. Also, how do you have your Windows audio configured?

poormanshummer
3 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Ah, so there is where I think the problem lies. Please post a screenshot of your audio settings in Theater, and describe your audio equipment and it's configuration. Also, how do you have your Windows audio configured?

Liking the sounds of this!

I have audio running out HDMI to the TV. From the TV I have an optical passthrough to the receiver. It's an older receiver so I disabled DTSHD and TrueHD.

image.thumb.png.3ccb0b6b4ba5bafaf3faebfa8e6a6e7e.png

image.thumb.png.3e938749dca3faaefb0cad0c5eeb1d71.png

sooty234

Please setup mpv logging and attach the log.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:55 AM, sooty234 said:

To generate an mpv log, you need to make an mpv.conf and add logging to it. Be sure to name the log file you're making in the logging entry. Example: log-file="G:\mpv logs\Portable mpv log.txt"

poormanshummer
1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

Please setup mpv logging and attach the log.

That ones gonna take me a bit to figure out...

poormanshummer
On 18/01/2021 at 21:42, sooty234 said:

How can I help you?

Hi

Back at it. Not sure where to start on this one. Ive also tried reinstalling ET as well as trying the Windows app store version. The windows app version transcodes while the download version direct plays. Neither will play 4k smoothly. I took a look at the MPV site for the config file but didnt make much sense to me...