Emby 4k

Stefano1982
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Stefano1982
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is transcoding plenty fast enough.  What exactly wrong during playback of this file?

Always consider that on the same device: firestick 4k, kodi addon emby works great and that with emby tv, movies not only 1080p but also 4k movies with h264 codec work fine on the same device. The problem is only for 4k with h265 hevc codec
In addition the same 4k hevc movie seen with emby mobile version on my xiaomi redmi note 9 pro phone works great

Answering your question: the problem I have with emby tv on firestick 4k for only 4k hevc movies, is that the film takes a long time to start, then starts and after a few seconds it freezes, then it restarts and after a few seconds it freezes and so all the time

poormanshummer
48 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is clear looking at this log your system is only converting at about 35% of the minimum speed needed for files of this size. So if you can't direct play the 4K media you need a 1080 version as well.  This is actually the preferred method many people do.

So it's a hardware issue? Could be. I didn't think so as VLC plays with no dropped frames, Netflix and Youtube play fine as well.

Server: Synology DS918+

Client: Win 10, Core i5, GT1030 GPU

The resource monitor of the server shows 30% usage.

The gpu shows 100% when playing through emby.

Is there any settings I should be looking at or does emby require beefier hardware?

Edited by poormanhummer

46 minutes ago, Stefano1982 said:

Answering your question: the problem I have with emby tv on firestick 4k for only 4k hevc movies, is that the film takes a long time to start, then starts and after a few seconds it freezes, then it restarts and after a few seconds it freezes and so all the time

8 or 10 bit files?  Mp4 or MKV extension? HDR or SDR?
Is it direct playing or not when this happens.

Lot of needed info.

30 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

So it's a hardware issue? Could be. I didn't think so as VLC plays with no dropped frames, Netflix and Youtube play fine as well.

Server: Synology DS918+

Client: Win 10, Core i5, GT1030 GPU

The resource monitor of the server shows 30% usage.

The gpu shows 100% when playing through emby.

Is there any settings I should be looking at or does emby require beefier hardware?

Are we done talking about the Firestick?

It's confusing when pics are from one client, logs from another as above.  Can we stick to one client ONLY at a time?

Stefano1982
43 minutes ago, cayars said:

8 or 10 bit files?  Mp4 or MKV extension? HDR or SDR?
Is it direct playing or not when this happens.

Lot of needed info.

- 8 or 10 bit files: i don't know but this is the details name: "UHD VU 2160P HEVC HDR TRUEHD ENG DTS-HD MA ITA ENG SUBS [LFI]"

- Mp4 or mkv extension? MKV

- HDR or SDR: HDR

- Is it direct playing or not when this happens: NO, is in transcoding HLS (but I don't require transcoding. I require auto/full quality)

35 minutes ago, Stefano1982 said:

- 8 or 10 bit files: i don't know but this is the details name: "UHD VU 2160P HEVC HDR TRUEHD ENG DTS-HD MA ITA ENG SUBS [LFI]"

- Mp4 or mkv extension? MKV

- HDR or SDR: HDR

- Is it direct playing or not when this happens: NO, is in transcoding HLS (but I don't require transcoding. I require auto/full quality)

Show us a pic of the detail screen for this at the bottom.  All the info will be there.

Is this Fire device on the same network as your Emby Server?

Hi.  What kind of audio system is your Fire connected to?

18 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

TRUEHD ENG DTS-HD MA

The Fire isn't going to support either of those audio codecs so will need to remux - OR have the audio option set to "downmix" so that they can direct play.

Stefano1982
On 1/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  What kind of audio system is your Fire connected to?

The Fire isn't going to support either of those audio codecs so will need to remux - OR have the audio option set to "downmix" so that they can direct play.

Hi,

This same audio codec, in the same device, Firestick 4k 32 bit, on same Emby Server, goes without problem when the movie Is in 1080p. 

Moreover, my amplifier, play sound in Dolby Digital or DTS when the movie Is with Dolby codec.

So, repeat, the problem Is only when the film Is in 4k hevc

Stefano1982
On 1/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, cayars said:

Show us a pic of the detail screen for this at the bottom.  All the info will be there.

Is this Fire device on the same network as your Emby Server?

Sorry for late.

Here my photo.

Same device Firestick 4k, with same APP Emby TV, than tip on the same Emby Server.

How you can see, the problem Is only on 4k hevc movies.

IMG_20210121_211923.jpg

IMG_20210121_212017.jpg

rbjtech

The projector is displaying 1080p - is this a 4K projector ?

If not, then tbh I'm not sure why you would be doing this - a native 1080p video would look far superior to any 4K transcoded version...

• Like 1

Stefano1982
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The projector is displaying 1080p - is this a 4K projector ?

If not, then tbh I'm not sure why you would be doing this - a native 1080p video would look far superior to any 4K transcoded version...

Ok but in my smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro in auto quality on the same network of the emby server, i havent any problem with the same 4k movie.

Moreover if i enable transcoding into 720p 1mb/s likewise I have no problems with buffering or other problem

I dont know but i think there Is a bug into source code on emby client when detect firestick or when detect 32 bit architecture or when detect a mix of firestick and 32 bit architecture on play 4k movies or hevc movies....

4 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

Ok but in my smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro in auto quality on the same network of the emby server, i havent any problem with the same 4k movie.

Moreover if i enable transcoding into 720p 1mb/s likewise I have no problems with buffering or other problem

I dont know but i think there Is a bug into source code on emby client when detect firestick or when detect 32 bit architecture or when detect a mix of firestick and 32 bit architecture on play 4k movies or hevc movies....

Was the Note 9 direct playing the 4K media?  It likely was and could play back smoothly.
As rbjtech pointed out above, if you can't play 4K directly you are better off having a 1080p version that you can direct play.

Stefano1982
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Was the Note 9 direct playing the 4K media?  It likely was and could play back smoothly.
As rbjtech pointed out above, if you can't play 4K directly you are better off having a 1080p version that you can direct play.

Hi

The attachment photo was of 1080p movie on projector but in general my Note 9 pro play the same 4k in direct play

Right, for play 4k into projector 1080p but because the same hardware, movie and network, play the same 4k movie with Kodi addon emby perfectly?

If it were a transcoding problem I would also have it with Kodi addon emby and instead it works great even with audio Dolby Digital or DTS in passthrought

If you think about this, logically, it's an Emby client problem

rbjtech

ok - if the projector can 'accept' the 4K input signal (from Kodi) then the projector must be internally downscaling it to 1080p - which is perfectly fine - and actually preferable to any source transcoding.  It may even be doing tone mapping as well (HDR>SDR) - we are not sure.  What model is the projector ?

However, if it is reporting back to emby that it can only do 1080p (a high possibility) - then that is where the problem lies.

As a test, turn off transcoding on emby - and then see if you can get emby to play 4K on the projector 'as is'.

vdatanet

@Stefano1982

As far as I know, Fire TV can't handle that hight bitrate. I don't understand Italian very well, but since it resembles my native language, I understand that it transcodes due to too high a bitrate for the device.

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

@Stefano1982

As far as I know, Fire TV can't handle that hight bitrate. I don't understand Italian very well, but since it resembles my native language, I understand that it transcodes due to too high a bitrate for the device.

Agreed - but that doesn't explain why Kodi can direct play it via the FireTV Stick ?  It's an 88 Mbit/sec file - so I'd also be very surprised if it could ...

OP - Can you show a screen shot of the same Projector/FireTV stick displaying it with Kodi ?

• Like 1

• Solution
16 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

Sorry for late.

Here my photo.

Same device Firestick 4k, with same APP Emby TV, than tip on the same Emby Server.

How you can see, the problem Is only on 4k hevc movies.

IMG_20210121_211923.jpg

IMG_20210121_212017.jpg

Hi.  Your answer is in those pictures.  The item is 87Mb/s and your device is set to a limit of 80Mb/s.  You can try raising the limit in the settings and it may or may not work on the device.

The audio is completely unrelated.

Stefano1982
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Your answer is in those pictures.  The item is 87Mb/s and your device is set to a limit of 80Mb/s.  You can try raising the limit in the settings and it may or may not work on the device.

The audio is completely unrelated.

Super EBR!!!

It works!!!

I thought that the auto quality was already the best and not that it would adapt itself.

I set the maximum which is 160 and booomm, it's gone! Thank you very much. 

Top!

3 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

Yes

EBR has found the solution

Thank you all.

Thanks for the feedback.

rbjtech

The 4K FireTV Stick can play @90 Mbit HEVC files without issue ?  Wow - I'm surprised but good to know 👍

• Like 1

Stefano1982
23 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The 4K FireTV Stick can play @90 Mbit HEVC files without issue ?  Wow - I'm surprised but good to know 👍

Yessss

Works without problems

Stefano1982

If you are interested I am an Italian Youtuber, SD Review

Bit.ly/SDReview321

Currently in Italy I am the one who has made more videos on Kodi of a certain level and I am also the first in Italy who brought OMV to the Raspberry where I installed my first media Server via docker /portainer which of course is Emby.

If you are interested this is the video.

Thanks again to everyone for the great support.

• Like 2