I am giving up ... damn LG.

vsumak

I have Emby Premiere.

ALL the files are playing perfectly fine over direct stream on my Xiaomi Mi9 Lite, even 4K HDR DTS-HD with integrated subtitles over 54Mbit wifi.

But no, crap of an LG won't. LG 55UJ750V over ethernet cable, same with wifi.

Video with integrated subtitles gets transcoded, lags and stutters. Tried every possible setting regarding transcoding and subtitle extraction.

For instance, Terminator Dark Fate 4K HDR lags even with .srt subs.

Started to watch Peaky Blinders couple of days ago, well at least tried to.

1080p and constant stutter. Deleted the whole folder and now I am watching it on Netflix.

So, what sucks? LGs Web Video Player? Emby app for LG?

Edit:

I used to have a NAS, everything on the TV with integrated player was playing fine, USB as well. No stutters.

PC is a 16GB RAM, Ryzen 5 3600 at fixed all core 4200MHz with 5700XT.

Edited by vsumak
Additional info

SamES

It's been discussed a lot on this forum.  Trying to DirectStream (or Transcode) high bitrate 4K files to LG or Samsung TV's is not going to be a good experience.  In time, there are probably improvements that can be made to how this data is streamed by the server, but it is not trivial and will require extensive testing across all platforms.

You have not provided any media information, so I can only guess at the bitrates but a 54Mbit wifi connection is not terribly high.  You will only get maby 30Mbit over it at best, and a 4K video with HDR and DTS-HD could easily exceed that

For best results you need to avoid anything which prevents DirectPlay.

• No TrueHD or atmos audio tracks
  • No graphical subs (dvdsubs, vobsubs)
  • No bitrate limitations on the server or client

Make sure you are using 5GHz wifi (n or ac) and not 2.4GHz.  Wired connection should be fine in most cases as well.

Despite all this, it will not be possible to avoid buffering issues with DirectStream/Transcoding of 4K or other high bitrate content.

Don't give up, work with the community and you will get the best experience possible.  It won't always be perfect, but when you know what to avoid you should be more than happy with the results.

rbjtech

To confirm the above - I have an LG C8 and while the wired Ethernet interface is only 100Mbit/sec, I have experimented with this and it will begin to be troublesome at around 80-90 Mbit - which is at the top end of a 4K Remux.

To note - on my LG, plugging in Ethernet does not automatically disable Wifi - so to test Ethernet (to eliminate if it's a wifi issue) then ensure you disable it manually as it will use wifi as the default given both options.

If wifi works on the Mi9 but not on the LG, then it may also be worth changing the wifi channel.

Yes, I am aware of LG's 10/100 LAN, but overall it's still better than N or A/C.

We don't have any problems regarding wifi, channels are well sorted out, both on 2.4 and 5G.

Router is an Archer C7, currently trying 5G.

My phone connects to 5G wifi with 433Mbps and ookla speedtest tops at 300, which is my ISP speed.

My TV connected to the same wifi tops at 80mbps (tested with various servers) with ookla, and around 150 with fast.com.

Direct streaming was never an issue with NAS even with a simple JBOD array, same TV, same router, same files, playing with LG's integrated player.

New 8TB hard drive in the PC is also way faster than the old ones from NAS.

Yeah, the mentioned video was a bit over 30Mbps, phone plays it directly, TV transcodes it.

I guess Exo player on android is way better than LG's Web Video Player (Stats for nerds).

What about DLNA profiles? Does this have any effect? Trying a custom profile?

rbjtech

There are zero issues with the native LG Player - it's been pushed to ~160 Mbit/sec without issues - see my thread on it.

tbh - I'm not sure why you are having issues @ just 30 Mbit/sec .. 

If you put the file on a USB stick and play that on the LG Player - does it then play ok ?  

• Like 1

There's no issue with the LG native player in terms of performance but there is an issue in terms of supported media formats. That's why the transcoding on the server becomes necessary.

So yes, in that sense, exoplayer on android is more robust than LG's player.

Implementing a more capable player isn't an option on WebOS, right?

For the price in 2017, I should have gone with a proper full array dimming Android TV. Dimming is a joke on this TV.

I am very satisfied with TVs 4K gaming experience though, due to low input lag.