Feature Request (fix): Default Views for Home Videos and Pictures

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I'm making this thread because I believe this is something that got changed/omitted somewhere.

In a previous build, I was able to set the default view for the library type 'Home Videos and Pictures' as folders. That feature appears to be gone, but old users who had that view set still appear to be able to see the previously set default views.

For this library type, I would like to be able to be able to set the default views as:

•  Groups
  •  Collections
  •  Folders
  •  Files 

Additionally, I noticed under the library type 'TV Series', I can no longer set "Coming Soon" as the default view. I have a bunch of series such as the newly announced Star Wars and Marvel series in a library named "Coming Soon" setup as "TV Series" almost entirely so I can ensure I see when the series are coming and can move the pre-setup folders over to the regular library after they premier. This is so that other users don't see a series and go "Hey, I can watch this now!" and then bummed out when its not there or think there's a problem with the server because it won't play.

These two fixes are quick-ish, but I'd like to propose a longer term change in interface. Instead of this stuff being nested exclusively in the users settings, I'd like to see if we could add it to the particular "spot" that user is at.

For instance: Say I'm in "Home Videos and Pictures\Summer Folder\2020 Summer\" --- I may wish to set that as a "Sort files by date" and "Show Files" instead of any additional nested folders that may be there. I think you should be able to set this as a per folder rather then going back to user settings. I think it would make the system a bit more robust. An NFO file inside the folder with these settings might be the best way to handle it this.

Additionally, as the administrator, I would like the ability to make all these settings on the Server Control Panel under Library as well as be able to remove users ability to change the views. 

Hi, it's not gone. You can still use your user home screen options to set the default landing screen for the library.

• Like 1

Your screenshot highlights tv upcoming but I thought this topic was about home videos, so that's what I was responding to.

Ignore this below

I don't think we've ever had upcoming as a landing tab option but it's possible for the future.

For the private library can you show a screenshot of library setup where we can see the content type?

Lighthammer

You REALLY need a screen shot of that?

You know, forget the fact my forum account is 5 years old and I report problems regularly-ish.

Thanks. I believe actually that home videos has never had this option before. It was only added recently in the beta channel, so that means it will be in the next release. Thanks.

• Like 1

Lighthammer

Both absolutely had in the past. I can compare both my servers side by side.

I have a small mobile server I recently setup on a laptop and my main rig. The main rig has all the options I mentioned.

I'll see if changing to the beta build gives me these.

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, Lighthammer said:

Both absolutely had in the past.

I am confused as what I am reading never existed.

To many thing mentioned here, but Home video never had default screen option.  The first tab use to be Folders.(option in beta)  But what do Group and Collections have to do with Home videos?  They are not and have never been tab options.  What would file view be a flat view of everything?  But this would be new also.  But are covered in the Video and the photo tabs.

TV, upcoming was never a default screen option.  At least not as far back a 4.3.x as I have a portable still on my test system.

But there should be a default screen option for every tab available per content type. @Luke

I would like to tag along on this feature too.  In the past I had two separate libraries set up; one for photos (only) another for family videos (only).  Emby was changed to merge the two (which I don't mind) but the defaulted view when going to this library is the video view.  Usually when I go to the library I am most likely looking for pictures not video.  It would be helpful if we could change the default view of the library to any one of the three choices available, either folder, video or photo.  I have both family videos and photos organized by date taken and put the date taken in the filename so that all sorts by name or file will always be in date order.  My preference will likely be to make folder view as my preferred default because my video and photo folders are organized by year so that I can easily find a file by knowing roughly the year and month it was taken.  Right now Photo and and Video view in Emby is only helpful to me when playing random slideshows with music inside the app.  If I need to find something quickly folder view is the only one that is actually functional so it is usually where I start, yet it is the last for the three choices which means 2 button presses minimum before I can even get started trying to find something in particular.  It would also be helpful to add the functionality in both photo and video view of having folder structure recognized as right now in either of these all you get is an extremely long list of every video or picture in your library.  For me it is okay because the file name date orders them from earliest to latest or latest to earliest depending on which sort setting I have turned on but as you can guess it gets rather cumbersome to use this in a library of 106K photos.  Same with the videos.  They are date ordered but if I am sorted from earliest to latest and I want to watch something that was taken recently I either have to resort latest to earliest, scroll all the way to bottom which can take a while and isn't very easy with a remote or go over to the folder view and get to the year/month folder that way.  Just thinking it would be easier to already be in folder view and go direct to what I'm looking for instead.

Addendum to the above post...I just noticed between 3 different clients the behavior is different for each one.  Using the web client, going to home videos and photos the default view is videos.  Using the Emby Theater client for Windows the default view is folder view for this library (which is what I prefer).  Using Android TV client the default view is photo view.  I have two other clients (Samsung TV and Roku) but haven't checked to see what is the default view for those clients.  At minimum I would like for the default view to be user configurable.  If that is not the case, is it possible that you could at least make all clients consistent as to what is displayed as defaults views for all instances?  Thanks for consideration.

16 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Using Android TV client the default view is photo view

This has changed to folder as the default in the current beta.  But, you can also choose whichever one you want in the app.  Just click the "cog" button when in that library.

I'm on Android TV stable. I think I tried the settings and did not see the option to make default but will check again and let you know the outcome.  If the option is not in the stable version, I'll have to wait on the next release.

Thx

22 minutes ago, EZEd said:

If the option is not in the stable version, I'll have to wait on the next release.

It is in the stable release.

Okay just check Android TV stable and the option to set default view is available.  I'll check Roku and Samsung TV and report behavior next time I am able to get to those clients.

Thx

If that is not the case, is it possible that you could at least make all clients consistent as to what is displayed as defaults views for all instances? 

Hi, they are, or were, it's just that there are some minor to moderate changes in progress and apps are getting updated at different times, so it's just temporary until they are all updated with the changes. Thanks for the feedback.

Bottles51

It may be possible to use cover art plugin to modify how this library looks. But I do not have pictures or home movies on my server to test. Just a friendly suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow-up on this for the other clients that I have...Samsung TV and Roku both have ability to select default view between Video, Photo and Folder for this library type.  Web client and Windows Theater client get interesting.  As far as I can tell with my web client set to desktop view style, I do not have the option to change the default view for Video, Photo and Folder within the home video and photo library type.  The view is default to Video view only. For the windows desktop client (Emby Theater) it's a mixed bag.  I have two desktops (both set for desktop view and/or auto) and they present in Folder view as default but I see no way to change that behavior.  The other client is loaded on a laptop and I have toggled it between, desktop, TV and auto.  In all of the cases it presents as default to Video view and I again have no option to change it.  So even within same type clients on similar platforms there really is no consistency to the implementation.  The streaming platforms seem to be in good shape.  It is just the consistency between pc clients (Emby Theater) and web clients that seems to be awry.  Just letting you know my experiences.  Hopefully we see changes and greater consistency in the future.  These are the only clients that I have so cannot comment about any other experiences.

Thx
Ed

Edited by EZEd