TV Show Subtitles Issue

dwestenk

dwestenk

I have a TV Show folder for Season 1 with all episodes and associated .srt files with the folder structure:

TV Show |

TV Show - S01E01 - Episode 1.mkv (or mp4)

TV Show - S01E01 - Episode 1.srt

TV Show - S01E02 - Episode 2.mkv (or mp4)

TV Show - S01E02 - Episode 2.srt

etc.

However, the subtitles are not displayed when the show is played via Emby on Roku. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Ronstang

Do your subtitles display in other video players on your computer?  I had this issue once and it turned out although I had a subtitle files with an .srt extension the program that extracted them did so incorrectly and they would not display in any video player.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, dwestenk said:

However, the subtitles are not displayed when the show is played via Emby on Roku. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Do they appear in the web client in the items Media Info section?

rbjtech

.srt files are just text files - double click on one and use notepad to open it to confirm it is a proper .srt file - it should be literal lines of spoken text with timing's.

dwestenk
45 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Do they appear in the web client in the items Media Info section?

No, they do not display in the Media Info section.

dwestenk
22 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

.srt files are just text files - double click on one and use notepad to open it to confirm it is a proper .srt file - it should be literal lines of spoken text with timing's.

Yes, they are lines of spoken text with timings.

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, dwestenk said:

No, they do not display in the Media Info section.

Ensure the .srt filename exactly matches the video file - and then perhaps force a library re-scan ? 

Until they are shown in the Media Info section, Emby is not aware of them.

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play

Can you go over a specific example to include folder structure and naming.

dwestenk
25 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you go over a specific example to include folder structure and naming.

Here is one of the folders...

Capture.JPG

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, dwestenk said:

Here is one of the folders...

Capture.JPG

What is the library structure, Library-Show-Episodes or Library-Show-Season x-Episodes?

dwestenk
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What is the library structure, Library-Show-Episodes or Library-Show-Season x-Episodes?

The structure is Media | TV Shows | Save Me | Season 1 | Episodes

Screenshot 2020-11-09 180746.jpg

dwestenk
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

By the way, to get the subtitles, I have the OpenSubtitles plug-in. I go to the Episode, choose the ... More, then Edit Subtitles, then Search, and download one of them...

Happy2Play

Probably need a server log then as I just added the Series to a test machine with exact same structure and naming and subtitles appear in the Web Client (unless this is a specific client issue).

Episode 1 show undefined subtitle do to no language and Episode 2 shows English sub.

Hi, If you can't get this figured out, I could do a remote session with you and go over this and help you get it worked out.

dwestenk

FYI, by changing the folder names on the server by removing the spaces and then removing each library and adding the newly named ones back, solved the subtitles issue. Many thanks to Happy2Play, cayars, and Luke for all their assistance!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@Luke has something changed as this is the second NAS user that has issues with libraries with spaces in their folder path?

We don't know that yet. It could just be the act of renaming it which caused it to become a new library item.

Happy2Play

I guess a test would be creating a new library with a space in the name (add a couple items) and see if same results happen if your willing to test @dwestenk.

But either way something in the/a update would have had to break the original path.

Edited by Happy2Play

dwestenk
50 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I guess a test would be creating a new library with a space in the name (add a couple items) and see if same results happen if your willing to test @dwestenk.

But either way something in the/a update would have had to break the original path.

Weirdly, now when I tested the subtitles are there whether there is a space in the folder name or not...

(Now, if only the timings were right...)

2 hours ago, dwestenk said:

(Now, if only the timings were right...)

It depends on the subtitle. If these are SUBRIP or ASS/SSA the Roku is going to MUNG these and strip them back to pure text. Sometimes the time stamps also get stripped. It might start showing the subtitles like a book scrolling them in a small area way out of sync. It might also just show them a few milliseconds too early or late where a subtitle offset could correct them. But if the item is direct playing there is no way to introduce a subtitle offset. A subtitle offset could only be applied to external subtitles. This means Roku needs to give us a subtitle offset option that developers can expose to users within their application. So far Roku doesn't think enough users suffer the problem to offer the subtitle offset.

Only SRT subtitles are officially supported with direct play. We allow SUBRIP and ASS/SSA as a feature. You can deny SUBRIP and ASS/SSA with a setting in the Roku app.

You can visit https://community.roku.com/ and make a new thread about them adding a subtitle offset. If the problem is continually brought up by different users eventually they should address it. It can only be swept under the rug and we post again and bring it out. Then they let the post go stale in effect swept under the rug again. But over time with enough people moving the rug they will notice the problem.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Subtitles-offset-support-for-Plex-channel/m-p/573688

It is a common enough problem that you can piggy back onto this thread above.

Edited by speechles

pwhodges
2 hours ago, speechles said:

Only SRT subtitles are officially supported with direct play. We allow SUBRIP and ASS/SSA as a feature.

Um, SRT is the file extension for SubRip subtitles, so what are you trying to say here?

Paul

34 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Um, SRT is the file extension for SubRip subtitles, so what are you trying to say here?

Paul

If the extension is SRT Roku understands what they are. If they come up as SUBRIP Roku drops the ball and will strip them.

Not I'm following this either.

SRT=Subrip, they are one and the same which are text files.

The Roku has two forms. SUBRIP which means munged and Roku will strip. Then SRT which you have that are purposely text and not munged.

The recent changes in Roku firmware 9.4.x have changed some things with how audio tracks and subtitles can be selected. You can press * and select them directly from the Roku overlay. Not just within the Emby OSD. The mechanism that allows direct play of ASS/SSA seems better as well as when it determines SUBRIP and strips tagging it isn't stripping all the text.

Edited by speechles