Color Flash/Banding With Edge Chromium

joshhuggins

joshhuggins

Has anyone seen this type of stream issue lately with Edge? I am not 100% sure, but I think it started happening with the release of version 86 of Edge, within the last month or 2. I have been using Edge for probably 6 months before that with emby without issue. I do not get this with Firefox.

- The first screenshot is from my desktop back on 10-07-20. HD streams flash like this approx 40% of the time at a fullscreen scene change with a flash of color across the whole screen. I paused the video here to capture it. The same flash and color bands are almost identical when I just tried again tonight to capture it on Edge version 86.0.622.63. I don't have what version I was running on 10/07, sorry.

- Second screenshot is from my media center today running Edge version 86.0.622.56. Same scene change. It doesn't show the coloring, but you can see some marks at approximately the same location as the transition points on the color banding (sorry don't know the technical terms for this stuff).

- Third screen shot is the same pause of screenshot #2 just with the stats turned on since it would have covered over the little artifacts in screenshot #2.

I have added a log playing a short section approx 10 seconds before the screen shots and let it run for a bit, and the same issue occurred about 5-7 times in approx 20-30 seconds of video. I don't know what to look for in the logs, but I do see mention of throttling, could that be related? Thanks for any ideas!

2020-10-07_233906.jpg

86-0-622-56.PNG

86-0-622-56-nerd.PNG

ffmpeg-remux-46dc35a3-ffd8-44f5-9ad8-278742305f0d_1.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by joshhuggins

Hi, are your video drivers up to date? We're streaming the original video for the browser video player to play, so I'm not quite sure what's going on here.

As a test, if you lower the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode, does that resolve it? 

joshhuggins

Hi Luke,

My Nvidia drivers were fairly recent but I updated and the issue remains. I have an EVGA 1070 FWIW.

With this Hobbit video, I went thru quality settings of 1080p-60 thru 1080p-30 and the banding was there on all of the quality settings. Once I dropped to 25Mbps or lower it stopped which kind of makes sense since the video has a bitrate of 25.8.

I went thru 4 movies I knew were having this issue and when I drop the quality below the video's bitrate, the issue stopped. I have not been able to determine why some files with seemingly the same range of video properties (codecs, bitrates, containers etc.) do not have the same issue. I'll keep poking. Thanks Luke.