Emby now transcoding when it didn't happen before

bossnass15

bossnass15

Hi guys,

Emby Premier subscriber and newbie here (Please go easy with me on the technical jargons!).

A few months ago I downloaded emby trial and plex to play back my 4K content (I have the same movie from a year or 2 ago as a reference) with subtitles on. E mby works a treat while Plex transcodes everything in 4K with subtitles (I've referenced the movies and logs below). Plex later upgrades their server/client and it soon was able to play 4k content without transcoding with subtitles albeit with a long wait/loading times. Emby back then plays everything without transcoding and with fast loading times. And for this exact reason I went with Emby Premier. Now the exact reason is gone.

Fast forward to today and now Emby seems to be transcoding selected 4k content where it didn't before. As a reference, I've tried it on Plex and Plex still direct plays it, so somethings gotta give with Emby. (Screenshots of Direct Play with Plex below)

My Setup:

Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro. (Version 9, SHIELD Android TV Software version - 8.2.0)

LG 65" OLED C9

NAS Synology

NAD T758 V2/3 AVR

Emby Server - 4.5.2.0. I've also tried going to the latest beta versions because of this issue, however it doesn't work.

Emby Client Version - Current Latest on Android as of this date. Not sure how to check this one.

Nvidia Shield is used as both the server and client. I've also restarted Shield and reinstalled both Emby server and client with no results.

1905639067_PlexDirectPlaywithSubtitles1.thumb.jpg.3ddf789f77df9a806bf159466da565e8.jpg1790983770_PlexDirectPlaywithSubtitles2.thumb.jpg.03f9486e1398eb9fc4ced5815ffeec0d.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-8b95576d-3930-4294-9b03-4ac027900297_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c6e4c2fb-b007-4ae5-b5da-11073a38ad74_1.txt

Edited by bossnass15

Hi, the second example is due to selecting graphic subtitles, which the app doesn't yet support direct playing with, although it will in future updates.

If you'd like to try our standard android app on the Shield:

It also runs on the Shield, and is a little ahead in terms of video player development. It should direct play both of these. The Android TV app will ultimately get the same enhancements.

bossnass15

Thanks Luke. It solves the issue for Maleficient but not Burning (Korean movie) when fast forwarding in the examples above. I've attached the latest log when playing with the .apk file you've provided.

As a reference, Plex plays it fine when fastforwarding, albeit with long wait times initially. From memory, Emby plays this movie fine even with fast-fowarding/subtitles on in the past. I've used it as a benchmark against Plex before - now the roles are reversed. 😔

ffmpeg-transcode-bbd9ebcb-0c4c-496d-bfe1-78e45886cd50_1.txt

bossnass15

@Luke Is there a way to get back the old .apk where things were working?

I don't really bother with settings too much, just want things to work flawlessly like before.

Rather put up with the old .apk and wait for the latest.

The android tv app never had support for dvdsub subtitles, well except perhaps a long time ago when we embedded vlc but that would be going back three years ago.

So to answer the question, there is no recent previous version that will do that for you.

15 minutes ago, bossnass15 said:

Thanks Luke. It solves the issue for Maleficient but not Burning (Korean movie) when fast forwarding in the examples above. I've attached the latest log when playing with the .apk file you've provided.

As a reference, Plex plays it fine when fastforwarding, albeit with long wait times initially. From memory, Emby plays this movie fine even with fast-fowarding/subtitles on in the past. I've used it as a benchmark against Plex before - now the roles are reversed. 😔

ffmpeg-transcode-bbd9ebcb-0c4c-496d-bfe1-78e45886cd50_1.txt 12 kB · 2 downloads

The video player had an error direct playing the file. We can look into that. can you get a log from the app?

Is it possible to grant temporary access to your server so that we can test this file ourselves? If that's OK then please send me a PM with your server url, and a username and password we can use to test with. Thanks.

bossnass15
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Is it possible to grant temporary access to your server so that we can test this file ourselves? If that's OK then please send me a PM with your server url, and a username and password we can use to test with. Thanks.

Done. Btw how do I get notified for any updates to the Nvidia Shield Emby App?

On 11/2/2020 at 7:54 AM, bossnass15 said:

Done. Btw how do I get notified for any updates to the Nvidia Shield Emby App?

The google play store will handle updates for you.