Oscar winners and bad movies

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I had a thought as I was watching "The Ipcress File" I thought about actors that are very good but have appeared in very bad movies like "Michael Caine" appearing in stinkers like "The Swarm" and I though I would make a list of actors that have at least on Academy Award but have appeared in one or more truly bad movies. I though I would include the actor's name and at least one of the bad movies they have appeared in. the list is not intended to be complete or perfect.

1. Michael Caine - "The Swarm" - "On Deadly Ground"
2. Dustin Hoffman - "Ishtar" - "Outbreak"
3. John Wayne - About half of his very early work.
4.  Sigourney Weaver - "Alien 3" - "Alien Resurrection" (Proof that sequels past #2 are generally a bad idea.
5. Peter Graves - "Airplane II: The Sequel" - "Beginning of the End (Almost all of the Sci-Fi movies he has appeared in are truly bad)
6. Humphrey Bogart -"Men Are Such Fools" (There are a few more but this is proof that even the great can stumble.)
7. Bette Davis -"The Scientific Cardplayer"
8. Tom Cruise - "Endless Love" 
9. Jack Nicholson - "Man Trouble" (It was actually hard to remember a bad movie with the great Jack."
10. Tom Hanks - "He Knows You're Alone" (This is another where it was hard to remember a bad movie)

When I got to ten I realized that almost all actors have been in at least one real bad movie so I stopped but feel free to add others as you want. Even Marlon Brando had the 1992 movie "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery" as a pretty low point. Also look at the big names in "Waterworld" to add a number of names to the list. Listing bad movies with great stars is actually an exercise in futility. "They're everywhere. They're everywhere."

adamstewiegreen

While the original Alien 3 is bad, the "Assembly Cut" is only a "bad" movie when put along side Alien and Aliens.  Outside the franchise it's a passable popcorn fare.  Thank god it didn't destroy Fincher's career.

Gilgamesh_48
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

Some of the people on you list haven't won an Oscar (ie Tom Cruise). :)

That is true. Since I was working from memory I don't think it was too bad. I believe I screwed up where the actors were in a movie that won an Oscar and I associated the movie with the actor. I also could have messed up when I thought the actor had enough great rolls that they were bound to hit the lottery at least once. However I should have remembered that Oscars are not really given for the best performances each year but they often are given for "other" reasons.

Since the original post I have also realized the what I consider a "bad" movie others do not agree. ex. "Alien 3" as mentioned above and "The Scientific Cardplayer" (aka: "The Scopone Game") has a rating of 7.7 on IMDB

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

arrbee99

Anything De Niro has made in the last decade ?

Or this century actually.

Edited by arrbee99
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Since the original post I have also realized the what I consider a "bad" movie others do not agree. ex. "Alien 3" as mentioned above and "The Scientific Cardplayer" (aka: "The Scopone Game") has a rating of 7.7 on IMDB

Your server, your decision what's there an what is bad. LOL