Embyserver.exe missing

HHTEX

While setting up emby connect so I could use alexa to play music.  I was getting the standard error from alexa " I can't find your server". 

I noticed the standard you need to restart emby due to an upgrade, thinking this might be the issue,  I clicked on the power button and shut down emby, which wouldn't restart, so  I just rebooted the PC.  Now the service throws the error below and I searched the entire server and the exe file is flat gone.  I don't remember what version I was on vs what the update was moving too. 

Update: I found the exe file buried in the following : C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Temp\emby-server-updater

Update#2: added log files

Capture.JPG

log.js logs.js log.css

Edited by HHTEX

pwhodges

Someone might come up with a more surgical solution, but what I'd do is download the current version from here (open "Assets" and scroll to the end to find the windows versions) and replace your existing ...\system directory with the one in the downloaded file.  That doesn't overwrite or change any settings or library information.

If prudent, you might like to save the existing system directory by naming it system.old or somesuch.

Paul

Thanks pwhodges, that worked and the server is back up and running.  Owe you a few.... 🍻

However it threw me another a nasty new wrinkle.  The emby app on my roku's was requiring a password, but I found the no password for local network settings.  I don't remember that particular requirement but it could be a feature of the latest update.  In any case, this looks like a corrupt upgrade. Hopefully one of the dev's will chime in. 

pwhodges

In the dashboard, select the user that you use to log in from the Roku, go to the Password page for that user, and at the bottom are the settings for password usage on the local network.  Check the setting is as you expect.

localpassword.thumb.jpg.e139d9f5024f087ac45a487027c3e58e.jpg

If it is not behaving as expected, check on the main dashboard page that Emby thinks its local IP address is one that's on the same subnet as the one shown in the Roku settings.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HHTEX said:

Thanks pwhodges, that worked and the server is back up and running.  Owe you a few.... 🍻

However it threw me another a nasty new wrinkle.  The emby app on my roku's was requiring a password, but I found the no password for local network settings.  I don't remember that particular requirement but it could be a feature of the latest update.  In any case, this looks like a corrupt upgrade. Hopefully one of the dev's will chime in. 

HI, sorry can you please explain in more detail? You don't remember what requirement exactly?

I got the password issue fixed, it was a settings issue.  That said the complete corruption of the install after attempting an upgrade warrants some investigation.  All the exe files from the system folder were just gone.

11 minutes ago, HHTEX said:

the complete corruption of the install after attempting an upgrade warrants some investigation.  All the exe files from the system folder were just gone.

Hi.  This sounds like anti-virus software... Can you check into that?

Anytime I've seen the EXE come up missing it's a virus or malware program doing this.  I often submit "false positives" to vendors for things like this.

Personally I would setup exclusions for Emby folders and all MEDIA FOLDERS since scanning them takes time and can cause delays in Emby Server opening the files.

No it's not anitvirus software, I run the basic windows security software and I found all the exe files in the C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Temp\emby-server-updater  folder.  If the system had found the exe files offensive they wouldn't be in the update folder.  In addition when I used pwhodges suggestion to fix the issue, windows did not complain. 

To bootstrap my thoughts I checked windows security and it's telling me no threats have been found. 

Keep in mind not all programs run in real time so a file can be on disk (not caught at write time) but it removed later.  Not saying this is what happened to you, just saying these are typically the reasons EXEs come up missing (not just Emby but EXEs in general).

2 hours ago, cayars said:

Keep in mind not all programs run in real time so a file can be on disk (not caught at write time) but it removed later.  Not saying this is what happened to you, just saying these are typically the reasons EXEs come up missing (not just Emby but EXEs in general).

True, but if windows had removed the file(s) as malicious the history would be showing threats found but it doesn't.