Movies same name and year

Happy2Play

Happy2Play

If you only have one of these, you could do it the usual way and then use the Identify feature if the correct one is not picked.

Or in the folder or file name you could do

Alone (2020) [tmdbid=xxxx]

We should probably look at supporting imdb id's with that as well.

• Like 1

WOW, had no idea Emby would read that info.  You guys should document this somewhere.  LOL

I'd like to get this info the KBs.  So far tmdbid & imdbid have been mentioned.  Any other providers?
Is this for Movies only?
Will Emby read this on folders, file names or both?

If I have Top Gun but use the ID of Days of Thunder will it get recognized as Days of Thunder since the ID specified was for it?

@Luke This is something that could be useful in that other program we've been chatting about in PM using the "Emby Tag".

Happy2Play
52 minutes ago, cayars said:

If I have Top Gun but use the ID of Days of Thunder will it get recognized as Days of Thunder since the ID specified was for it?

Yes as imdbid/tmdbid is what is queried.

2020-10-11 19:20:17.744 Debug App: Running MovieDbProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - DB\Top Gun (1986) [imdbid=tt0099371]\Top Gun (1986).strm
2020-10-11 19:20:17.748 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.themoviedb.org/3/movie/tt0099371?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=casts,releases,images,keywords,trailers&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
2020-10-11 19:20:19.115 Debug App: Running OmdbItemProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - DB\Top Gun (1986) [imdbid=tt0099371]\Top Gun (1986).strm
2020-10-11 19:20:19.121 Info HttpClient: GET https://private.omdbapi.com?apikey=fe53f97e&i=tt0099371&plot=short&tomatoes=true&r=json

Looks like @MikePlanet helped add it in 2015.

Edited by Happy2Play

hmm, is that Happy2Play or someone hacked his account? :)

Well the knowing about imdb/tv... ID been there since day one or two of Emby.

pwhodges

If you use this for multi-version movies, presumably you have to repeat the id information in both folder and file name, as I suppose the name matching that is necessary for that to work right is a simple text match.

Paul

• 2 months later...
Lefty3382
On 10/12/2020 at 7:45 AM, pwhodges said:

If you use this for multi-version movies, presumably you have to repeat the id information in both folder and file name, as I suppose the name matching that is necessary for that to work right is a simple text match.

Paul

Just ran into this scenario when renaming all of my movie folders to include the TMDB ID.  When you rename a movie folder containing multiple versions, it breaks the multi-version identification and splits the versions apart into separate movies.

I wish there was an alternative to being forced to rename the files as a fix to this issue, since for the majority of my movie collection this is not necessary.  I wrote a script that renamed all of my movie folders (9,000+) to include the TMDB ID, and now all of my multi-version movies have been split.  So now I have to go through and identify each movie with multiple versions (there's no filter for this in the Emby interface, btw) and rename the files.

At the very least I think a note for this issue should be added to the KB article referenced above, warning those who might decide to rename their movie folders to include an ID tag.

Hi, that's not true. Renaming a movie folder doesn't break multi version. It just depends on what the folder and file names are afterwards and if they still follow our multi version naming requirements 

Lefty3382

I'm afraid that is not my experience.  I have a movie with multiple versions and is identified as such using the correct multi-version naming requirements, I then rename the movie folder to include the TMDB ID and after refreshing metadata Emby then returns separate entries in the interface for each version and downloads separate image files for each version. 

I then removed the TMDB ID from the folder name and refreshed metadata and the movie once again resolved to a single movie with multiple versions.

I then re-added the TMDB ID to the movie folder name and it once again split the versions apart.

I then renamed both the folder and the files within it to include the TMDB ID and it once again resolved back to a single movie with multiple versions.

I have repeated this process with multiple movies.

Example (Movies are split):

\A Star Is Born (2018) [tmdbid=332562]

\A Star Is Born (2018) - Encore Edition.mp4

\A Star Is Born (2018) - Theatrical Edition.mp4

Example (Movies are NOT split):

\A Star Is Born (2018) [tmdbid=332562] - Encore Edition.mp4

\A Star Is Born (2018) [tmdbid=332562] - Theatrical Edition.mp4

Am I missing something?  Doing something wrong?

Happy2Play
27 minutes ago, Lefty3382 said:

I wish there was an alternative to being forced to rename the files as a fix to this issue, since for the majority of my movie collection this is not necessary.

Well technically there is via the multiversion plugin that groups by providerid no matter folder/naming/library.  But with the plugin there is no way to have library exceptions.

Automatic version grouping for movies - Plugins - Emby Community

6 minutes ago, Lefty3382 said:

No as Luke and Paul mention the kb Multi-version rule applies for Emby to automatically group.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lefty3382 said:

I'm afraid that is not my experience.  I have a movie with multiple versions and is identified as such using the correct multi-version naming requirements, I then rename the movie folder to include the TMDB ID and after refreshing metadata Emby then returns separate entries in the interface for each version and downloads separate image files for each version. 

I then removed the TMDB ID from the folder name and refreshed metadata and the movie once again resolved to a single movie with multiple versions.

I then re-added the TMDB ID to the movie folder name and it once again split the versions apart.

I then renamed both the folder and the files within it to include the TMDB ID and it once again resolved back to a single movie with multiple versions.

I have repeated this process with multiple movies.

Example (Movies are split):

\A Star Is Born (2018) - Encore Edition.mp4

\A Star Is Born (2018) - Theatrical Edition.mp4

Example (Movies are NOT split):

\A Star Is Born (2018) [tmdbid=332562] - Encore Edition.mp4

\A Star Is Born (2018) [tmdbid=332562] - Theatrical Edition.mp4

You want the folder name IN THE MOVIE NAME.  So if you add the ID to the folder name it also should be part of the file name as well.  Your second version example is the way to go.

Lefty3382
38 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Well technically there is via the multiversion plugin that groups by providerid no matter folder/naming/library.  But with the plugin there is no way to have library exceptions.

Automatic version grouping for movies - Plugins - Emby Community

No as Luke and Paul mention the kb Multi-version rule applies for Emby to automatically group.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

@Happy2Play thank you for the response!  From what I read of your referenced plugin that would indeed fix my problem.  I do agree with other comments that it would ideally be an optional function integrated directly into Emby.  At least in my case, it would have made this whole process easier as I would have seen it in the settings long ago rather than come by it the long way round via plugin after the fact.  

17 minutes ago, cayars said:

You want the folder name IN THE MOVIE NAME.  So if you add the ID to the folder name it also should be part of the file name as well.  Your second version example is the way to go.

@cayars thank you for the response!  Just to confirm, you are suggesting that I should put the TMDB ID in ALL file names where its in the folder name, regardless of multi/single version?  Despite the fact that Emby only seems to need the ID in the folder name (at least for single version movies) to use it to identify the correct title?  If so, I definitely think that should be stated in the KB article as best practice, as currently there is no distinction between files/folders on the topic.  After adding the ID to the folder name and confirming it used it to accurately identify the title, I assumed that was enough.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Lefty3382 said:

Just to confirm, you are suggesting that I should put the TMDB ID in ALL file names where its in the folder name, regardless of multi/single version?  Despite the fact that Emby only seems to need the ID in the folder name (at least for single version movies) to use it to identify the correct title?  If so, I definitely think that should be stated in the KB article as best practice, as currently there is no distinction between files/folders on the topic.  After adding the ID to the folder name and confirming it used it to accurately identify the title, I assumed that was enough.

From a single item standpoint all you need is the Folder name as Emby identifies off of Folder name not filename.  But as you read the rules for multi-version you see each item must have foldername.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd do if possible especially if you are scripting this just to be consistent.  It's one less thing to trip you up down the road but as Happ2Play isn't technically needed for single items.

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, that's not true. Renaming a movie folder doesn't break multi version. It just depends on what the folder and file names are afterwards and if they still follow our multi version naming requirements 

But renaming the folder requires the equivalent renaming of the files to maintain those requirements.  So just renaming the folder breaks things, which is expected, but renaming the files to match repairs things again.

My earlier musing was because it hadn't been made clear back then that for this purpose the id is part of the name that must be matched - which has now been confirmed.  Until then it could conceivably have been stripped off for separate processing.

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
adam.niescierowicz
On 10/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, cayars said:

I've added this info to the Movie Naming KB article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

@cayarsyou should mention in docs that tmdbid is prefered tag. If somebody use only imdbid tag and movies don't have a crosslink between databases(imdb and tmdb) it will not be recognized.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adam.niescierowicz said:

@cayarsyou should mention in docs that tmdbid is prefered tag. If somebody use only imdbid tag and movies don't have a crosslink between databases(imdb and tmdb) it will not be recognized.

I added this "Note:  tmdbid is the prefered tag to use for most uses" to the above section in the KB article.  Is that good enough in your opinion? Should it say something else instead?

I try to now keep KB articles short and sweet to the point without overload info so they are easy to read.