What OS are you using with emby for Kodi?

xnappo

What OS do you run XBMB3C on?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. What OS(s) are you running XBMB3C on?

techchad

I currently use a combination of software to get my setup how like it today (however it's always changing...ongoing project since I started it almost 10 years ago).  My main pc is Windows 7 running Mediaportal and always has been going back to version 0.23.  Main reason I chose MP is due to the Live TV backend server and the plugin's TVSeries & Movingpictures, as well as the navigation through the MP application always had a good feel.  IMO XBMC's navigation to me always seemed a bit clunky and never felt quite right.  My main pc hosts Mediabrowser as well, I chose mediabrowser mainly due to it's streaming capabilities, this is where MPExtended and all the remote apps that MP has developed falls very short.  This comes in handy when we travel for in room hotel viewing.

Since installing MB i have setup a Roku 3 in our master bedroom and a Roku 1 in another bedroom.

Now into my XBMC setup also a Windows 7 PC that lives in the garage that is tapped into our home coax cabling using a ZeeVee 280Pro (yes, its overkill but it was given to me for free so I decided to use it), it broadcasts on a digital channel to all TV's in our house and we use it as an OnDemand Digital channel for my 4 year old son's room.  I have all of his shows & movies and setup on that and I use Windows phone with XBMC remote (My wife uses the iPhone XBMC remote) to start them.  XBMC is great for this because of it's remote play functionality.  However, since I've started playing with the XBMB3C it's remote control function may one day take over.  Only problem is the XBMC Remote will continuously play all episodes of a tv show in a particular season without having to setup a playlist, and the volume control works as well, but I will keep playing with it as XBMB3C gets better and better.

I have played a bit with my Raspberry Pi but don't currently have a need for it anywhere in my house so I just use it for testing and development.

My only wishlist would be if MB was able to tie into the LiveTV from Mediaportal,

Edited by techchad

I currently use a combination of software to get my setup how like it today (however it's always changing...ongoing project since I started it almost 10 years ago).  My main pc is Windows 7 running Mediaportal and always has been going back to version 0.23.  Main reason I chose MP is due to the Live TV backend server and the plugin's TVSeries & Movingpictures, as well as the navigation through the MP application always had a good feel.  IMO XBMC's navigation to me always seemed a bit clunky and never felt quite right.  My main pc hosts Mediabrowser as well, I chose mediabrowser mainly due to it's streaming capabilities, this is where MPExtended and all the remote apps that MP has developed falls very short.  This comes in handy when we travel for in room hotel viewing.

Since installing MB i have setup a Roku 3 in our master bedroom and a Roku 1 in another bedroom.

Now into my XBMC setup also a Windows 7 PC that lives in the garage that is tapped into our home coax cabling using a ZeeVee 280Pro (yes, its overkill but it was given to me for free so I decided to use it), it broadcasts on a digital channel to all TV's in our house and we use it as an OnDemand Digital channel for my 4 year old son's room.  I have all of his shows & movies and setup on that and I use Windows phone with XBMC remote (My wife uses the iPhone XBMC remote) to start them.  XBMC is great for this because of it's remote play functionality.  However, since I've started playing with the XBMB3C it's remote control function may one day take over.  Only problem is the XBMC Remote will continuously play all episodes of a tv show in a particular season without having to setup a playlist, and the volume control works as well, but I will keep playing with it as XBMB3C gets better and better.

I have played a bit with my Raspberry Pi but don't currently have a need for it anywhere in my house so I just use it for testing and development.

My only wishlist would be if MB was able to tie into the LiveTV from Mediaportal,

@@techchad  @@Lee @@Spaceboy Go here and mention Live TV integration with Media Portal:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/plugin-mediabrowser-for-mediaportal-v0-30-beta-2014-08-20.119513/page-33#post-1096644

Armand has expressed interest in building that, but hasn't actually gotten started yet. If you can gather up a small crowd to go in there and bang the drum, maybe that will help sway him or another Media Portal developer to take a look at it. And I would also post it here:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/television-mytv-frontend-and-tv-server.90/

im85288

I cannot see how OpenElec would be a pain for anyone to use with the XBMB3C addon in XBMC as the title of the thread suggests...

OpenElec boots straight into XBMC, can be run of usb sticks and works on low powered devices. I presume you have tested this though to base you opinion of it being a pain to use? If so, what parts of it do you find a pain in compared to having to install Windows (not a free OS) and then to boot into it after windows startup.

Deihmos

I was not referring to openelec but referring to Linux in general. I have always had issues with audio, video, freezing and so on, then to fix problems I had to search forums where I would find sudo terminal commands and a not very helpful community. I have never tried openelec and not interested either. For one it is useless for my cablecard.

Edited by Deihmos

im85288

Yeah I think that was quite obvious from your statements about everything else being a pain to use. OpenElec really cannot be described as being hard to use or indeed compared to running it on normal Linux distros such as Ubuntu etc. It's of course your choice to not be interested in openelec, it does however bring a whole load of benefits and is actually very simple to install..and importantly to many people it is 100% free. Anyway, at least now it is clear you have not tried openelec so cannot actually comment on it.

dark_slayer

Ah cablecard. . . the one area comcast truly shines. Other than premium movie channels (HBO, cinemax, starz) their packages are over 90% copy free. Verizon is even better but unreachable from my area

Assuming the comcast mergers go through there should be a lot of new serverwmc users that can watch their cable in openelec and android

xnappo

Pfft - I expect Comcast users will get their CCI locked down, and TWC customers will get data caps :)

(I am a TWC customer)

xnappo

Pfft - I expect Comcast users will get their CCI locked down, and TWC customers will get data caps :)

(I am a TWC customer)

xnappo

which means?

xnappo

On TWC, you can only playback broadcast TV recordings on a player other than WMC.  On Comcast that is only true of HBO etc.  I think the merger will be the worst of both companies.

I use XBMC with WMC as an external player, but this is really, really annoying.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

dark_slayer

On TWC, you can only playback broadcast TV recordings on a player other than WMC.  On Comcast that is only true of HBO etc.  I think the merger will be the worst of both companies.

Glass half full kind of guy huh ;)

Also, Comcast already has data caps in Atlanta ~ lets hope they dont start capping everyone. I really don't think they'll just start turning on CCI

• 3 weeks later...
whitestrat13

Has anyone tried this plugin on an Amazon Fire TV?  I'm starting to consider ditching my Roku 3 as I'm not a big fan of the UI (in reference to the entire OS, not the MB app).  I also read somewhere that the Fire TV would play mpeg 2, which would be great, because then I could just leave all of my DVDs as MKV files and the server wouldn't be transcoding.

• Like 1

elcabong

i have a firetv and its definetaly the best performing box ive purchased under $100 for xbmc.  The only negative i have for the aftv is the volume control.. or lack there of.  if you use volume control through xbmc and want to use mute, you may be dissapointed as its not available.  you can map the volume control to the "volume amplification" function, but it does not allow for muting and has a limited range of volume availability compared to the normal volume control.

I havnt (knowingly) tested mpeg2 to see if transcoding happens, but these 2 threads seem to show it should work under direct stream using libstagefreight.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&pid=1759213#pid1759213

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191109&pid=1760713&highlight=mpeg2#pid1760713

i can check my library when i get home, but dont think much if any of my media is mpeg2 encoded.

• 7 months later...
dragon2611

Voted other as wasn't sure if FireOS counts as android or not (It is pretty much android but amazon have modified it somewhat)

dark_slayer

Voted other as wasn't sure if FireOS counts as android or not (It is pretty much android but amazon have modified it somewhat)

It's android, the only thing they modified is where your money goes when you buy apps

• 4 weeks later...
Deihmos

I can't use anything but windows. All the others have been a pain to setup.

im85288

I can't use anything but windows. All the others have been a pain to setup.

Can you explain how openELEC is a pain to set up? As it comes pre bundled with Kodi and can run of anything (usb stick, SSD etc) I find it hard to believe it's hard to set up.

Deihmos

I can't use that because I use it for for a lot more than just kodi. The HTPC is also a the server, runs sonaar, sabnzbd, couch potato, WMC for my cable card and all of that just wouldn't work using openelec. Linux can't play copy once cable channels. There are other issues that make Linux unacceptable for me like audio from my experience does not work as well as in Windows and Linux generally uses more power than Windows with Intel chips.

Edited by Deihmos

dark_slayer

There are other issues that make Linux unacceptable for me like audio from my experience does not work as well as in Windows and Linux generally uses more power than Windows with Intel chips.

These are both incorrect from the perspective of using an extra Intel box as a kodi client