No Multi Channel Decoding.

QbertMedia

QbertMedia

So I have seen other postings that have some similar issues but not exactly. 

I am using a 2019 Sony TV with a Sony ES receiver. It is hooked up HDMI (ARC). I have about 600 movies and none of them play in proper surround (Multi Channel Decoding). The exception is anything that is DTS those do play correctly. Also before telling me its a Sony problem ALL of these movies do play properly in Plex with the same server/content and TV. I recently moved to Emby (your interface rocks!) I did all my testing before buying premiere on a different Sony android TV. The problem was that TV is just hooked up to 2 speakers so I never saw an issue. I have tried everything setting combination that is in the Android TV app DTS passthrough on/off DTS-HD on/off Audio Auto/Down Convert etc. I don't see any settings in the Emby server itself (I could be missing something). I even went to all the trouble of editing every single movie multi channel audio track as default track 1. I am out of ideas. 

QbertMedia

Here is on example. Movie is 300 in Dolby 5.1. I have attached screenshots of the TV screen and receiver screen from both Emby and Plex. Let me know if anything else would be helpful.

Thank you!

Emby (TV).jpg

Emby (Receiver).jpg

Plex (TV).jpg

Plex (Receiver).jpg

Hi.  That item is not Dolby audio. You can see this in the description in both apps.  it is AAC (which is a type of linear PCM).  Our app is passing it directly to your receiver.  Their's is converting it to Dolby.

QbertMedia

I have many that are AC3 5.1 instead of AAC 5.1 is that the same problem? Do I have to use a lossless rip or are there other formats that keep dolby?

QbertMedia

So I tried. I ripped 4 DVD's lossless MKV's to see what would happen. When I look at the emby description it clearly shows 5.1 (see screenshot) but it still shows up 2 channel PCM when I try to watch it. When I watch it in plex I get 5.1 and its clearly stereo surround to the rear speakers special effects sound correct. 

ScreenShot Emby.jpg

20201001_024444.jpg

Edited by QbertMedia

QbertMedia

Currently I have 

Audio: Auto
DTS Passthru: ON
DTS-HD Passthru: ON

I have tested all combinations of these settings (my receiver does support DTS and DTS-HD as well as Dolby TrueHD.

One thing I should mention. I had this same issue with Plex until I enabled "HDMI Audio Passthrough"  so I think we are on the right track. I don't see an option for that in Emby that isn't DTS. 

And on the TV itself, what are the audio output options set to?  I imagine that is what is buggering this up.

QbertMedia

I tried it with ClearAudio+  on and off

Sound Mode Normal and Cinema

Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital

20201001_124853.thumb.jpg.2c9ae9fe1133d98fead7c1bc91d768e7.jpg20201001_124841.thumb.jpg.0d5238d26a623f311a6366c329586b33.jpg

20201001_124900.jpg

20201001_124908.jpg

That looks like your TV is doing its own surround processing instead of passing through what we give it.  What options are under "Surround"?

QbertMedia

It is mostly working now all AC3, DTS work great (AAC Does not). The only thing I can think of is that some change we made needed a restart of the Emby client to work since it wasn't working this morning and I made no additional changes the client application crashed when I restarted it AC3 worked.

Thank you for all your help!

12 hours ago, QbertMedia said:

(AAC Does not)

According to your images above AAC is working properly.  We are sending it directly to your amp.