Crazy In-Home (LAN) address

Zodler

Hi, perhaps no lan connection was available at the time? It queries your system for network interfaces and gets their reported ip addresses.

If you put ipconfig /all in a windows command prompt, does that ip address show up in there?

My PC ip address is correct. It shows as  

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

That ip address that shows up in Emby Server is listed as

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Ethernet):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : *********************(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.176.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : ***********
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : ****************************
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ***********

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Why is it picking up Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter's address?

I tried a clean server of a previous emby server and it correctly shows as 192.168.1.100.

It's only this latest update.

Windows thinks that is your preferred ethernet adapter. Can you change that in windows network settings?

As far as comparison with previous version, yes it was being filtered out before, but that was causing the network address to not be detected for other users, so we had to correct that.

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)

I have 3 set as preferred. I followed a guide to change network priority and set it at 3 while the other two are 5 but still doesn't take it. This getting too complicated for practical use. Can I add 192.168.1.100 manually in emby server?

Yes you can in server network settings, but if you do that you have to be careful to keep that up to date if the machine ip changes 

Where does this virtual adapter come from? If I can simulate it then maybe we can do our own prioritization to prefer another instead.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

The OS is giving that information to Emby.  But I know my installation of Emby on host machine is not pulling my Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter (but testing I do see this using the Default Virtual Switch as it is using internal config).  But if needed within your specific setup you can try to bind Emby to the correct network via Dashboard-Networks, Local IP address

Local IP address:
Optional. Override the local IP address that Emby Server will present to Emby apps. If left blank, the server will automatically detect the local IP address.

Doing some more testing but I changed my virtual switch to external instead of interal and get proper lan ip.

https://serverfault.com/questions/895739/ip-to-access-hyper-v-host-on-default-switch

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes you can in server network settings, but if you do that you have to be careful to keep that up to date if the machine ip changes 

Where does this virtual adapter come from? If I can simulate it then maybe we can do our own prioritization to prefer another instead.

It is windows virtual machine Hyper-V

Ok here's a patched build of the stable release if you'd like to try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhzs5w88m5ozi4h/embyserver-win-x64-4.5.0.50.7z?dl=0

It won't change anything but it will add extra logging for me. Just shutdown the server and unzip the system directory over the top. Then start it up and either attach the server log here or PM it to me. 

Thanks !

You may need to temporarily undo the setting you configured or it may not query the network interfaces to produce the logging that i need. thanks.

My internet is on wifi yes and the ip address is 192.168.1.100.

I have no knowledge but shouldn't emby prioritize and take an internal ip like 192.168.1.*** first?

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Zodler said:

My internet is on wifi yes and the ip address is 192.168.1.100.

I have no knowledge but shouldn't emby prioritize and take an internal ip like 192.168.1.*** first?

With 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255, 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 and 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 being private networks space, why?  Sure most commercial routers will use 192.168.x.x ip space thought.

Well figures this time around those errors aren't there. Is the server dashboard still reporting your desired local address?

Yes. It's 192.168.1.100. It's working

I still see two blocks of errors in the log. It was just out of curiosity.

By the way, I don't know why but since 2 days ago I'm unable to connect to your site and here. I have to use a VPN to be able to come here. If the server is contacting the site, that must be it.

Yes as I said it is correct since patch 2 and It's set as 192.168.1.100. Patch 2 and patch 3 assign the correct local IP address.

I tested it only with VPN off. Do you want me to test it with VPN on?

Edited by Zodler