Scan Media Library Never Completes

Tanamur

Tanamur

Server Version 3.0.5309.26857

CPU i7 / 8GB RAM / Win7 64-bit

ISP is 50 Mbit/s down

Wired Gigabit Ethernet Throughout

Hi All - Should I purge old metadata?

I have a new NAS and am consolidating about 20TB (350 TV Series + 1000 Movies) that used to reside as backups. It is taking days and days to complete the library scan even with several server restarts after hangs at 65%. 

I have many folders that are full of "old style" meta data files of numbered jpgs in the season metadata folder and old mymovies.xml files.

Could this be part of the problem? Should I just purge these files and refresh? They are just duplicates as they are now in the folders.

Thanks, Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi @@david3663 - Thanks for the suggestion of posting the log which I regularly do but, the question seems pretty straight forward regarding legacy metadata.

I know there have been posts regarding the old jpg numbering system for episode images just taking up space in the metadata folder. What I don't know is if all of the old mymovies.xml and whatever previous xml files containing synopsis, etc are also just impeding the scan process.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tanamur

You migrated the media and metadata is within the media folders?

If so, delete the library.db. This will cause it to rescan everything correctly. It may take awhile, the 640 TV shows and 1800 movies I have takes about 5 hours to rescan everything. I also make sure it has bandwidth available during this scan, as it downloads subtitles, among other things that might require downloading. For the most part it should find everything metadata wise you already have and just roll with that. If you have other plugins in play they may reach out to the internet as well during this scan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

We don't read mymovies.xml files (haven't since like MB 2.6.0 I think) so no information will come from them but they shouldn't slow anything down either.

Tanamur

Thanks @speechless and @@ebr - Sorry I did forget to state all metadata is stored locally.

I appreciate the help and as I mentioned, with my new found NAS space I am restoring and consolidating a lot of disk archives that have not been on-line since MB2. Thus, the legacy mymovies.xml files.

As the first pass, I will delete all existing metadata for the TV series and rescan the library. This will eliminate the space of the duplicate episode images, unused xml files and any other files leftover from old versions or other HTPC applications (estimated 10,000 files). If that hangs at ~70% then I will delete the library.db and let it rebuild as well. Bandwidth is not a problem but I don't want to abuse the sources either.

I'll let you know my results and post back here after experimenting.

Cheers, Tanamur