Shield tv audio out of sync (live TV)

jachin99

jachin99

I have had this issue with two shield TVs and I have the same problem with live channels where the audio regularly gets ahead of the video while watching live tv.  Is there any fix for it?

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

I run the server headless and noticed it had low disk space today.  I freed up some space and I'm testing again.  Hopefully it's nothing.

Hi, Hopefully it's something simple like that.

What is the source of your channels?  IPTV or tuners? If tuners what brand?

I have a similar issue sometimes, just now I’m watching an older movie on live tv (dumb and dumber). The audio creeps ahead. Changing to live seek mode  remedies it. Would it have anything to do with it being a movie on live tv?

jachin99

I currently have emby configured so that I can't seem live tv and I haven't had the issue for a few days.  Im going to turn on live tv seeking and see if any problems arise

jachin99

I turned off direct play for live TV so that I can seek again and the audio drifts on at least a few channels.  HGTV for example drifts quite a bit, and I'm trying the weather channel now.  Here are more details..

The shield TV is the 2019 pro model running emby for android TV Stable 

I'm on server version 4.5.0.29 beta

I see transcoding on my dashboard for live tv from mpeg 2 to h264 via software 

I haven't noticed any audio issues on my Xbox one.  

I have tried disabling and enabling dolby audio processing on the shield itself.  

jachin99

The weather channel doesn't seem to drift so it looks to be specific to certain channels.  The dashboard shows the same transcoding info for each channel.  Are there more details you might need?

jachin99

Yeah,  sorry.  I'm streaming cox cable from a HDHomerun prime.  I'm trying out other channels also but so far just HGTV has issues.  And to be clear, there are no issues when I direct play that channel.  

jachin99

I tested all of my locals along with espn and the discovery channel.  The discovery channel is the only additional channel that drifts.  I think that is probably a big enough sample but I can do more if need be.  Do you need any more info or logs?

19 hours ago, jachin99 said:

Its not only happening on the shield, it happened on TBS on my xbox one also tonight.  

Yes, based on your description, I would imagine the issue is occurring in the transcode/remux (or somewhere else common).

jachin99

I have tried enabling tuner transcoding, disabling hardware acceleration, using directx, and nvec transcoding and nothing seems to help.  TBS drifts no matter what I do.  HGTV seems to have gotten better but I don't want to say that it won't drift again.  What else can I do to remedy the issue?  I have a TBS recording going right now to check that also.  

jachin99

It doesn't seem too consistent.  Emby server didn't honor my record request earlier.  When I get a chance I'm going to confirm write permissions to the tv buffer drive.

jachin99

I moved the tv buffer folder and set permissions for it.  I set a recording and noticed emby created a recording file right away.  I'll test my problem channels when I get a chance.

jachin99

It still acts up at times.  It seems pretty random, and it doesn't constantly lose sync on any one channel.  The only pattern I'm noticing is that It only happens on certain channels.  I made a recording on one of the problem channels but the audio was fine on the recording.  Is there something on the shield itself I should try changing?  Could it be that it only gets out of sync on either interlaced or deinterlaced content?  If so how would I check for that?  I don't see anything about interlacing on stats for nerds.  

19 minutes ago, jachin99 said:

Is there something on the shield itself I should try changing?

Hi.  You reproduce with Theater as well, correct?  I really think whatever is getting out of whack has to be either at the source or ffmpeg.  It could be related to de-interlacing.  If you are in the US, any 1080 channel is probably interlaced.

jachin99

By the source do you mean the tuners?  It drifts on the live channels app also but I haven't noticed any drift on hdhr view.  I can check that app and try restarting the tuners