Library Path not Found

Tekdawg

Tekdawg

Greetings

First off I have this running w/o issue on my windows pc (love it) but trying to move to a Linux box.

When trying to add a library I get an error "Path cannot be found. Please be sure the path is valid and try again".

Setup Info

2 drives:
Internal SSD drive - Kubuntu 20.04

USB 5TB SATA drive - Media File Storage

Emby: Newest version for Linux

Emby user: Added to Sudo and the group (bich) that has permissions to location (both drive and folder storing media)

Folder Info

Folder Name: Movies

File System: ext4

Mounted on: /Media/bich/VOD

Mounted from: /dev/sdc1

Ownership: bich

Group: bich

Owner and Group: Can View & Modify Contents

When trying to add the folder i can see /Media/bich  after that I can do nothing. If I try typing the path /Media/bich/VOD/Movies/ I get the error.

Hope I did not miss any info

TIA,

Rick

AlphardvB

Hey Rick,

if you could explain me how you even got the Emby user added to grant access to the directory's :)

Thank you

Alphard

mastrmind11
7 hours ago, Tekdawg said:

Greetings

First off I have this running w/o issue on my windows pc (love it) but trying to move to a Linux box.

When trying to add a library I get an error "Path cannot be found. Please be sure the path is valid and try again".

Setup Info

2 drives:
Internal SSD drive - Kubuntu 20.04

USB 5TB SATA drive - Media File Storage

Emby: Newest version for Linux

Emby user: Added to Sudo and the group (bich) that has permissions to location (both drive and folder storing media)

Folder Info

Folder Name: Movies

File System: ext4

Mounted on: /Media/bich/VOD

Mounted from: /dev/sdc1

Ownership: bich

Group: bich

Owner and Group: Can View & Modify Contents

When trying to add the folder i can see /Media/bich  after that I can do nothing. If I try typing the path /Media/bich/VOD/Movies/ I get the error.

Hope I did not miss any info

TIA,

Rick

drop into a console and post the output of ls -l from /Media and /bich

Tekdawg

HI @mastrmind11

bich@VOD:/media/bich$ ls -l

total 8
drwxr-xrwx  4 bich bich 4096 Aug 31 01:13 'Disk 1'    <---  This is another internal SATA drive I have but use for other stuff, less capacity.

drwxrwxr-t+ 4 bich bich 4096 Aug 30 17:44  VOD

bich@VOD:/media$ ls -l

total 4

drwxr-x---+ 4 root root 4096 Aug 31 11:12 bich

Thank you

Tekdawg
10 hours ago, AlphardvB said:

Hey Rick,

if you could explain me how you even got the Emby user added to grant access to the directory's :)

Thank you

Alphard

Hi Alphard

Not sure of your question but hope this answers it.

Looking at the  permissions of both the drive and folder I see the group bich as an owner so I added the emby account to the group.

usermod -aG bich emby

To verify emby is in the group

members bich  -->  output info is bich emby

• Confused 1

I figured it out,

I created a password for the Emby account then logged in and formatted the USB drive. I now have full access to it and copied over the data.

Thank you,

Rick

AlphardvB
6 hours ago, Tekdawg said:

Hi Alphard

Not sure of your question but hope this answers it.

Looking at the  permissions of both the drive and folder I see the group bich as an owner so I added the emby account to the group.

usermod -aG bich emby

To verify emby is in the group

members bich  -->  output info is bich emby

Edited by AlphardvB
Forgot comments

AlphardvB

Tell me, why do you have a group named bich and why a user named emby?

what I did yesterday was the following: I installed raspbian via raspi imager on my sd card. Than I took the 2 harddrives and used the program “minitool partition” on my windows machine to format the 2 drives into an ext4-format. When it was finished i plugged them on the raspi and now I can see them on the desktop: 1 is called Kids(because of the kids movies there will be on) and the other I forgot to give a name so instead of Movies its now named 7af99ee...blablabla. 
The first thing I wanted to do is to rename that 2nd drive. So I rightmouse click on it and choose the option rename. Than it already says that the acces is denied. So thats the first problem. The second problem i have (and that was a couple of days ago so thats the reason I reinstalled raspbian again(4th time this week)) is that my emby server couldnt find the drives, also an acces is denied issue. And thats why I dont get it anymore: a whole new installation and still I am at square 1 at the moment. And trust me: it makes me sick that I dont get it. And I have the feeling I have been on every page of the internet to find the solution. 
So if you or someone could help me, please. 

thank you in advance. 

alphard

Hi AlphardvB

I hope this helps you,

Bich is just a general name I gave the first account when installing Kubuntu.

When you install Emby it actually creates a emby user account just no password assigned to it,

1. What I suggest is that move all data off those two drives.
  2. Give the emby user account a password and possible sudo rights (I did)
  3. Log in with emby using that password.
  4. install Gnome Disk and format both drives with ext4.
  5. The emby account should now have rights to the drives.

Use the emby account to log in for library access. Not sure if you log in with the first user account created will allow emby to still work, I need to test that.

You cannot create a emby user account prior to installing Emby as it will fail.

Thanks,

Tekdawg

mastrmind11
17 hours ago, Tekdawg said:

HI @mastrmind11

bich@VOD:/media/bich$ ls -l

total 8
drwxr-xrwx  4 bich bich 4096 Aug 31 01:13 'Disk 1'    <---  This is another internal SATA drive I have but use for other stuff, less capacity.

drwxrwxr-t+ 4 bich bich 4096 Aug 30 17:44  VOD

bich@VOD:/media$ ls -l

total 4

drwxr-x---+ 4 root root 4096 Aug 31 11:12 bich

Thank you

Your permissions were screwed up, so formatting the drive simply removed the folders with bad permissions and you could create them again with proper permissions. Your root folder was set up as root/root with no guest access, and your subfolders had some ACL set up which was likely blocking emby access.  So while deleting everything and recreating the folders solved the problem, it was pretty brute force and unnecessary.  Anyhow, glad you got it sorted out.