Constant "spinning circle" trying to play any content

dmasterp

dmasterp

Been using Emby Server + Theater for a little over a year now. About 2-3 months ago, this issue started up and has been getting REALLY bad. Anything I select and hit "play" on brings up a "theme like" screen, but doesn't load the video. Instead, there is a spinning circle and it stays there FOREVER. I once out of curious left it for over an hour and it never does anything. Just spins. The only recourse is the completely shut down Emby Theater, then reopen and try again. Sometimes, it just does it again. I sometimes have had to force close, reopen, restart video 5 times to get it to play. I have researched everyone online, especially in this forum and nothing has helped. 

Some things tried:

- Upgraded Emby Theater(I have latest now)

- Downgraded Emby Theater

- Complete clean install of Emby Theater

- Went through every video/display/audio setting listed in Emby Theater settings and adjusted everything to all different values

Attached should be logs. PLEASE HELP! Emby Theater is becoming next to useless

embyserver.txt

If you look at the server dashboard what does it show for playing on that device?  Direct Play, Direct Stream or Transcoding?

dmasterp

Hello! Thanks so much for the help!

I just checked. Currently, Emby Theater is running and is right at this moment stuck on the spinning circle. On the server dashboard, it doesn't say what however, just this:
image.png.b94911902d42cd50a6c5756dab4f4e31.png

dmasterp

Great question and I should have added this up front: it does play fine through the browser. I've tested the same show/episode a couple of times and never see it happen there. I've also played content from my Emby server to devices like phones/tablets/smart TVs and never noticed the issue. It seems isolated to Emby Theater on Windows. I even just did a full reinstall and ensure I cleared everything out (appdata files, etc) and still get spinning circle on fresh install.

Do you by any chance have another PC you could install Theater on and test from on the same LAN?  This would help determine if it's just happening on the one PC or both running Theater.

dmasterp

Sure, so I do have a couple of other computers. I did just now test installing Emby Theater onto one of them and tested. No issues on the other computer. I guess that would indicate my main computer is the issue but I have no idea how. I'm having no issues on my main computer, they are very similar too: Both intel CPUs, both nVidia GPUs, both run at 4k (although my main one has HDR and the other does not), both are Windows 10 v2004. I can also confirm that there are no video playback issues on my main rig other than with Emby. Like I have Kodi & VLC installed and no issues playing content on those (I understand they are very different programs, but just to confirm my main rig doesn't have some specific video playback issues).

Is your main rig the HDR and the one with issue SDR?

Could you post the metadata as shown at the bottom of the detail media page so we have an idea of what type of media you're trying to play back?

Both installations are local to the server correct?  Same LAN?

dmasterp

Hello,

Main Rig = HDR @ 4k, 60hz (it's actually a TV for a monitor. Just a Desktop PC I built with nVidia GPU, HDMI to Audio/Video Receiver [Onkyo], then to LG TV)

2nd Test Rig = SDR @ 4k, 60hz (another Desktop, connected to LG computer monitor via Display Port cable)

Metadata = Happens with lots of movie/show files, but for today I was trying to watch: Watchmen S01E08

Here is Meta details:

Video

Title1080p HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level120
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect Ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate1,289 kbps
Color Primariesbt709
Color Spacebt709
Color Transferbt709
Pixel Formatyuv420p10le
Reference Frames1

Audio

TitleEnglish EAC3 6 ch (Default)
LanguageEnglish
CodecEAC3
Channels6 ch
Sample Rate48,000 Hz
DefaultYes

Subtitle

TitleEnglish (ASS)
LanguageEnglish
CodecASS
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Containermkv
PathZ:\Videos\SHOWS\Watchmen\Season 1\S01E08 - A God Walks into Abar.mkv
Size591MB

As for Network setup: Yes, all in the same house. Emby Server is hosted on a 3rd Desktop PC (separate from Main Rig & 2nd Test Rig). They are all on same LAN, even connected to the same TPLINK Net Switch

sooty234

The only thing that causes the loading circle is access/permissions/security. Start looking at the firewall, virus scanner and internet security on that machine. Make sure the stream isn't being scanned or something like that. If you leave it alone, does it eventually start playing? Don't assume that nothing has changed.

Numerous windows updates have gone out recently so those are some pretty big changes.

What kind of drive is your Z: drive? My guess is the drive is unreachable at the time you're trying to play.

• Like 1

dmasterp

@sooty234 I can check that, but that would be very surprising. It's never been an issue for over a year and nothing has changed. I just use the build in Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender for AV. I actually flag the entire share drive that hosts all of my Emby media files in "excluded". What additional Firewall/AV settings specifically need to be adjusted?

@Luke "Z drive" is another computer. It is a Windows 10 computer that hosts a RAID 10 array, also hosts Emby Server. I share that drive out to the network. My main rig has constant access. I have never once had an access issue, so if that is the problem, then it is exclusive to Emby Theater. What suggestions would you make for network shared drives that are specific to Emby. Also, why would Emby Web not have an issue accessing the same drive, but Emby Theater does. 

EDIT / Update:

The issue seems to suddenly be gone, thought testing has been minimal. However, I keep opening videos, exiting out, reopening, and so on... have not seen spinning circle. Downside is that I'm not sure what fixed it, as I've tried so many things, but I have a couple of theories:

1. I have no idea if this is related, but I have a Valve Index VR Headset, it is connected to the same nVidia GPU as my main monitor. (TV = HDMI, Display port for Index). Anyway, Valve or nVidia made a change recently or perhaps even Microsoft but there's been some oddities with audio in particular. I wonder if that has played a role in causing an issue with the video file as it contains audio. I usually fix the issues with the Index by unplugging it, rebooting my computer, then plugging it back in after Windows is fully loaded

2. nVidia did have a driver update that came out last week (I believe a "game ready driver" for MS Flight Simulator). I was just one version behind, but I ran this, did a clean install and rebooted. 

After doing those two things above, I have done a bit of testing with Emby, in particular the Watchmen episode and it never hits spinning circle. Sort of soon to say it's fixed, but seems much beter.

Thought I would add that.

Edited by dmasterp
New information on reported issue.
  • Like 1

dmasterp

It's back to doing it again. Defender & Firewall turned off. Still the spinning circle trying to pay an episode. Over and over again. Cannot play.

Any further suggestions?

sooty234

I told you not to assume that nothing has changed, but you have...

On 8/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, dmasterp said:

@sooty234 I can check that, but that would be very surprising. It's never been an issue for over a year and nothing has changed. I just use the build in Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender for AV. I actually flag the entire share drive that hosts all of my Emby media files in "excluded". What additional Firewall/AV settings specifically need to be adjusted?

Obviously something has changed on that machine. Windows updates can change network permissions, ownership etc. You wouldn't know unless you look. I've had this happen on more than one occasion. 

And you didn't answer my question:

On 8/28/2020 at 12:18 PM, sooty234 said:

If you leave it alone, does it eventually start playing? Don't assume that nothing has changed.

dmasterp

Obviously something has changed on that machine

Yes. Emby theater used to work and now it does not. That is the only change I see. Here's something interesting....I tested with: Kodi, Plex & VLC media player. All the same video files from same mapped network drive. None of them has this issue.

I'm still more than okay with checking settings. But what settings? You mention it's an "ownership" or "permission" issues. Okay....what permissions? If you know of permission issues that can effect Emby asking, wouldn't have an idea what they are and have me check them? 

If you leave it alone, does it eventually start playing?

That's a little vague. What would you consider "eventually"? I once lift it for about 20 minutes to test and it never progresses, though who has that kind of patience for repeated testes? I usually leave it for about 10-20 seconds. Do you think 20 minutes is long enough? If not, how much time would you suggest?

I have to conclude that something is wrong with Emby Theater. Is there any suggestions that can be made to the actual software? Why does this only happen with Emby Theater?

sooty234
6 minutes ago, dmasterp said:

Yes. Emby theater used to work and now it does not. That is the only change I see. Here's something interesting....I tested with: Kodi, Plex & VLC media player. All the same video files from same mapped network drive. None of them has this issue.

I had a feeling you were doing that. In your library config, what address are you using?

• Like 1

yardameus

I was gonna say, make sure you are correctly mapped in Emby settings.  Sometimes updates reset that and suddenly the location isn't playable.

dmasterp

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Library config and address? Do you mean this?

image.thumb.png.0fce79ceaf75e02d9f8c81e5d8948d7d.png

(Note: This is just for TV Shows. I have 8 libraries. Shows seems to be what I have most issue with)

• Like 1

sooty234

Does the machine with the issue have solid network access to that IP and folders? Testing in other apps is useless, because they aren't using the server network sharing. If you want to test that, use VLC as an external player for Theater.

It isn't Theater that has an issue. You've said that Theater works fine other machines in the network. So that means something is happening on that one machine. 

dmasterp

Does the machine with the issue have solid network access to that IP and folders? 

Yes. Always

Testing in other apps is useless

I would disagree and say that may even be a matter of opinion, but okay. How would you test?

because they aren't using the server network sharing

I guess you're not familiar with Plex and how it works?? It's just like Emby, you setup  "Plex server client" on one pc, then a "Plex Media Player" on another. You stream from one to the other. Works on Plex, no issues. Emby it does not

It isn't Theater that has an issue.

May I ask, how are you so certain??

You've said that Theater works fine other machines in the network

I forgot to update about the other computer because that was yesterday and have been trying to fix my main rig, my apologies, but issue on other computer as well.

sooty234

Well, with Plex, everything goes through their servers. With emby, it's direct from your machine. You can't compare the two. Apples and Oranges. 

And now you've updated the info about the other machine. That changes things. Can you get anything in the TV show folder to play? I ask because an mpv log might shine a light.

Did you try using VLC as an external player, like I suggested?

Edited by sooty234

If you setup the optional network share ad grant permissions to that the clients can access the share many Emby clients can playback the video directly from the network vs streaming it through the server.  That's the purpose of setting the optional share.  Of course if it can't access the share or can't direct play the video it will still stream through the server.

dmasterp

@cayars I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Can you explain further? If it helps, direct network play  is what I have gone for. The main rig that I use has the same drive that contains the video files mapped as network drive. I do utilize the optional network share feature. Is this correct in setup?
image.thumb.png.a356f2b552de633e22b39c7d3cbd5163.png

@sooty234 Just setup VLC as external player and no issues. Does this not further indicate an Emby Theater issue? 

Also, about your comment about Plex (see screenshot)

image.thumb.png.9d227f354b73ab18c5df54340b272076.png

Plex 100% has the same abilities to Emby with regards to cloud stream vs direct stream vs direct play. I do understand that this is an Emby forum and don't expect everyone here to have Plex expertise, but you should double check before making an assumption. I haven't used Plex in a bit, but paid for a lifetime pass a while back long before Emby, so decided to spin it back up and compare. I can tell you right now that step for step, setting by setting it matches Emby:

Same host, same network share, same files. Played from same computer. Issue is not on Plex, but is on Emby Theater.

When I created this ticket, I had hoped to speak with Emby software experts. Not for people to tell me how to adjust my own computer(s) and raid configurations in which I have deep knowledge (I work in IT support). I do understand narrowing the issue down, but this discussion seems to COMPLETELY be "emby theater is perfect and your config is wrong"...but no one seems to tell me how other than guesses that don't make any sense.

Suggested problems mentioned:

- Firewall issue (happens with Firewall disabled on host & client PC, not that)

- Anti-Virus (disabled on both, still happens)

- Permissions issue (this is very vague. If there are specific permission needing to be set, what are they? If you do not know, then I have trouble with that being the problem. If software required specific permissions, they should be detailed in the FAQ/Guide/KB, however to just try everything I removed the share and reshared it out. This is only for direct play though right?. For regular cloud streaming, isn't it just that you have a folder like mine (Z:\Main\Videos), then you set that up in Emby's Libraries? What further permission is needed? When the freezing happens, I have an active RDP session into the HOST computer (one hosting both the Z drive share and Emby Server). When I open the drive with video files, it opens fine and also Emby Server is still running. I feel this eliminates a "permission" or "access" issue, but perhaps I'm mistaken. If so, what additional permissions are needed?

If these are all issues, why did it work fine for over a year? The only thing I can think of that supports this is Windows Updates, which I know can break stuff. I did update to Windows 10 v2004 back in early June and feel like this issue has gotten worse for past couple of months. This would perhaps line up time wise, but I'm not 100% on that. If it could be MS update issue, are there any reports of this? Any knowledge base of W10 updates causing issues?

Is there an actual Emby dev or support person I can speak with that has expertise on troubleshooting the software, can perhaps looks through logs and see if there is an issue? I feel like if a permission issue was the problem, it would be logged right? Usually permission issues are logged with an even stating "Access Denied". I can reupload new logs if someone wants.