Play on another device question

as2002

as2002

All,

Apologises if I've missed this in the documentation. My setup is:

Emby server installed on Synology

Accessing the server from a Firefox browser

Play on a Android or Roku client

When I use this option the Firefox window allows me to start, stop and navigate to a specific place in the file. I can't see any option to change the volume. Is there an option for volume changing that I'm missing?

Thanks

Normally, you would need to control the volume on the device that's been cast to.

In some cases you'll be able to remote control the volume though. We'll do a review of this. Thanks.

Yea, for sure but I don't think in the OP situation using Firefox as the master you can control volume?

Depends on if the playing app reports it as being something that can be controlled.

• Thanks 1

as2002

All,

Thank you for your help.

I had a thought about the Roku. It may not have any ability to control sound. It's output is via HDMI and it might just rely on the device it's outputting to. Sorry I'm fairly new to the Roku and hadn't worked that out. In case it helps with the review:

Roku Premiere

Synology 218J

Phone is Samsung Galaxy J5 running Android 6.0.1

Thanks

Well certainly if it's passing through audio to a receiver then you'll need to control with the receiver. It really just depends, we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

To piggyback a bit on the conversation I will add a few bits. The only Roku models with "volume controls" actually on the remote are Roku TV (TCL, Insignia, etc). This limits a Roku TV to RF remote only. It has to send TV commands (these are built by the TV manfacturer) and Roku commands (these are built by Roku themselves). A RF Roku remote can send both TV and Roku commands. A wifi-direct Roku remote can only send Roku commands. Roku commands can be sent from Emby. TV commands cannot be sent from Emby to the Roku. Presently the Roku commands do not support volume. This makes Emby unable to support volume control on the Roku. Some Roku models have side buttons for volume (they support HDMI-CEC volume controls as if they were Roku TV) but these remotes are still WiFi direct and it is simply using HDMI-CEC. Making it more similar to Logitech Harmony remotes but still does not allow Emby to use Roku commands to change the volume.

Edited by speechles