Use premium app features without connecting roku tv to internet

ovos91

ovos91

For security /privacy reasons I block outgoing traffic from my network originating from the mac address of the roku tv. When there is an update for the emby roku app, I temporarily enable internet access to allow for updates.

My emby server is running on a machine within the intranet.

The emby premier license is installed on the server.

This setup has worked fine for movies and tv shows, but I've recently added live tv.

The live tv section shows up within the roku emby app, but when I select it a dialog shows that this requires emby premier. If I enable internet, I can use the live tv section.

I refuse to allow the roku tv to access the internet at all times. Why can't the emby app trust that my server is licensed? What are my options / alternatives? Is emby planning on creating a client for a raspberry pi environment? There has to be some option for those who don't want to be violated by big tech.

Hi.  Premiere will require periodic access to the internet but not constant access.  You would need to allow it to validate about once a week.

pwhodges

But doesn't Premiere validate just on the server?  The client doesn't need that access, does it?  Or have I got that wrong...

Paul

The client will also periodically need to verify the premiere key the Emby server has provided to guarantee everything is legitimate. On Roku this controls the visibility of the Live TV premiere features.

ovos91
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Premiere will require periodic access to the internet but not constant access.  You would need to allow it to validate about once a week.

For the sake of not treating your customers like criminals, can this interval be increased?  This isn't going to fly with my significant other, when they use it and it stops working randomly. And allowing the roku to access the internet at all times doesn't fly with me.

Edit: I should be able to add an exception in my firewall for emby. What is the domain name for the license check? Is the IP for this domain static, the firewall only works for ip addresses and not domain names.

Edited by ovos91

Yes we can look at increasing that internal. Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the disruption.