My Movie primary images all turned grey?

stephen.m.carter.2016

stephen.m.carter.2016

Hi

I'm running 4.4.2.0 as a FreeNAS plug-in.

I found I had wrong metadata in most movies and used a tag editor to fix them. Since then, all the Primary movie images are turned greyscale. The other images such as Logo, Thumb and Backdrop are all still in colour.

I can play any of the movies just fine, as can others using their own accounts.

I noticed the file perms changed when I used the tag editor to allow me as owner only access to them so changed them all back to be quite open (-rwxrwxr-x).

Not sure if that's related but it's the only 2 changes I can think of.

Any ideas why my primary images are all greyscale?

stephen.m.carter.2016

The only colour one in the pic is a backdrop image. I'm guessing the scraper couldn't find a primary image from the metadata or filename.

They all play fine. It's got me stumped.

2102165203_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1608-17-46.thumb.png.900316b5e079dee5b8240fb6cd843621.png

Happy2Play

Do you see the same in a different browser?  Are you using any custom css?

But at the same time those all appear to be treated CoverArt images correct?  If you disabled treatment for Movies does the same happen?

stephen.m.carter.2016
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Do you see the same in a different browser?
Yes. Microsoft Edge in Win10, Google Chrome and Firefox in Ubuntu 20.04, iOS Emby app (v1.9.7)

Are you using any custom css?
Not to my knowledge. I have not modified or copied any css files.
If I select a different theme for my account, such as Dark or APplt TV, they still show grey.

But at the same time those all appear to be treated CoverArt images correct?  If you disabled treatment for Movies does the same happen?
I'm unsure of what settings that refers too. 

In my Movies library, I have these options chosen as per the screenshot title 'screenshot from 2020....'.
949371328_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1613-17-02.thumb.png.b7d87e95bcdd93f684c750eda56a9344.png

Just for kicks I just tried selecting all the other image options then kicked off a manual refresh of metadata but no change apart from downloading the additional artwork.

Have also attached a screenshot (2012.png) showing an example of what Emby shows and the actual graphic file it pulled down from the internet. The file is in colour but in Emby it is Greyscale.2012.thumb.png.0fca1a67bc18e8b1be7ff46d3a47f461.png

Happy to provide any logs that might help. I'm just hoping it is something I have done and not realised, but sure seems a bit wierd.

Try removing the cover art plugin, then restarting the server and see how that compares.

stephen.m.carter.2016
26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try removing the cover art plugin, then restarting the server and see how that compares.

That worked.
Testing I re-installed that plug-in v4.1.9 and restarted Emby server again and the greyscale images returned.

Not too fussed about the overlays that the plugin provides (although I still think they looked nice) so will leave that plug-in uninstalled for now.

Thanks for everyones input. Greatly appreciated!

That's really bizarre.  What OS is your server running on?  Are you on the beta version of the server?

stephen.m.carter.2016
20 hours ago, ebr said:

That's really bizarre.  What OS is your server running on?  Are you on the beta version of the server?

FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2  stable so running based on FreeBSD 11.3. I’m using the Emby plugin which I’m guessing installs and configures a suitable jail to run Emby in. 

stephen.m.carter.2016
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Does the CoverArt plugin have a gray scale setting you might have ticked?

Nope. There’s an option to add profiles but I’ve left alone so is set to Default and another option to ignore certain directories which I didn’t touch either. 

happy to do some testing if anyone is interested otherwise I’m fine leaving as worked around without the plugin installed. 

My guess is it has to do with Skia on that platform somehow.  There is nothing in CoverArt that would intentionally remove color.

• Like 1

It uses hardware acceleration so it could also be gpu related. In any event our next release will update to a new skis version.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Jarery

Removing cover art plugin was it. 
There are no settings within the plugin that may have changed from color to B&W.

I had searched for black and white, not greyscale, so that link to similar post was the answer, thanks

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Jarery said:

Removing cover art plugin was it. 
There are no settings within the plugin that may have changed from color to B&W.

I had searched for black and white, not greyscale, so that link to similar post was the answer, thanks

Can you list your Server platform and server version number.

Happy2Play

Devs will have to comment, but wonder if this is a issue with skia on this platform  FreeNas/TrueNas.

@Luke@ebr

Jarery topic

Edited by Happy2Play

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jarery said:

Removed the cover art plugin and it fixed. 
All good now

Ok we'll try to chase down the issue there. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
HouseOfCards

Yeah, this is still a thing.  I too, run inside a TrueNAS jail and the DVD covers are B/W using MetroCase treatment only.  If I use an alternate of MetroCase, they are in color.  Plug-in bug?

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, SWORMUTH said:

Yeah, this is still a thing.  I too, run inside a TrueNAS jail and the DVD covers are B/W using MetroCase treatment only.  If I use an alternate of MetroCase, they are in color.  Plug-in bug?

Please list server version

But seems isolated to this platform.