Disable "More Like This" for a single library

smokey7722

smokey7722

With everyone staying home nowadays I have gotten a lot of the family to finally start sending me our old content that we had converted from analog to digital (home movies, photos, etc.)  Since the majority of my users are family my thought was to create a library of our stuff so it can be easily accessible by everyone.  As I have been working on getting content formatted correctly and testing, I've noticed that I don't see a way to disable the "More Like This" recommendations.  For example, I have a family video I loaded in, created a basic xml with metadata for it and once Emby parsed it all I am being recommended movies and tv shows.  I don't want to disable this entirely for every user, just for a specific library if at all possible?  Or maybe another way to work around it?

Hi.  Is the library of type "Home Videos and Photos"?

Did you give the items genres?

smokey7722

@ebr Serves me right for using "Mixed Content" and not the Home videos/photos library type!  That looks to have stripped away some of that stuff.  I'm still having another odd issue where even though I have "ReleaseDate" values in the xml I created, its not populating that into the metadata in the content in Emby.  I've noticed that the other content I have in the server (normal Movies for example) look similar in that their xml has ReleaseDates but when I look at the metadata in Emby, there is no value there.  For the Home content I had planned to use Release Date for the date that the event took place.

pwhodges

We can edit what shows on the home page; it would be nice to be able to edit which rows show in the item details as well.  The things like "Next up" and "More like this" are of obvious utility for some people, but for others (or maybe I'm odd) none whatsoever.

Next up shows a list of items, when, of course, only one is actually next (and it doesn't show the first unwatched, which I'd prefer, but the next after the last watched).  And in my system, which has a lot of anime, but a fair number of films (including of opera and ballet), the More like this list could just as well be random - I can't recall that I was ever prompted by it to consider watching something (after all, I can already choose, I mean, I put all the media there, so I know my library better than the metadata providers anyway!).  For me both these rows are just screen clutter.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

smokey7722

@Luke and @Happy2Play, A really basic example below that I have been playing with.  Ideally the plan is to try to populate as much of this in the xml as possible for Emby.  I don't permit Emby to write into the content paths so I am formatting the content and metadata as best I can for it as I load the content in (so that means editing content within Emby isn't how I would prefer to do it as that won't persist if I have to rebuild Emby one day).  In this case this was a funeral service that was recorded yesterday (due to COVID) so I was trying to use ReleaseDate to indicate when the event happened.  I can certainly put it in the description as well but I assumed if I can get it in ReleaseDate then I could potentially search the library easier for all content from that month or year for example.  I'm sure some of this may be wrong as I originally based this one off of a Movie's xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Title>
    <LocalTitle>Funeral Services</LocalTitle>
    <ProductionYear>2020</ProductionYear>
    <Language>English</Language>
    <LanguageCode>en</LanguageCode>
    <Country>US</Country>
    <Overview>Funeral Services</Overview>
    <Tags>
        <Tag>Funeral</Tag>
    </Tags>
    <Type>Home Video</Type>
    <ReleaseDate>2020-07-05</ReleaseDate>
    <Added>7/5/2020 6:18:08 PM</Added>
    <Description>Funeral Services</Description>
</Title>

Edited by smokey7722

smokey7722

I would open up the content and click Edit Metadata, and it shows the Release Date as empty as shown below.  I could probably just put the date in the description fields so its available to see somewhere.  Right now I can only see the year as 2020 but otherwise not much more.  I'm playing with the description now as well trying to get it to read it in.  I assume Home Videos and Photos libraries can still read in xml's?  I can't find much in the wiki talking about what to name it and to be honest I don't see the xml being referenced (currently named movie.xml) in any scans

image.png.2d672844ded0c6adda44ab6be04bdc4c.png

Edited by smokey7722

At yes that's the issue I'm pretty sure. The older xml format I think way only built for movies and series.

smokey7722
Just now, Luke said:

At yes that's the issue I'm pretty sure. The older xml format I think way only built for movies and series.

Is there any way that we can get basic support for file based metadata in some way for this type of a library?  I'm glad we figured it out that thats most likely the issue at least so I don't waste my time but some basic support for even just title, description, and release date would be awesome.

smokey7722
10 hours ago, Luke said:

How/when were these xml files created?

First I tried creating a generic one using MediaCenterMaster (that populated media information like bitrates and various other details), then edited it to strip out stuff like the Studio and other fields that won't apply.  Then I created a different one that I removed the media information and left just the stuff outlined above.  Though it seems that if Emby isn't reading metadata files in for this library type that would make sense?  I expected I would be creating these files manually but its only a few fields that I really care about at the moment, though it would be awesome to be able to also add the names of everyone who is included in the photo or video so we could search based on that too.

Happy2Play

I would have to look at the plugin code again but use <PremiereDate> instead of <ReleaseDate>.  As I got that to work using your xml above.

**Quick look at the code it only contains PremiereDate in parser

There is no option to disable "More Like This", only a option to exclude external content in suggestions.

• Like 1

smokey7722
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I would have to look at the plugin code again but use <PremiereDate> instead of <ReleaseDate>.  As I got that to work using your xml above.

**Quick look at the code it only contains PremiereDate in parser

There is no option to disable "More Like This", only a option to exclude external content in suggestions.

What did you name the xml file?  I'll make sure I have that correct as well based on your test.

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, smokey7722 said:

What did you name the xml file?  I'll make sure I have that correct as well based on your test.

I used movie.xml.