Performance Issues on QNAP NAS

cam1313

cam1313

I have Emby Server running on my QNAP TS-873e NAS which has a AMD R-Series RX-421BD quad-core 2.1 GHz processor (Turbo Core to 3.4 GHz) with 64GB of RAM and 2 x M.2 1TB (SATA III 6 GB/s) SSDs set-up for Cache Acceleration.  I have a Gigabit network connection with the NAS default gateway set to an adapter that is connected directly to my modem which averages about 600Mbps down and 900Mbps up.  My Emby Server application is installed on a stand alone SSD system drive (configured as it's own volume) in the NAS to further increase performance, however, I still experience transcoding issues that result in buffering or require users to reduce the quality to stream.  I have another instance of Emby Server (exact same library and settings) that runs off my desktop computer which has an Intel Core i-9900K processor and 16GB of RAM, which runs flawlessly.  I don't understand why I can't get the Emby Server on my NAS to operate correctly.  I am a lifetime Emby Premiere member and have tried enabling hardware acceleration but it has not helped.  Primarily, the issues I'm having streaming are with 1080p HEVC files (.mkv), which I understand may be a difficult container to transcode, but I feel that my setup should allow for uninterrupted streaming.  What am I missing?  Is my hardware not adequate; Is there something I need to update in my settings; or are these types of files never going to work correctly when running Emby Server on my NAS?  Thanks in advance for any ideas!

PenkethBoy

Your NAS cpu is quite capable - but not that powerful - especially compared to the 9900k which is approx 6 times more powerful when comparing passmark values - so is not a valid comparison

If you are getting buffering issues - very likely what you are transcoding is transcoding slower than realtime

The container is not the issue has no effect on transcoding

The codec does affect transcoding speed among other things like bitrate of the original file and if you are selecting subtitles etc etc

You need to go over an example - with all details - more the better

Also you need to provide an emby log and ffmpeg log for the example - as you have described only briefly what is happening but without any details

• Like 1

cam1313

PenkethBoy, thanks for your quick response. Let me try to give a more specific example:

One of my users was having issues when playing Game of Thrones using the Emby app on his Fire TV Stick.

I believe the play mode was Direct Stream, with the quality set to auto for a video that has a 1920x1080 resolution and a video codec of H264 (direct).

Attached are the emby and ffmpeg logs. 

Please let me know if there are any other details required and thanks again!

ffmpeg-remux-bfd104f1-175d-4e47-9f00-46ccc8d74333_1.txt embyserver.txt

cam1313

Hi Luke,

Thanks for weighing in. To be clear, when you say Web App do you mean when accessing Emby through a web browser? I’ve reached out to the person having the issue (my Dad) and asked him to try that out and let me know. 

I’ve tried to replicate the issue on my own home network but it streams fine on both my computer when accessed in my browser and on my 4K Fire TV. 

Another point of clarification that may be useful is we thought it may be a network problem in my dad’s home theater so he purchased an Ethernet adapter for his Fire TV which is now hard wired to his router. 

I’ll post back once my Dad’s been able to try to play the same video on other devices in his home.

Thanks again. 

Update: I had another user outside my home network try the same file on the web app and they had no issues, so really not sure what's going on.

Edited by cam1313

CTPAHHIK

Hello, Cam

Does your dad have Fire TV Stick 4K or non 4K version?

I've noticed a lot of improvements to Emby App this past year and have no problem playing 4K content with Fire TV 2, Fire TV 3 and Stick 4K. There should not be any transcoding happening for those devices.

Check, if there a bandwidth limit for emby account. If there is none, internet connection could be an issue.

You can also disable transcoding on per user basis. If video refuses to play at all this might be client device, if video plays and keeps buffering all the time - this is bandwidth problem.

• Like 1

I would suggest lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server will convert it to a lower bitrate. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1