Cannot connect to my server

Fish21
Go to solution Solved by Fish21,

Fish21

Hi,

I have set up a Emby server on my windows desktop (LAN cable, static IP) but I cannot access it on the Emby app on my shield (LAN cable, static IP).

I can see the server is there but when I try to connect, a message pops up saying somehting like it cannot connect to my desktop. Maybe the server is no longer available. Do you want to remove it? Then I have the options WAKE, REMOVE or CANCEL.

Hitting WAKE gives a message cannot wake up.

I have forwarded the port of the server in my router both UDP and TCP

I have disabled my windows firewall on my desktop running the server.

I have disabled my antivirus on my desktop running the server.

I have added a rule for port 80 in the windows defender firewall both UDP and TCP

But the issue remains. 

I have tried to log in to the server IP address using a webbrowser on my phone connected to same network via wifi. Page does not load.

When I try to add the server manually on the Shield Emby app using my desktop IP and port, it gives me the message 'java.lang.illegalstateexception: expefcted BEGIN_ARRAY butwas STRING aat line 1 comumn 1 path $'

Can someone help please?

Edited by Fish21

pwhodges

Are the Shield and the desktop actually on the same subnet?  And what you mean when you say that the Shield can see that the server is there but fails to connect - how does it show it can see it?

Paul

Fish21

I am not sure about the subnet. Not really familiar with that. However the default Gateway is correct in both the shield and desktop. 
I have put the ip settings of the shield to DHCP just to be sure. I assume it would then use the correct subnet. But still does not work.

When I say I can see the server, I mean that when I log in to the Emby player app in the shield and go to Admin, then choose change server (because my default server is on my NAS) I can choose the desktop server but when I do it wont connect.

The NAS server connects fine btw

235C7EBB-4C36-4E85-BF69-D545FF7418DB.jpeg

Edited by Fish21

pwhodges

Have you told it the port for Emby anywhere (sorry, I'm unfamiliar with how the Shield presents things)?

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Fish21

I'm not sure I understand yor question. Do you mean if I have entered the port 8096 somewhere in the Shield network settings?

If so, no i have not. There is no option to add ports as far as I can see.

I did forward the port on my internet router and made a rule in the windows firewall if that is what you meant

pwhodges

Then I don't know how the Shield client finds where your Emby server is.  Sorry, but I think someone who knows the Shield should take over from me!

Paul

• Solution
Fish21

I ran Minitoolbox to clean up my network settings and this seems to have solved it.

I can connect now.

Thanks for the patience and effort!