Web access forbidden even on local network

fogpuppy

fogpuppy

Yup that will work for now.  I may also be able to force the DNS server to push out ip4 addresses or maybe even turn off ip6 totally for a while. 

fogpuppy

Plus while it’s strange to turn on remote access ... the firewalls won’t let people access it anyway so it’s not a huge issue. 

• 5 months later...
Techgeek

Hi Guys,

I'm seeing the same "forbidden" issue using a .local domain name, but only from Safari. If I use Chrome on the same Mac it works correctly.

No IPv6 pings here though.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:49 PM, Techgeek said:

Hi Guys,

I'm seeing the same "forbidden" issue using a .local domain name, but only from Safari. If I use Chrome on the same Mac it works correctly.

No IPv6 pings here though.

Hi, perhaps it can't resolve your domain name? Did you try by ip address?

• 3 months later...
nuoyaxin

I hope it's ok to revive this thread, but I'm having the same issue.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:50 PM, Luke said:

Hi, perhaps it can't resolve your domain name? Did you try by ip address?

Yes, in Safari it works with the IP address <IP>:8096, but the .local:8096 does not. In another browser however both URLs work.

Using the ____.local URL without port does bring me to the interface of my NAS though or using a different port brings me to that designated application. Only the port 8096 gives me the "Forbidden".

(Emby does work fine otherwise, using IP, it's more a question of consistency and c convenience.)

Have you allowed HTTP access on the share it is installed in or rather rights access to the shares in question.. in other words I would look into the security settings within the NAS..

nuoyaxin
26 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Have you allowed HTTP access on the share it is installed in or rather rights access to the shares in question.. in other words I would look into the security settings within the NAS..

I can reach other application on the server (it’s only one volume) using http and other ports. If it was in the NAS, shouldn’t have other browsers have the same result? Therefore, could the fault be within Safari...?

Edited by nuoyaxin
Supplemental information.

I am seeing some info online about Safari and localhost...

Have you changed your HOST file at all? ...and have you tried 127.0.0.1 as the ip instead of localhost? ( they are the same BTW )

EDIT: May also try to clear website data for localhost.. AND is it trying to force an HTTPS connection to the NAS?

Edited by Guest

nuoyaxin

I am not using localhost (that would be the computer I am on...?), I am using a customized local network address <NAS name>.local (if my NAS was named "emby", it would be emby.local). I think <NAS name> is a NetBIOS domain name (at least that's what the NAS tells me)?

BTW, it's a Synology NAS. I am only trying to connect locally within my network, not externally.

(Your support is highly appreciated.)

EDIT:

HTTPS enforce was turned off.

I found a/the solution: I turned of IPv6 on the NAS (I saw something mentioned in another thread just now; on my router IPv6 was already turned off beforehand). Once I removed IPv6 in the NAS I could connect using the http://<NAS_name>.local:8096.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by nuoyaxin
Added resolution.