Migrate from Mac to Windows

thegrunge

thegrunge

I have 2 emby servers, one on Mac and the other on Windows. I am thinking of passing people to the windows server following a hardware update, but I do not know if the simple backup will work, because when I went from windows to mac it did not work. I had only restored members. and what they’ve seen in my bookstores, but it looks like it’s not working

@@cayars

Since you have both systems working you should be able to basically use the directions from the knowledge base: https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001849007

The database is pretty easy to move by both the directory copy method and the use of the backup plugin.  So you should not need to recreate users if done right.

Obviously your libraries could be quite different and need to be re-setup due to path difference but that can be easily done and fixed up with library scans.

Give it a go and let us know where you get stuck, hit an obstacle or need help.

thegrunge

in fact the 2 servers have exactly the same content, I just want to be sure of the method used for the "already seen" part of each member. the last time I used the backup configuration server plugin. I had used the back up of My Windows server and I had used it on the Mac to restore only this portion, but it seems that it did not work

It should work just fine.  Take your time and test things out well and you shouldn't have a problem.  If you do just let us know.

thegrunge

I confirm that the transfer has been completed. Above all, do not forget to check that the users of the 2 servers have exactly the same name!

• Like 1

thegrunge

@Luke yes everything that was shown as seen on the mac is shown as seen on Windows.  I restored only the "already seen" part of the Mac on Windows and I made sure that the users on Windows have exactly the same name as on the mac

• Like 1

Happy2Play

As a note for others, database userdata is stored with a id for said user not Name, so id 1 is the first user created so the order of users created matters also.

restore.thumb.jpg.d75556196a613cdb505371392c290e26.jpg

So without all the proper context ID 1 could be the wrong person depending on the order of first person added to the server.

With the Server Configuration Plugin all this is taken into account for User and Userdata, just like the ability to map one users data to another during a restore.