DVD Folder Structure - single disc, multiple discs

Sorahl

Sorahl

Hi folks,

I've been struggling with this and finally decided to reach out and get some help.

I have, like many of you, a sizable movie collection. My choice of dealing with my dvd library is to rip dvd discs to be played on my mediacenter as if they were put in a dvd player. 

Each movie is is in a VIDEO_TS folder (is this best? or should all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder be in a folder like this

MOVIE Name - 

-  fiiles here

or 

MOVIE Name - 

- VIDEO_TS

- files here

and now the bigger issue.

how best to deal with multiple discs

currently I have 

MOVIE NAME -

- Disc 1

-VIDEO_TS

- DISC 2

- VIDEO_TS

as you may have guessed this is not working for me in EMBY, where as it does if I just launch vlc   

Suggestions are welcome, solutions craved

Regards,

john

Hi.  We highly suggest converting those to more stream-friendly files - mkv or mp4.  Most modern devices will not understand disc layouts which means we have to try and convert them on the fly and that is hit or miss these days (no one is doing new development with those formats).

Sorahl

Thanks for your response. Converting them isn't an option, I have over 1200 dvd's ripped in this format. Is there no folder layout that I can try that Emby would interpret and display appropriately?

John

Sorry but support for this is only going to get worse, I'm afraid.  Especially when it comes to playback.

There are tools that can do these conversions in bulk/batch and you don't have to re-encode.

Sorahl

Luke,

For example

M_Drive\M_Drive_TV_Box_Sets\Hopalong_Cassidy\Hopalong_Cassidy_Disc1

\Hopalong_Cassidy_Disc2

...

\Hopalong_Cassidy_Disc12

in the disc1 folder is the VideoTS folder for that disc. On that disc there are 8 episodes. Each Disc shows up separately in my Emby LIbrary, but when I play, for example Disc 1, it only plays ONE of the 8 titles. It doesn't bring up the DVD menu as I would expect. If i were to load that folder in VLC Player I get the dvd menu and can select any or all of the 8 episodes on it.  I guess I thought I should get similar behaviour when selecting Disc 1 in Emby.

Does this make sense as I've tried to explain it?

John

Been a while since I've used this but don't think it's going to work very well with TV Shows like this but mostly for movies.  It's not going to read/use DVD menus or things like that and will have an almost impossible way of trying to match up episodes.

RanmaCanada

use makemkv to remux everything don't convert them.  Emby hasn't supported this feature for years.  Those of us with large raw content, have had to do this.  It's not that difficult, just time consuming.

Just be glad you don't have anime that has one pgc and the subs are all timed from the beginning so no subs show up after episode 1 due to timings haha:)

• Haha 1

Sorahl

is there a way to revert to a previous version of Emby that supports the external player?

even my regular movies in video_ts are not playing like they used to. I know.. I have heard everyone saying that moving to mkv or mp4 is the best way but... i'm being stubborn..

john

"Resistance is futile"  LOL

You really do want to start converting your files as compatibility across many different apps (not talking Emby) will suffer.  People right now want streaming formats, not static formats for media players.

You may want to look into Kodi and Theater as they both offer the features you are asking for.

• Like 1

Sorahl

I'll check Kodi,  what is Theater?

(Even Locutus resisted)

Cheers,

John

Edited by Sorahl
cuz

Emby theater supports external players. I think that will be your best bet.

• Like 1