Server causing Windows 10 to hang every 10 minutes

FormulaFox

FormulaFox

So the other night while trying to sleep, I noticed my MP3 library(which I play at night while sleeping) kept buzzing in that way you get when Windows hangs for a few seconds. After ruling out HD and RAM issues, I noticed it was occurring every ten minutes on the dot. So I opened up Task Manager, set it to list the program sucking up the most CPU on top, and wait.

Every time the computer had a hangup, Emby popped to the top of the list either right before, or appeared for a moment just after the hangup ended. Closing Emby ended the hangups. Reopening it caused them to resume at the same 10-minute intervals.

I turned off real-time monitoring of my library folders to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

So...Where do we go from here? Any other settings that may make a difference that I could check, or is there a possible issue in the program that needs to be addressed?

For the record, nothing else causes this no matter how much CPU or RAM is being used. I even tested with my most resource-intensive games.

FormulaFox

A reinstall of Emby seems to have fixed the issue(it still pops up to near the top of the CPU usage every ten minutes, demanding 1-2% of my CPU for about three seconds, but it does not cause the system to hang), but now I have a new issue...

Library scan is stuck at 97%, but all files in the library folder are showing, and only a small fraction of files have thumbnails and no more seem to be getting generated.

Library scan is stuck at 97%

Hi, it's not stuck. I would just give it time and allow it to finish. If you can please attach an emby server log then I can provide more insight into what is happening. Thanks.

FormulaFox

Hi, it's not stuck. I would just give it time and allow it to finish. If you can please attach an emby server log then I can provide more insight into what is happening. Thanks.

Attached is every log Emby has generated since the reinstall at the time I am posting - numbered to go from oldest to newest.

It's still showing 97% complete, and has made no visible progress on thumbnail generation.

1hardware_detection-63723357893.txt

2embyserver-63723358027.txt

3hardware_detection-63723358047.txt

4embyserver-63723358583.txt

5hardware_detection-63723358603.txt

6embyserver-63723363059.txt

7hardware_detection-63723363079.txt

8embyserver-63723369600.txt

9embyserver.txt

FormulaFox

The CPU/memory spikes are still occurring, but the library scanning/thumbnail issue stopped after I told it to re-scan the next day. Thought I had already posted that update - my bad.

• 3 weeks later...
FormulaFox

CPU/memory spikes have begun causing brief system hangups again. Still every ten minutes on the dot for up to five seconds. Attached latest log.

Last hangup in the period the log covers happened at 5:31 pm and 40-some seconds EDT, but I notice there is nothing shown in the log until around 10-15 seconds AFTER the hangup.

emboylog 2020-05-16 5-32pm.txt

Edited by FormulaFox

FormulaFox

In order to help illustrate the issue, I used OBS to make a recording of the event the moment it happens, with a Youtube video playing and the Task Manager showing to show Emby jumping to the top. The recording doesn't catch the "buzz" my speakers emit, but at 43 seconds you can see Emby jump to the top of the programs for CPU usage, followed by a video and audio skip, before it drops away. I also had the clock showing to provide a time stamp, and have attached an updated log to reflect the timing of the occurrence. (as I can't upload a video file to the forum, I've attached a Dropbox link at the bottom of the post)

The last time it got to this level, I had to uninstall and reinstall Emby to make it stop, but the CPU usage spikes kept occurring. It's weird that this is causing the system to hang like this, as while Emby jumps to the top of the list for CPU resources, it still only uses a very small percentage of the total CPU. This I imagine is why it wasn't an issue immediately after installation, but I've no idea why it becomes an issue later.

I hope we can figure this out. I don't fancy the idea having to uninstall and reinstall Emby every few weeks to avoid this, though I'll do it if that's what it takes. (I'm going to wait to reinstall this time in case you want me to check anything while it's still causing hangups - I'm just turning the server off for now)

Video link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/681k3shhuthcpz5/2020-05-16%2018-40-47.mkv?dl=0

embylog 2020-05-16 6-43 pm.txt

Edited by FormulaFox

FormulaFox

Okay, then, I'll just remove the software and try again sometime down the road after some updates have been done in the hopes that it's randomly been fixed.

Hi there, apologies for the delay. As a test, would you mind uninstalling the Dlna and Port mapper plugins? Then restart the server and see if that helps. Thanks !

FormulaFox

Hi there, apologies for the delay. As a test, would you mind uninstalling the Dlna and Port mapper plugins? Then restart the server and see if that helps. Thanks !

Done. Restarting server could take it anywhere up to two hours before hanging starts again, but CPU spikes would always begin within thirty minutes. I will post information once I have it.

FormulaFox

No sign of CPU spikes in the hour since the restart. Gonna give it a bit more time to be sure - will post the log in order to cover all bases.

FormulaFox

Great, let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Still no sign of CPU spikes, nor any system hangs(none caused by Emby at least - accidentally triggered one while uninstalling a game :P ).

Attached the log to provide any information it may have to help with.

Thanks for the belated help.

embylof 2020-05-20 11-14 pm.txt

Great, thanks. Can you add back the Dlna plugin and see how that compares?

FormulaFox

I had to head in to work shortly, so I'll have to put that off to tomorrow when I can monitor things, but I will do so.

FormulaFox

All right, reinstalled the plugin and restarted the server just after 2:45 pm. Had a lot of stuff to do so wasn't able to really monitor it until about a half hour ago, but no sign of CPU spikes in the Task Manager, and no system hangups. Log is attached.

embylog 2020-05-21 8-01 pm.txt

FormulaFox

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Spoke too soon. Started getting system hangs again last night, but there's still no sign of CPU spikes when the hangs occur.

I've removed the DLNA plugin again and we'll see if it fixes things for a longer duration. I'll post the appropriate log if issues start cropping up again, but I'm gonna give it a full 24 hours to be sure.

I have no objection to keeping this removed, as I never seem to use the DLNA component. I'll post another log if I start having trouble again.

EDIT: Before uninstalling the DLNA plugin, I took a look at it's settings and noticed that "Blast Alive Messages" was on, and set to 600 second intervals - AKA, 10 minutes. If having the DLNA plugin uninstalled fixes things longer-term, the next thing I'm going to try is reinstalling it and turning that setting OFF.

Edited by FormulaFox

FormulaFox

Okay, so, had to run it an extra day due to needing to reboot the computer midway through previously(and resetting Emby has always reset whatever timer is leading up to the system hangs), but I've gone a day with no hangups again with the DLNA plugin again removed. Immediately after I post this, I'll be reinstalling the DLNA plugin and turning off Blast Alive Messages to see if I get the same results.

In order to ensure I don't accidentally delete it I'm attaching the log for this run now so it's easily retrieved for any future need that may or may not arise.

embylog 2020-5-34 4-23 pm.txt

Ok thanks. If you think this is consistent, can you also try removing dlna and adding the port mapper plugin back?

FormulaFox

Ok thanks. If you think this is consistent, can you also try removing dlna and adding the port mapper plugin back?

I was thinking that as the next step after this. I focused on the DLNA plugin first because it seemed to have reintroduced the issue, and while I don't use it particularly often(as every time I access the server, even on home network, it's through an Emby app), it's a function I would like to have ready in case I have to use a device that's DLNA compliant but has no Emby app.