Server causing Windows 10 to hang every 10 minutes

FormulaFox

If you have manually setup your router and will adjust if needed (ie changing ports) then you don't need this plugin installed.  Worse case you can re-install it. :)

Luke broke this out of the core code so that you could remove it if needed/wanted.

Edited by cayars

FormulaFox

I had to set things up manually even with PortMapper installed. With the VPN up I absolutely could not access my media externally without doing so.

One thing to keep in mind is that PortMapper uses UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) which many routers have turned off.  More and more routers are being shipped with better security set out of the box (good thing) which has this feature turned off.

I may likely create an article or two on additions for setting up ports for Emby on your router and may dive into when you need PortMapper plugin and when you don't.  But it's safe to say if you can setup your router/firewall with port forwarding then you don't need the Emby plugin installed.

This feature isn't quite as useful as it used to be due to UPnP being turned off on many routers these days but still helps some people so it's better to have it installed than not as a general install.  But when you don't need it just uninstall it.  Saves errors in log files not being there as well!

Carlo

FormulaFox
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Are you still running into this?

I posted yesterday that I had not had a recurrence and included a copy of the log.