HDHomeRun Model Choices for LiveTV using NextPVR

smokey7722

smokey7722

So I run my MB server on Windows 2008 R2 so I cain't use ServerWMC.  I've installed NextPVR and I've run the wiring and installed an antenna.  Next step is to pickup the tuner to use.  I have an old AverMedia PCI based dual ATSC tuner but my server is a VM and I don't have any PCI slots in the ESX server, I can't pass the device into the VM to use it.  So I am looking at picking up an HDHomeRun.  The question is which model to pickup.  The older HDHR3, newer HDHR4 or the upgraded HDTC.  The HDHR3 looks like it'd work, although it would output MPEG2.  The HDHR4 is MPEG2 only as well but is the newer hardware and support DLNA output (which I really don't need or want as I would be using MB).  The HDTC supports H264 output and DLNA.  Looks like all three are supported in NextPVR already so theres no concern there.  For those using an HDHR4 or HDTC, how does the DLNA stuff interact with MB?  Is there a way to disable it on the tuner so it doesn't advertise in the house in addition?

Thanks in advance!

sbaeder@aol.com

A lot depends on what you are using for the source!  (and not sure why setting up a windows 7 - even a VM - to run media center is "out")...BUT, based on that, I am guessing you are just going to try to view "unrestricted" content - i.e. OTA and clearQAM stuf, so you don't need a "cable card" or the WMC ability to view/record DRM'd content.

In that case, I would go for the newer box - H264 is a lot smaller.  As for the DLNA "advertisements", you can't disable them, but you can ignore them :-)

Scott

smokey7722

A lot depends on what you are using for the source!  (and not sure why setting up a windows 7 - even a VM - to run media center is "out")...BUT, based on that, I am guessing you are just going to try to view "unrestricted" content - i.e. OTA and clearQAM stuf, so you don't need a "cable card" or the WMC ability to view/record DRM'd content.

In that case, I would go for the newer box - H264 is a lot smaller.  As for the DLNA "advertisements", you can't disable them, but you can ignore them :-)

Scott

As stated I am using ATSC (OTA) tuning.  No cable service here other than my modem so no clearQAM or Cable Cards.  I recently got rid of all of my Ceton tuners when I dropped cable.

Setting up another VM for this is not an option as I already have a bunch (4x FreeBSD, 3x Windows 2008 R2) serving different purposes in the house and at this point don't have the resources in the chassis to support another VM, nor do I have the desire to create another one just to serve roughly 22 available (in theory I have 22 within range though I may disable some) channels that won't get watched VERY often.

The comment on DLNA is just not having another DLNA server broadcasting to my devices in the house to complicate the client experience.

Sven

hi smokey, If you have problems with nextpvr itself just ask. And I try to solve them.

I don't use a HDHomeRun, I don't know if we can in Belgium. But I know @@Luke is using one..

Maybe he can help?

smokey7722

hi smokey, If you have problems with nextpvr itself just ask. And I try to solve them.

I don't use a HDHomeRun, I don't know if we can in Belgium. But I know @@Luke is using one..

Maybe he can help?

Thanks.  I haven't gotten the tuner yet, was researching first (and I have a few friends who have old ones who are no longer using them so I am waiting to get info on which models they are).  I already installed NextPVR and MBS connected right up to it.  I haven't subscribed to any schedule yet as I can't test it yet so figured no point.  Once I get a tuner I will be sure to report back.