NFO Metadata Reading Feature

Luke

SikSlayer

All the titles that were affected have nfo files that were changed on the 12th. Maybe this was some bug in some intermediate version of the plugin (there have been a number of updates in recent times). Their .xml files are still the originals, some years old.

I've also noticed the names for certain films have been changed to add the year at the end of the title.

For example, "Jurassic Park" has been changed to "Jurassic Park (1993)".

All of these also have changed nfo files from the 12th of June.

Edited by SikSlayer

when the plugin writes the nfo, it writes the same data that you see when you look at the metadata manager. that's basically it. it doesn't change names or append years to the end of names, or pick new values for custom sort titles.

sfnetwork

Ah I see. I'm so sorry! For testing i've used the german standard dd.MM.yyyy

So only <credits> still don't work for me.

Credits... how is your NFO vs mine? Working fine here...

SikSlayer

I've found the problem. Media Center Master is to blame for this.  :angry:

Now I have to re-fix all my content I spent an hour fixing yet AGAIN.  <_<

Errrr. maybe not?  :blink:

I had MCM write all new .nfo files, and as I watched the log, I saw the names I spent all that time fixing pop up again, but when I check the files, they're still fixed, all except one.

But you're right, its not the nfo plugin.

Thanks for the help. :D

Edited by SikSlayer

pünktchen

Credits... how is your NFO vs mine? Working fine here...

It's also working for me now :huh: 

It must be too late at night when I'm testing...

@@sfnetwork and @@Luke thanks for your patience!

• Like 1

make sure to go tell everyone at xbmc. native support for nfo coming in next server release without the need for any media browser xml (except for types that don't appear to have nfo's, like games?)

@@xnappo

pünktchen

There is just one thing that confuses me:

When i use "refresh all data", the local scraped data gets overwritten with web data. Shouldn't local data always be preferred?

Beside this, why is "refresh only missing data" not the standard?

refresh all incorporates all metadata settings. refresh missing is not the standard because the realtime monitor and regular library scan will automatically pick up manual changes to metadata files. so the majority of the use cases of the editing interface are manual edits, and internet refreshes.

steve1977

Wow, I only found out now about the plan to drop the XMLs for NFOs. This would indeed be fantastic. Does this also mean that I can finally get rid of the metadata folder for tvshows?

What's the best way of testing?

sfnetwork

Does this also mean that I can finally get rid of the metadata folder for tvshows?

What's the best way of testing?

Indeed, I never thought of that, getting rid of those metadata folders.... nice..

To test it, personally, I created another media folder (test) and I copied existing TV show folders but without all XML, etc... basically, XBMC only ready...

sfnetwork

SF - Is the extrathumbs duplication still needed with gotham?

well, it is the same as Frodo to my knowledge (didn't REALLY confirmed it) but duplication is because some skins uses extra thumbs in some views and the fact is that users prefer to have backdrops instead of actual thumbs..

I think Fatal in MetaBrowser fetches backdrop and reduces size (or is planning to or was just discussed, can't remember)

Does anyone use date formats within their nfo's that are not yyyy-MM-dd  ?

steve1977

Just realized that I have quite a few error messages in my log file upon MBS startup. I believe this may be related to the new NFO treatment. May I ask your help to take a look at the log file below and please let me know if any other info helpful. Thanks!!!

https://www.paste.to/GWiuiPd4

@@fatal / @@sfnetwork

for the credits tag, can you tell me which is correct? thanks.

Btw. MBS writes

name1 / name2

but it should be

name1

name2

steve1977

Just realized that I have quite a few error messages in my log file upon MBS startup. I believe this may be related to the new NFO treatment. May I ask your help to take a look at the log file below and please let me know if any other info helpful. Thanks!!!

https://www.paste.to/GWiuiPd4

Any thoughts on the errors above. Related to teh NFO metadata reading feature or shall I open a separate thread? What made me post is here is that below repeats dozens of times at start-up. Full log above. Thanks!

1. 2014-07-06 10:48:23.4320 Error - App: Error in Xbmc nfo
  2.         Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

i am not sure but i've been updating the xml writing this week in case that was the problem. as a test, try deleting one of them, then refreshing the item to create the nfo. then refresh it again and see if there are any errors. thanks.

steve1977

i am not sure but i've been updating the xml writing this week in case that was the problem. as a test, try deleting one of them, then refreshing the item to create the nfo. then refresh it again and see if there are any errors. thanks.

Thanks for your quick reply. Let me add a bit explanation to explain and also let me better understand your suggestion:

* I don't think MBS is negatively impacted by these errors. All movies show properly. Only issue is that the log immediately gets 3MB huge at startup given these hundreds of error messages

* I am on version 3.0.5289.18702

* Advanced metadata settins show NFO first (as preferred) followed by XML; also I still include both XML and NFO in the advanced settings, but am eagerly waiting for the moment that I can actually unselect the XML files here

* I am unclear how it works when deleting NFO or XML files. I tried a few times in the past, but ultimately ended up having to rename the movie folder and name to get the XML/NFO recreated. That may have happened only in the past and may have been fixed now?

* You suggesting me to delete NFO and XML file for a specific movie? And then figure out whether it reduces the hundreds of error message by one?

* What would be the best "version" of MBS to try this out given you mentioned having made changes this week

Thanks in advance!

ok, nevermind, just wait for the beta then. if it still has errors in the log, try what i suggested as a test.